Yanks are everywhere!!

Originally posted by Kitty:

A real Aussie wouldn't be caught dead drinking Foster's. Victoria Bitter is the drink of all top Aussies.

Oi,

Kitty

I beg to differ. Coopers Pale Ale is the only beer worth its salt, just be sure to turn the stubbie upside down first before opening it to get all the greeblie bits properly mixed throughout the brew. In fact I'm quaffing one down right now.

Ahhhhhhh....mothers milk that is.

Regards

Jim R.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Lt. Smash:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Boo Radley:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Los:

"Or those wierd northerners and their "pop"..."

Get your story straight, it ain't "pop" it's "soder"

Los.

Bah! Shows what you know. The dreaded Right Coasters call it soda. We cornfed, apple-cheeked hillbillies call it pop. </font>

For a North American reference, most people in Ontario call "soft drinks" pop. For a while, before the Coca-Cola and Pepsico giants shouldered them out of the way into the hinterlands of rural Ontario, we had a self-bottling generic soft drink company called "The Pop Shoppe". I've heard calling "soft drinks" pop, soda or coke varies as you go east-west and north-south in North America.

Other Canadianisms include calling sofas "chesterfields", pronouncing the letter "Z" as "zed" (the most correct way, IMHO), calling a woolen pullover cap a "toque" (pronounced toook) and Labatt 50 a "drinkable beer".

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

Does the heat and humidity act like some kind of mental Kryptonite?

You better believe it does, sonny! It takes a REAL MAN to keep his thoughts straight in that climate. Heck, the real reason incest is so prevalent isn't because Southerners are all pervs, it's because they get confused on the way to the bedroom and lose their way.

Michael

Originally posted by Kozure:

...pronouncing the letter "Z" as "zed" (the most correct way, IMHO)...

Why? You don't pronounce "A" as "Aed", or "B" as "Bed", or "C" as "Ced", or...you can see where I'm going with this by now, can't you? I mean, honestly...

That particular pronounciation started with the Brits, more than likely and is probably also due to that whole "empire" thing.

Sad, really.

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kozure:

...pronouncing the letter "Z" as "zed" (the most correct way, IMHO)...

Why? You don't pronounce "A" as "Aed", or "B" as "Bed", or "C" as "Ced", or...you can see where I'm going with this by now, can't you? I mean, honestly...

That particular pronounciation started with the Brits, more than likely and is probably also due to that whole "empire" thing.

Sad, really. </font>

Originally posted by Kozure:

Saying "zee..." just trails off.

Not at all. It's quick, elegant, and smooth. Perfectly adapted to the more mobile modern life style. Retaining that extra consonant on the end is merely extra baggage.

All in good fun by the way... regional pronounciations of words and letters make the world a wonderful place. If all English speakers sounded the same, we'd miss lilting Irish, burring Scots, racous north Australian, drawling Southern American, flat Midwestern, rapid-fire East Coast Canadian, JFK-esque Bostonian and all the other wild and wooly accents in between.
Agreed.

:D

Michael

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kitty:

A real Aussie wouldn't be caught dead drinking Foster's. Victoria Bitter is the drink of all top Aussies.

Oi,

Kitty

I beg to differ. Coopers Pale Ale is the only beer worth its salt, just be sure to turn the stubbie upside down first before opening it to get all the greeblie bits properly mixed throughout the brew. In fact I'm quaffing one down right now.

Ahhhhhhh....mothers milk that is.

Regards

Jim R. </font>

Originally posted by Lawngnome:

Regardless of my nation's ignorance, and forgetting all of the horrible movies (Saving Private Ryan was the ultimate redeemer, though), we are the center of the world.

No, that would be Band of Brothers

smile.gif

Way better than SPR.

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Firefly:

Bah! I look much better in a blonde wig and dress than he does.

You Brits really flipped when you lost your empire, didn't you?

;)

Michael </font>

Alabama truly sucks, it's the anus of the USA.

If you look on a road map they don't even have a measure of distance between 2 points..no one wanted to drive & measure. It has the distinction of being the only state that voted to impoverish itself, up here in NYC we call them 'crackers'. They've always hated us, we recipricate.

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mofromoz:

Yes, Coopers Pale Ale and Redback are great.

Jimmy Boags and Cascade are also favourites, Tassie gets my vote for best beer state smile.gif

No disagreement from me there either. Both Boags and Cascade Premium are top notch with Crown Lager (despite not being Tasmanian) close behind.

Regards

Jim R. </font>

Originally posted by Mannheim Tanker:

Bah! Shows what you know. The dreaded Right Coasters call it soda. We cornfed, apple-cheeked hillbillies call it pop. Pop, I tell you. This coming from a former Yooper, and you can't get much more 'north' than that!

Mannheim Tankboy is a known reject even in Michigan, which tells you a lot since Michigan is totally populated by rejects. Actually, any TRUE Southern Person knows that all cola soft drinks are called "Coke" even if you like Pepsi better, which I do. Grape and orange drinks used to be NeHi before it was crushed (get it?). And 7-Up still rules for Southern connaisseurs.

But then y'all knew that...

[ December 11, 2003, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Lawyer ]

ew... a southerner... Poke it with a stick and see if it moves.

Michigan is the home of rejects though, which is why I had to get the hell out of there. Of course, my current location doesn't make me feel much better... don't laugh... but... currently I'm stationed in central Missouri... ugh... never seen so many 70's ford pickups driven by scrawny old men in overalls picking their rotting teeth with a dirt-coated finger before in my life...

:(:(:(:(

-Palko