Peng Challenge Thread III- Revenge of the Nerds

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Dear God...

Now I imagine I'll have to apologize to Joe, and even Dalem, because this is, without a doubt, the WORST FECKING THREAD TITLE EVER.

Does it hurt you Olde Man? Does it make you cringe and break out in a cold sweat? Do your hands shake as with palsy and your scabby little knees turn to jelly (Mint, not Grape)?

If so, good.

It's having the desired effect.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you all were wondering where I was, and how you would continue your drab, unpleasant lives without the little bits of sunshine I add to them. I was on vacation with my lovely wife, walking in the green grass and sunshine (at Antietam battlefield, among other places). That's over now, so once again I must be subjected to the drivel that passes for witty discourse on this thread.

I am still waiting (like so very many people) for a setup from Dalem.

Seanachai, now that I've paid my debt, I call you out! I throw down the gauntlet of challenge which you, in your constant state of inebriation, will probably be too unbalanced to pick up without falling over. Nevertheless, name the setting and I will do my best to demonstrate why gnomes shouldn't try to command.

That being said, would anyone else find an American Civil War game based on an engine similar to CM interesting?

Originally posted by Marstov:

I know you all were wondering where I was, and how you would continue your drab, unpleasant lives without the little bits of sunshine I add to them. I was on vacation with my lovely wife, walking in the green grass and sunshine (at Antietam battlefield, among other places). That's over now, so once again I must be subjected to the drivel that passes for witty discourse on this thread. ...

room%20of%20those%20who%20care.jpg

I know you all were wondering where I was, and how you would continue your drab, unpleasant lives without the little bits of sunshine I add to them. I was on vacation with my lovely wife, walking in the green grass and sunshine (at Antietam battlefield, among other places). That's over now, so once again I must be subjected to the drivel that passes for witty discourse on this thread.

I am still waiting (like so very many people) for a setup from Dalem.

Seanachai, now that I've paid my debt, I call you out! I throw down the gauntlet of challenge which you, in your constant state of inebriation, will probably be too unbalanced to pick up without falling over. Nevertheless, name the setting and I will do my best to demonstrate why gnomes shouldn't try to command.

That being said, would anyone else find an American Civil War game based on an engine similar to CM interesting?

Are you daft man? All RIGHT THINKING Cesspudlians, indeed all of Wargaming, would weep of joy at the very sight of the cover art.

Mind you it would have to be WEGO and tactical damnit. Units down to company size would be perfect with a command system that allowed you to command any level from company to Brigade (I don't much care for games larger than that).

IS THAT ASKING TOO MUCH!

Idiot!

Joe

Seanachai, now that I've paid my debt, I call you out! I throw down the gauntlet of challenge which you, in your constant state of inebriation, will probably be too unbalanced to pick up without falling over.

This is not an issue, because I never bother to get up anymore. I just stay down there. Many jokes have been made about my height, but the truth of the matter is I just don't bother to stand upright anymore.

Nevertheless, name the setting and I will do my best to demonstrate why gnomes shouldn't try to command.

I will send you a setup when I return. Tomorrow morning, I am leaving Minneapolis for the Northern Wilds. My family is going up to our lake cabin to scatter my sister's ashes.

When I return, I will explain to all of you again why it is that I am your Master, and you are a pack of groveling hounds.

Having fixed my email issues, I made a super-Gnomish effort this evening, and got all turns out. Look for them in your email box.

Originally posted by Nidan1:

Mothers can never be trusted as character witnesses for their children, sons especially.

Majorie Dahlmer insisted that her son, Jeffrey, was a wonderful, sweet, kind and loving person.

And a hell of a Sushi chef...

Originally posted by Nidan1:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Yeknodathon:

I just wanted to mention the St Lawrence Seaway and how insignificant it is compared to me internal plumbing.

Now here we go....why have we waited so long to discuss this topic ??? </font>

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

Does it hurt you Olde Man? Does it make you cringe and break out in a cold sweat? Do your hands shake as with palsy and your scabby little knees turn to jelly (Mint, not Grape)?

If so, good.

It's having the desired effect.

Bah! Are we being treated to another episode of 'Boo, the Inadvertent Torturer'? Like you ever plan anything more complex than a bowel movement.

But I like the concept of 'Boo, the Inadvertent Torturer'. Sounds like a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta as done by Terry Giliam. I think I'll work on the libretto...

Hope you're planning on playing CM until you are very, very old... Seanachai's turn sending is... legendary. Just look at Joe... twas a young man when he started a game with Seanachai

Ok, I'll bite. Sure

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Nidan1:

...I wasn't aware that you were a Griffith Grog as well.

I am the God Emperor of the Known and Unknown Universe. Don't mess with me. I've got your number and it ain't 42.

BTW, my all-time favorite Griffith movie is one where he doesn't have a comic role, but for a change plays a cold-blooded killer. Talk about acting against type! It was chilling and I thought he pulled it off really well.

Michael </font>

Originally posted by Moraine Sedai:

It was Gramps.

Nope.

"Gramps

1995 - USA

Couldn't have been, since I saw it in the early '80s and I was using a tv set and not a crystal ball.

Besides, that doesn't sound like the plot at all. The one I saw had him hunting some young guy in the desert using a rifle. And IIRC, he had a limp.

Michael

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Seanachai:

Having fixed my email issues, I made a super-Gnomish effort this evening, and got all turns out. Look for them in your email box.

Nope. No turn over here, Boss. </font>

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Moraine Sedai:

It was Gramps.

Nope.

"Gramps

1995 - USA

Couldn't have been, since I saw it in the early '80s and I was using a tv set and not a crystal ball.

Besides, that doesn't sound like the plot at all. The one I saw had him hunting some young guy in the desert using a rifle. And IIRC, he had a limp.

Michael </font>

*boop* *whhirrrrrr* *bing!*

How about Savages?

"Savages (1974) (TV)

Genre: Thriller

Plot Summary: Ben Campbell, a 22 year old gas station attendant in a small desert town, is looking to make some extra money. He is surprised when Madec, a wealthy lawyer, asks him to be his guide in a hunting trip in the desert. When Madec accidentally shoots a prospector, he is fearful of what it will do his reputation, and decides to eliminate the only witness, Ben, who is forced to go on the run. In addition to being hunted by Madec, Ben must also contend with the harsh desert elements. But if he does make it back to town alive, will anyone believe his story?

User Comments: This atypical and highly suspenseful battle of wits in the high desert features Andy Griffith cleverly cast against type as a menacing and creepy villain who keeps you (and the protagonist) guessing to the end. Essentially one extended chase / battle between two people, SAVAGES eschews intervention from the outside world until late, which keeps the story simple and focused on the two's mortal (and mental) combat. Several cat and mouse exchanges are intriguing but the piece is most compelling because of its unusually personal narrative. Similar in theme to HELL IN THE PACIFIC, Spielberg's DUEL and THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME, SAVAGES is still its own movie and is difficult to turn away from once you start watching, though it isn't always pleasant.

Better than many features and way above average for television, SAVAGES is an excellent neglected thriller with many surprises and a literate, well-reasoned script. Based on the dynamite novel DEATH WATCH by longtime William Castle horror scribe Robb White (possibly his best work.)"

How about Savages?

I don't know, this lot seems to be uncivilized enough. Do we really need to resort to honest to god savages?

I actually saw that movie when it was first broadcast. As a son of a hunting family, I remember being particularly disgusted that Andy Griffith couldn't tell the difference between a big horn sheep and a guy in dusty clothing.

Mind you, if he'd shot Papa Khan, we could forgive him...not so much because PK looks like a big horn sheep, but just because shooting Papa Khan is almost always the right thing to do.

... As a son of a hunting family...

I'd always suspected you were raised by a family of three-toed sloths. Or perhaps a pack of hyenas.

During those rare times when your medication has been at full effect and you've stopped bouncing about like a baboon on steriods, I've even found myself wondering if perhaps you weren't raised at all. Maybe you were the product of some bizarre experiment involving cheese curds and yogurt cultures.

Now we find out you were raised by nothing more exotic than hunters... Again, you disappoint me.

I suppose they're not only hunters, but conservative right-wing gun nuts in the extreme? (No wait that's dalem... were you by any chance raised by dalem?)

Papa

Originally posted by Papa Khann:

(No wait that's dalem... were you by any chance raised by dalem?)

Papa

My only children were torn from me at their birth by insurgent scum and hidden on faraway planets while I was away saving democracy and ending the war.

Originally posted by dalem:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Papa Khann:

(No wait that's dalem... were you by any chance raised by dalem?)

Papa

My only children were torn from me at their birth by insurgent scum and hidden on faraway planets while I was away saving democracy and ending the war. </font>

*boop* *whhirrrrrr* *bing!*

How about Savages?

"Savages (1974) (TV)

Genre: Thriller

Plot Summary: Ben Campbell, a 22 year old gas station attendant in a small desert town, is looking to make some extra money. He is surprised when Madec, a wealthy lawyer, asks him to be his guide in a hunting trip in the desert. When Madec accidentally shoots a prospector, he is fearful of what it will do his reputation, and decides to eliminate the only witness, Ben, who is forced to go on the run. In addition to being hunted by Madec, Ben must also contend with the harsh desert elements. But if he does make it back to town alive, will anyone believe his story?

User Comments: This atypical and highly suspenseful battle of wits in the high desert features Andy Griffith cleverly cast against type as a menacing and creepy villain who keeps you (and the protagonist) guessing to the end. Essentially one extended chase / battle between two people, SAVAGES eschews intervention from the outside world until late, which keeps the story simple and focused on the two's mortal (and mental) combat. Several cat and mouse exchanges are intriguing but the piece is most compelling because of its unusually personal narrative. Similar in theme to HELL IN THE PACIFIC, Spielberg's DUEL and THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME, SAVAGES is still its own movie and is difficult to turn away from once you start watching, though it isn't always pleasant.

Better than many features and way above average for television, SAVAGES is an excellent neglected thriller with many surprises and a literate, well-reasoned script. Based on the dynamite novel DEATH WATCH by longtime William Castle horror scribe Robb White (possibly his best work.)"

Yeahhhhhhh! That for sure sounds like it. I think I even recognize the character's names now. I wouldn't mind seeing that again and from the beginning this time.

smile.gif

Michael