Peiper's Bridge, the battle for Cheneux

Hi guys,

You can find my Op, Peiper's Bridge out now at The Scenario Depot.

3 battles, 15+ turns a piece, fought over the muddy fields of Belgium.

On the 19th December 1944, U.S. Paras of the 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division assaulted toward Boutet's farm east of Chenuex. The result was carnage. The German defenders from Kampfgruppe Peiper had heavily fortified themselves in the buildings in and around the village. Peiper's troops were determined to maintain their bridgehead over the Ambleve at Cheneux. Come nightfall, with fresh troops and the promise of artillery support Colonel Reuben Tucker ordered a new assault!

Good luck at the front!

Richie

Richie, hi,

I will look forward to giving it a go.

First I intend to dig up and install all available North West Europe/Ardennes type winter mods for CMAK. It would be a shame to play such a game with everything looking like Tuscany ;)

Thanks,

All the best,

Kip.

PS, I was there, for real, three weeks ago for the 60th. The weather was the same as December 44 too. In CM terms, light snow and between +2C and -2C. Sherman tanks rolling down Bastogne High Street do look very good!

I'm in the middle of playing this one with Richie, and it's been both a lot of fun and a serious challenge.

You are going to love the incredibly detailed, possibly obsessive map.

Also, the sheer size of the map forces you to think in terms of large-scale terrain-based strategies - something that you seldom get to do in CM.

Git it while the gittin's good!

Love to but it doesn’t seem to be a “Mac Friendly” site.

Can’t download it using either Internet Explorer or Safari (clicking on the link only results in a page of code). I’ve also tried right clicking but to no effect.

I suspect its because the “download” button isn’t a direct link to the file but to an intermediate location.

Any chance you could email it to me?

[ January 09, 2005, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

Option click shoud download a file called 'click.php' or sumfink just rename it to Peiperwhatever.cmh and put in your scenario folder

Originally posted by gibsonm:

Can’t download it using either Internet Explorer or Safari (clicking on the link only results in a page of code). I’ve also tried right clicking but to no effect.

I suspect its because the “download” button isn’t a direct link to the file but to an intermediate location.

Any chance you could email it to me?

He Richie,

sounds nice iam going to play that one to

but still busy with the other op from peiper

called the pied peiper and now you must advance instead of defense.

Its much bigger but also a lot of fun.

My question is this one after his advance towards

cheneux.

And IRL did they win or did they lose the defend of the town????

maus

Originally posted by gibsonm:

I have the same problem ( Mac ) with Explorer and Netscape for majoriti of scenarios.I' send e-mail to Admiral Keith but there was no response. :(

Originally posted by MAUS_TD:

He Richie,

sounds nice iam going to play that one to

but still busy with the other op from peiper

called the pied peiper and now you must advance instead of defense.

Its much bigger but also a lot of fun.

My question is this one after his advance towards

cheneux.

And IRL did they win or did they lose the defend of the town????

maus

Hi MAUS_TD,

The SS and the troops of the 84th Luftwaffe defended the town till it was evident the fall would occur despite their best efforts, with the loss of most of their heavy equipment, over the following days.

They abandoned the town and the bridge as their losses became extreme and reduced their cordon to La Gleize, but not before exacting a very heavy toll on the Para's of the 82nd Airborne, who made repeated but unsuccessful attempts to take the bridge up until that point.

The ferocity of their assaults is a determining factor on the severe casualties sustained by the Germans, and part of the reason the Bridge at Cheneux was abandoned.

Richie

[ January 12, 2005, 05:34 AM: Message edited by: Richie ]