CMX2 - Please Landing Craft

war2004

I'm hoping CM's testing of 'Dangerous Waters' will give them sufficient water experience to attempt AI-operated warships. LCTs, LSTs, Vietnam-style riverine patrol craft, Navy Seal-type 'Zodiac' rubber boats, maybe even amphibious armor! It would be required equipment for properly done Pacific war/Vietnam war titles.

The big stuff like cruisers and battleships might be out of the scope of a CM-type game, though they could be included as off-map artillery.

Originally posted by securityguard:

cant you just use the boats? theyre abstract enough to simulate landing craft

Well, no. The boats currently present in CM are fine for moving troops over water when the enemy isn't looking, but if you attempt to do a beachhead assault in the view of the enemy you'll have a slaughter. The assault boats are pitifully slow, unarmed and unarmored. Basicaly like a truck only like 20 times slower and they can't transport anything bigger than a mortar. I like the idea of having more sophisticated boats in CMx2. I think it would be cool if there were PT boats, amphibious armor, motor boats and big landing craft capable of moving platoons of soldiers and tanks (yay vehicles transporting vehicles!). My 2 cents

Originally posted by MikeyD:

The big stuff like cruisers and battleships might be out of the scope of a CM-type game, though they could be included as off-map artillery.

I can already imagine the detailed armor hit caption : " front 16in gun turret penetration, 15 casualites"! l tongue.gif l

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by pcpilot:

If assualt boats can be modeled, so can larger boats I would think. LCVP's for a platoon of troops and LCM's for vehicles. Amphib assualts are way to big a part of military ops to be so blatantly ignored as in CM.

How would the 1:1 representation work with regards to the crew of the LCTs?

Let's see - opposed amphib ops in NW Europe;

D-Day June 6 1944

Rhine Crossing - oh, wait, was that one really opposed?

Operations against Scheldt Fortress South/Breskens Pocket - oh wait, no landing craft, just LVTs and Terrapins...

Landings on Walcheren Island - were they opposed?

Hmm, 4 days out of 11 months.

You're right! We must immediately rally around the "LCT" flag. I say we form a consumer boycott until BF.C bows to our demands.

Unfortunately, as Steve pointed out, a small minority of the CM players post here.

We will need to get the word out some other way.

Break into squads.

war2004, you can cover the newsgroups

I'll handle the major newspapers

junk2drive, talk to some major interweb sites

Sequioa - talk radio.

yacinator - you've got the History Channel, buddy.

Meet back here Saturday at noon and we'll have a debrief.

Originally posted by junk2drive:

"Break into squads."

I'm sick of the split squads threads.

I'm sick of the whole CMx2 thing.

I'm not playing lobsters and crabs.

I'm not buying a new computer.

I am playing SPMBT. Nostalgic.

Kiss me you insensitive boobie!

I'm with you. Hey, maybe someone can hack into Microprose's M-1 Tank Platoon and rewrite it so we can play TCP/IP? THAT would be awesome. And not M-1 Tank Platoon 2, no, baby, I mean the vector graphiced original.

Linko - if it works

spacer.gif