CM:E(arly)W(ar) for $25 and CM:BO(update) for $15?

Guest BigAlMoho

Guest BigAlMoho

Hello,

The subject says it all... This would make the set complete... I know I would be happy to buy these while waiting for CM2...

I am trying to avoid buying new hardware for 2-3 years and I know I am going to want a way better machine for CM2, so how about completing this system before we move on?

Thank you and Merry Christmas,

Al

[ December 25, 2003, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: BigAlMoho ]

Hey BigAlMoho..happy Christmas to you smile.gif

BFC has stated that all resources (bar maybe putting out a patch ) are now focused on the CMX2 game engine. it is highly unlikey that BFC will develope any more game titles using the CM I game engine. The amount of time and resources are just not there within BFC business plan.

It has taken well over a year to bring CMAK to the market place and i dare say BFC are just not prepared to invest any more time on a CM 1 game engine powered title covering either the early war or revisiting CMBO.

Best bet is to just enjoy the current games..save your money towards that dream system..and look forward to the future to what ever surprises BFC bring to us smile.gif

best regards

Måkjager

Guest BigAlMoho
Originally posted by Måkjager:

Hey BigAlMoho..happy Christmas to you smile.gif

BFC has stated that all resources (bar maybe putting out a patch ) are now focused on the CMX2 game engine. it is highly unlikey that BFC will develope any more game titles using the CM I game engine. The amount of time and resources are just not there within BFC business plan.

It has taken well over a year to bring CMAK to the market place and i dare say BFC are just not prepared to invest any more time on a CM 1 game engine powered title covering either the early war or revisiting CMBO.

Best bet is to just enjoy the current games..save your money towards that dream system..and look forward to the future to what ever surprises BFC bring to us smile.gif

best regards

Måkjager

Understood... Just thinking out load... So, how do feel personally?

Thanks,

Al

I think it's a nice idea. In my ideal world, I'd have wanted a patch which included a few missing terrain graphics and the missing armoured vehicles and infantry units (such as the Puma, Pershing, King Tiger, Flammpanzer III and the Volksgrenadiere and Volkssturm) to allow me to complete all of my CM:BO scenarios. I'm well aware that the extra terrain tiles that I want won't appear because they would alter all the game's existing scenarios. Same for 'extra' units.

That said, CM:AK is great. However, I expect to see patches replacing some of the unit graphics in CM:AK because at the moment I don't see it as a finished product - there are too many shared unit graphics.

I mean, give us the models and we'll mod them. Just give us the models, please. We have at least 2 (more likely 3) years before the 'new game' comes out so at least give us the whole shebang to keep us going!

Anyone from the CC community knows its up to them to get anything new from that engine. They couldnt get the source code, now they are playing with CCclone engine, open source.

If BFC doesnt have the time to do any new stuff with CM, they could give all but the game engine to one of the modders/testers that helped with cmak. Then the cm community could work together to make free mods.

15k members in this forum would probably buy add-ons or mod packs at $10-20

While it would be nice in a ideal world to have access to "Early War" and upgraded CMBO game's it is sadly a fact that BFC for very good business reasons view any further investment using the CM 1 game engine an investment not worth making.

The "Early War Year's" would no doubt be no small project..covering the forces of the UK , France , Poland , Holland , Belgium , Denmark , Norway , Russia and Germany. This would i am afraid require a very very large investment of BFCs limited time and resources. Researching the forces for these countries , making 3D models , making textures , coding the forces , testing , bug hunting , recoding , retesting etc is just too much to ask of BFC at this time .....especially in the light of their stated intentions.

Like it or not CM I is DEAD( i apologise for the shout..its not meant in a "In yer face" way..just that its a fact and nothing we can do will persaude BFC to change their position ).

BFC are listening to us..the customers. They want to give us guys & gals THE BEST games...and they really do believe that the best way to do that is to burn their bridge and totally focus on the next CMX2 game engine. We have been promised a much more detailed game engine..with built in redundancies that allow BFC to turn around Game Projects much quicker.

I for one am willing to forgo any more CM 1 games if it means i can get my hands on a much better game engine that much quicker.

As for the community getting involved in actually making "CM-Blitzkreig East & West " or even CMBO-Upgraded it is unlikely that BFC would release the code to allow us to tinker.

The making of 3d models for the series using the CMI engine is according to Dan and Steve a bit of a "bear with a sore head" in regards to making and importing 3d models and textures.. I have in the past been fortunate to be able to work ( making textures ) with these 2 lads during CMBB beta and i can tell you that it is no simple thing for a model to be made with that engine.Once the model is made a texture then has to be generated and tested within the game..any mismapping of textures then have to be fixed ..and tested once again.

Nope...... i do think BFC is doing the correct thing for their company in focusing on the future.They will be better placed to serve us...their customers thesooner that the new engine is developed.

Regards

Makjager

[ December 27, 2003, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Måkjager ]

i'll bet you guys that are screaming for an early war expansion would be the first to bitch about the delay for the next engine, if bfc were to actually grant your request. as for me, i still have a bazillion scenarios in cmbb and cmak to play before worrying about early war stuff. having said that, i wouldn't mind if the first game with the new engine included the blitzkrieg years. that would especially be fun if an operational level was put in so you could actually do some blitzkrieging...

Originally posted by Måkjager:

While it would be nice in a ideal world to have access to "Early War" and upgraded CMBO game's it is sadly a fact...

Everything he says is so...so logical, so clear.

Makes you want to give him a smack, doesn't it?

I'm sorry to miss the Early War because I think it would play out in very interesting ways, but the fact that CMBB and CMAK covers some of the early war equipment and such goes a long way towards easing the loss.

I look forward eagerly to the New Engine.

Or at least I would if I could focus further into the future than next week. But I bet two years or so from now I'm really, really excited!

Originally posted by Seanachai:

(snip)I look forward eagerly to the New Engine.

Or at least I would if I could focus further into the future than next week. But I bet two years or so from now I'm really, really excited!

You actually think you can focus several days into the future? Sir, in my estimation your focus, as bleary as it is, is somewhere from 500 to 5,000 years in the past! Tell us honestly, aren't you really hoping for Combat Mission:Punic Wars? :D:D:D

This from a post by one of BFCs "Five Horsemen" in the Tips & Tricks forum.

Moon

Administrator

Member # 386

posted December 27, 2003 05:36 AM                         

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Niko - GenSplatton is right, we're focussing entirely on the new engine (besides patching CMAK where needed of course), and therefore an Early War version with the existing engine has been ruled out. But the new engine will make it easier for us to, among other things, visit new theaters and time periods than we could cover with the old engine, so let's wait and see.

Martin

So lads..enjoy CMBO/CMBB and CMAK for now ..... and save all your pennies and cents for the future smile.gif

Regards

Måkjager

Originally posted by junk2drive:

Anyone from the CC community knows its up to them to get anything new from that engine. They couldnt get the source code, now they are playing with CCclone engine, open source.

If BFC doesnt have the time to do any new stuff with CM, they could give all but the game engine to one of the modders/testers that helped with cmak. Then the cm community could work together to make free mods.

15k members in this forum would probably buy add-ons or mod packs at $10-20

That won't work. It is my understanding that the flexibility problems with the current engine are a result of having everything including 3D models, unit/weapon databases and OOBs compiled right into the core engine.

To give us the flexibility load models e.g. via XML would require work that triggered the engine switch in first place.

Guest BigAlMoho
Originally posted by zukkov:

i'll bet you guys that are screaming for an early war expansion would be the first to bitch about the delay for the next engine, if bfc were to actually grant your request.

First of all, who the hell is screaming?

Next, if I was going to be upset about the delay, then I would be upset about the time invested in CMAK... (and I am NOT)

and last, this game has completely eclipsed any other game I know and is very satisfying just as it is...

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Actually, I think he is secretly hoping for something more on the order of Combat Mission: The Last Ride of Boadicea.

Personally I'm hoping for CM: star wars. It was set a long time ago, ya know... :D

Then again they'd probably have to sit through the Phantom Penance.. er Menace multiple times and I wouldn't wish that on anybody..

Originally posted by OGSF:

Have BFC said what the new CM2 engine will be used for? Hopefully still WWII stuff!

No, it'll cover cutlass and saber fights between Peter Pan, the Lost Boys, and Captain Hook's Pirates.

Bloody Aussie-Scots git...

My personal opinion is that the rewrite will cover everything from early war (possibly even as early as Spanish Civil War), to Korea, with cheap expansion packs aimed at weird fronts/regions to take account of the local conditions and unit mix.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by OGSF:

Have BFC said what the new CM2 engine will be used for? Hopefully still WWII stuff!

No, it'll cover cutlass and saber fights between Peter Pan, the Lost Boys, and Captain Hook's Pirates.

Bloody Aussie-Scots git...

My personal opinion is that the rewrite will cover everything from early war (possibly even as early as Spanish Civil War), to Korea, with cheap expansion packs aimed at weird fronts/regions to take account of the local conditions and unit mix. </font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

We will then wait patiently for the third engine rewrite...

I hope you are very patient indeed, because I boldly predict that by that point BFC will be thoroughly sick of making tactical wargames. I expect them to snap up the Leisure Suit Larry franchise as well as the Las Vegas Poker series. Pinball Wizard 2 should be in release by about this time. There will be rumors about them picking up The Sims 14: a Visit to the Doctor.

;)

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

We will then wait patiently for the third engine rewrite...

I hope you are very patient indeed, because I boldly predict that by that point BFC will be thoroughly sick of making tactical wargames. I expect them to snap up the Leisure Suit Larry franchise as well as the Las Vegas Poker series. Pinball Wizard 2 should be in release by about this time. There will be rumors about them picking up The Sims 14: a Visit to the Doctor.

;)

Michael </font>