Desert Warfare - Afrika Korps?

Funny you bring that question up, I decided about two days ago to play a desert QB against the Italians in eastern Africa. Got CS tanks that carry 40 smoke shells only, A10 that sports useless but cool looking secondary turrets and mech companies on unicarriers that leaves nifty dust trails on unsusually bumby grounds. I like that !

Then I got back to CMBO's Rhineland pack for a taste of the past and bad, wet weather regalia smile.gif Had to have them three !

Cheers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Panzer76:

Bought it to support BFC really. Dont like the desert, small battles can be ok.

Italy is fine, but feels to confined, which is why I still have CMBB installed, but unistalled CMAK a long time ago.

There are hundreds of scenarios for CMAK that take you back to NW Europe so what are you waiting for?

Good Hunting.

The day I will uninstall any CM is a very remote contingency. I now happily navigate through them in various PBEM with friends who haven't seen the light yet and stick to CMBO. Perhaps they like charging MG nests and *survive* ? :D

And as Panther Commander rightly state, CMAK italian theatre fills the ETO bills quite well. Only wish there was more winter mods for those Bulge scenarios. tongue.gif

Cheers

Note: Pssst ! Namekev! should you read this, I am still waiting for a QB setup !

Ive just bought the Anthology pack for £9.99.

Mainly to play CMBB as Im an eastern front nut.

However Im shocked to hear that CMAK isnt played that much. Though Im not really into the desert myself I did think the game would play better in open spaces. I find the built up scenarios in CMBB to hard to navigate round and keep track of whats going on.

So if hardly anyone fights in the desert what use is CMAK as a product. What mods are out there and how good are they. Are all the vehicles avialable for the NWE mods?

Not to worry Wodin, the QB tool is still there, mods are plentyfull (and gooood smile.gif ) and even though you are not into desert warfare, there are many interesting things to be done with CMAK. You may want to check the CMAK companion to fire up your interest.

Best

[ December 18, 2004, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: Tarkus ]

:D Note the turquoise grin from frost.

Hey Junk, its cool outside and warm inside. The place isn't bad right now. We'll talk about that in february.

As for Wodin, I see what you mean. It sure is a quantum leap from SP, but that can only enhance the experience. When I made the switch (boy, that is a looong time ago) I could not ever get back to that old serie. It was good while it lasted though.

You people boggle my mind. I love North Africa and I love fighting in North Africa scenarios. In fact right now I'm playing Totensonntag in PBEM and having a ball.

My interest in Combat Mission theaters vary with what book I'm reading at the moment. For instance I've recently been reading the CMAK Companion's tales from N. Africa... hence I'm playing through Totensonntag. A few months ago I was reading about Stalingrad and found myself playing CMBB. I love all three games and play them all accordingly.

If I -had- to pick though I would say CMBB is my favorite simply because the Eastern Front's scope seems so... epic.

Definately bought it for the desert battles and thats basically all its used for. No skulking in the woods, hiding behind a house, use the pure unaltered terrain, love it smile.gif

During the Reign of the Matilda the game is unfortunately skewed against the Axis. Play a QB against a competent opponent who has Matilda's and you can't win. Due to a number of factors. One, big HE is way undermodelled in its effect against armour. Two, the German tanks are given no chance at all of inflicting damage and behave through the TacAI accordingly. Three, you can't indirect fire on map artillery nor can you dig it in.

But that aside, damm good, love the desert.

I think that North Africa has their own enchantment by itself. The great difference with CMBB is that you can fight all the campaign in the east. Opposite of the west it does not happen thus. It is divided in CMAK and CMBO. I do not have doubts when affirming that CM in their three episodes is best wargame. But I think that one would be due to unify CMAK and CMBO for the West front.

1-"West front":

pre-war:spain 1937

Blitzkrieg on the West:Norway -France

Mediterranean:Greece-Crete-Africa-Sicily

Return Europe:Italy-France

2-"East front":

pre-war:finland 1939

Blitzkrieg on the east:Poland-Yugoslavia

Russia 1941-1945

Note how in the "west-front" there are a lot of scenarios with combined forces: amphibious assault or paratroopers. The similar space of time as CMBB for the military evolution.

[ December 18, 2004, 04:39 AM: Message edited by: Halberdiers ]

Some people say they don't like the desert battles because they are all flat & featureless battlefields but can’t they play QB’s with medium hills, villages, medium tree’s etc?

I agree that Matilda’s & to some extent Valentines are used too much in AK, Crusaders look cool at least just before they explode & burn…

But then 80mm Stugs & Tigers were used too much by German players in BB so its just deserts I say...

Originally posted by sand digger:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 37mm:

Some people say they don't like the desert battles because they are all flat & featureless battlefields but can’t they play QB’s with medium hills, villages, medium tree’s etc?

Yeh but its not 'green', and everything looks foreign tongue.gif </font>

Originally posted by Panther Commander:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panzer76:

Bought it to support BFC really. Dont like the desert, small battles can be ok.

Italy is fine, but feels to confined, which is why I still have CMBB installed, but unistalled CMAK a long time ago.

There are hundreds of scenarios for CMAK that take you back to NW Europe so what are you waiting for?

Good Hunting. </font>

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Someone remarked back when AK was first introduced that the North African war is best appreciated at the operational rather than the tactical level, and it's possible there may be something to that.

There is no fuel shortage to stall your armour any minute during the game. smile.gif

and omissions (where's the LRDG and the SAS?)

In the same place where they placed the Brandenburgers and the Finnish LRRP's ? ;)

You can model these with appropriate force selections but a huge map all infantry LRRP action in CMBB is TEDIOUS. :D

And a LRDG action simulated with infantry on trucks makes for a fast game.

Originally posted by sand digger:

During the Reign of the Matilda the game is unfortunately skewed against the Axis. Play a QB against a competent opponent who has Matilda's and you can't win. Due to a number of factors. One, big HE is way undermodelled in its effect against armour. Two, the German tanks are given no chance at all of inflicting damage and behave through the TacAI accordingly. Three, you can't indirect fire on map artillery nor can you dig it in.

It is interesting how easily (relatively speaking) the 50L60 takes down the Red Army Matildas in CMBB as opposed to the British Matildas in CMAK.

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by sand digger:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 37mm:

Yeh but its not 'green', and everything looks foreign tongue.gif </font>

Offhand, the only major battle I can think of that had a lot of nighttime fighting was 2nd. Alamein. But I guess there might have been plenty of small unit infantry fights when the armies were in close proximity and opposing patrols might have encountered each other. But the only places where those conditions might have applied were at the Tobruk perimeter or at Alamein, that I can think of.

Then there were raids by groups like the SAS. But again, those were small and not likely to directly involve armor. Like I said, when the sun went down, the main units pulled into laager, did maintenence, ate, and caught some sleep. Check Robert Crisp's Brazen Chariots for graphic descriptions of how that worked.

Michael

Originally posted by junk2drive:

I do remember an old Errol Flynn movie where the Brits raided a camp in the dark.

It happened. It just didn't happen a whole lot.

I wonder if the movie you saw was the one that starts out with a raid on Rommel's headquarters? I don't think Flynn was in that one, but it was based on real enough events. There was such a raid, but Rommel had flown off to Germany and wasn't home when the SAS dropped in.

Michael