Wish CMAK looked like this

Well, a little eye-candy is always nice though not necessarily necessary. ;) But we can do something about the looks with mods, can't we?

Apart from that ToW needs at least something going for it. Although I find it fun to play, it still isn't what it could be and still missing a lot of things - which is why I prefer CM...

Originally posted by Clavicula_Nox:

Truthfully, and I'm sure I'm a minority, but the CMx1 graphics are near perfect.

I am with you on that.

While they can look primitive, its a bit like an impressionist painting; not all the elements are rendered in photorealistic detail, but overall they look right.

Compare those movie-set ToW screens to CMAK, CM really looks like the NA desert.

Originally posted by Hoolaman:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Clavicula_Nox:

Truthfully, and I'm sure I'm a minority, but the CMx1 graphics are near perfect.

I am with you on that.

While they can look primitive, its a bit like an impressionist painting; not all the elements are rendered in photorealistic detail, but overall they look right.

Compare those movie-set ToW screens to CMAK, CM really looks like the NA desert. </font>

Seems like a good place to post this. Has some terrific shots of equipment we seldom see pictures of, the Brixia, for example, also, the oh so exciting shieldless Italian ATGs.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6FvU31TAvJs&feature=related

Italian AFVs, including combat footage of the Semovente da 75!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uM1Ax8anYvE&NR=1

Clavicula_Nox,

Fishbowel shaped levels? A) I don't want to know how you know, and B) sig worthy!

Regards,

John Kettler

[ April 22, 2008, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Am with you on MoH Airborne, Clavicula - that game was one of the biggest pieces of crap I ever bought. Had they made some kind of alternative-WW2 SciFi game out of it, it wouldn't have mattered. But they didn't.

Let's hope Battlefront never deviates form their way! ;)

Fishbowel shaped levels? A) I don't want to know how you know, a B) sig worthy!
What I mean is that the levels were extremely small and confined to the size of 2-3 city blocks worth. Eventually, once certain objectives were met, most of the levels expanded a little bit, but at that point it became a corridor game with only 1 path to follow...

The game's historical accuracy left many things to be desired.

First, the troopers jumped directly onto their objective. This means jumping into some random sicilian city. Jumping into some italian archeology digsite. Jumping into a fortified area complete with massive bunkers and fortified trenchworks, and a random Tiger tank that just drove an endless circle around an isolated farmhouse. Jumping into an already destroyed Nijmegan, and instead of crossing the Waal River, the glorious 82nd Airborne jumps into the city, kills another random circle driving tank, and fights across the bridge.

After this, the 82nd moves on to Operation Varsity and another jump against the dreaded Flakturn! Which was some giant phallic concrete construction that was called indestructible, but it was ringed by 6 AA guns and 3 pieces of artillery. Oh yeah, they jumped directly onto that too. The place is also filled with Super Nazis wearing gasmasks and firing MG42's at the hip.

Am with you on MoH Airborne, Clavicula
The thing is, I remember them parading around some 82nd veteran saying the game was great and awesome and perfectly accurate.

Almost immediately I thought: "What a damn tool..." He was sure to wear a hat with jump wings embroidered on the front in every video they showed of him.

Nothing was accurate about the game, from proper PLF procedure, to rank insignia, to the conduct of airborne operations, to the lame and stupid objectives, to the way reinforcements just randomly fall from the sky,to the actual missions themselves. It was just another stupid game bearing the Medal of Honor name.

Originally posted by Clavicula_Nox:

Yeah, to me, there is always something lacking in newer games with flashier graphics. It looks okay, and all..but it seems it's just missing the soul of XCOM, Jagged Alliance, Red Baron 2, and others.

As a paratrooper, and a self-proclaimed Airbornophile, I recently purchased Medal of Honor:Airborne...only to be appalled at one of the nicest piece of **** games I have ever played. The sheer stupidity of that game was on every level, from historical accuracy, to fishbowel shaped levels, to controls, to lazy textures and character models...it was just a ****fest of programming, and visual art. Jeez..and then in the last 2 levels, they have Super Nazis running around firing MG42's at the hip and taking multiple headshots from an STG 44. God..that game is a pile..

It's a crying shame seeing so many games ruined by putting graphics above gameplay. If you're going to do a WW2 game at least do proper research on the chosen period simply out of respect for all those gave their lives on both sides.

While we're on the subject what's the likleyhood of CM ever making an appearance on P3? I'm thinking making it available on PS network and bringing some real depth (gameplay wise) to the console, if it's even possible.

Uhm, turns out it's not a simple as all that. Results seem to vary, judging from Tech. It does seem DX10 cards+Vista is bad news though. If you already have Vista then you might wish to consider a good 7900 card.

But yeah, I can feel for you. My 7300GS will see me through another year, maybe two, but then I have to bite the bullet as well.