Why Battlefront, why?

Hi. I'm a spanish fan gamer of Combat Mission and i would like to know why Battlefront have changed its mind about the distribution of CMAK here in my country.

Martin van Balkon and Battlefront said in a CMAK interview: "CMAK will not be available in stores, you can only buy it online from us for both the PC and Mac platform, and it will be delivered via mail".

Here is the link: CMAK interview

So i ordered CMAK two weeks ago when Battlefront announced it in its web and the CMAK price was charged in my credit card. All looked ok.

But what is my surprise when i see in a couple of "Pc games webs" that Proein (spanish dealer) is announcing that... ¡¡¡CMAK will be available in spanish stores on 22-12-2003!!!! and cheaper than buying CMAK from Battlefront (30 € in Spain). ¡¡¡WHAT THE HELL?!!! :eek:

"It cannot be possible" i thought, but it was true :mad:

A lot of spanish Combat Mission players and me, of course, have the nasty feeling that we're stupids or something similar. What had happened here?. Why Battlefront hasn't said nothing about the spanish dealer?. Why Battlefront have changed its mind?. Why, why? :(

If Battlefront says that CMAK will not be available in stores it's meaning that CMAK WILL NOT BE AVALAIBLE IN STORES. It's clear, isn't it? redface.gif

I don't know, maybe i'm missing something here?.

Please, we need answers :(

[ December 18, 2003, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: Haplo_Patryn ]

I don't know what you're getting wound up over. I payed 34 Euros for the version ordered online from Battlefront, including shipping - amazon.de had it listed at 35, shipping on Dec. 31st. Guess what I ordered.

Oh, and if you already ordered two weeks ago, you should have the game right now ...

apex

Also note that if someone is saying something in a US website that may not reflect on things across the Atlantic. I'm sure Martin (Moon) was talking about not releasing it in the US shops on a US website and failed to be specific. He seems to have forgotten a lot of us Euros visit the US .com sites.

[ December 18, 2003, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Elmar Bijlsma ]

I think the problem is that no one knew that the game was going to be released in Spain. A lot of Spanish players ordered the game from Battlefront, and now we are going to find a copy in a local store BEFORE we receive our copy by mail, at a cheaper prize, and with the manual translated to Spanish (which is very important for some people). That's why we are angry :-/

I wonder when that interview was actually given?

AFAIK CMAK was originally going to be only available direct from BFC, but then at a later stage there was a non-exclusivity deal done with CDV for Europe.

I'm afraid if you rely on only one source for all your info then this is the sort of thing that happens. :(

Come on, calm down. The price difference is like 1500 "pelas". The dollar is cheap right now so it might even be lower than that. Besides, buying from Battlefront sends the money where it should go, to the creators of this beautiful game.

Just skip a few kalimotxos next weekend and your balance sheet will be ok again!! ;)

I didn't rely on one source only, Ant. Here is what the FAQ of CMAK in Battlefront says:

Will European players be able to purchase CMAK directly from Battlefront.com?

YES, they will be able to purchase the game in English, French and German directly version from us, online without restriction, regardless of where you live.

The game ships in a new multi-language format allowing you to choose to install and play the game in English, French or German.

Localized versions in German and French will be also be available in European retail stores through a distribution partner.

So, where is Spain here?. If i understand correctly what this FAQ says, there is no localized version in Spain.

The problem is not the money, the problem is that Battlefront has forgotten us, the spaniards :(

[ December 18, 2003, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Haplo_Patryn ]

Originally posted by Haplo_Patryn:

The problem is not the money, the problem is that Battlefront has forgotten us, the spaniards :(

Da la casualidad de que yo soy español y miembro de BFC.

La cuestion no es que se haya olvidado sino si el mercado español es lo suficientemente amplio para sacar una versión localizada en español.

Normalmente las copias de CMBO y CMBB que se han ofrecido en España han sido realmente pocas y difíciles de encontrar (creo que actualmente CMBB está agotado y es muy difícil de encontrar). Yo mismo, que vivo en Barcelona, sólo he llegado a ver copias de CMBO de las que se publican a precio reducido y de eso no hace mucho. De CMBB y la versión original de CMBO sólo vui esta última una vez y se agotó en un santiamén. Cada vez que voy a mirar si hay copias en un sitio, normalmente porque mi hermano me ha avisado de que ha visto algunas, no queda nunca ninguna.

Me da la impresión de que el problema es que CM es un tipo de juego de los que no convencen a las casas españolas que los han de distribuir aquí en España. Como no se trata de un mata-mata para descerebrados sino de un wargame para pensar y sin graficos infartantes, se creen que el público, que por lo visto piensan que está compuesto en un 95% por subnormales, no le gusta usar el cerebro y que ese tipo de juegos está condenado al fracaso y por eso no sacan demasiadas copias.

Si realmente hubiera un mercado en español de cierta envergadura, y hay que recordar que de momento en su inmensa mayoría es peninsular ya que el estado económico de la America hispana no es muy boyante que digamos, se sacaría una versión en español. Yo estoy dentro de la compañía así que un cierto control de calidad estaría asegurado. De todas maneras la realización de versiones localizadas (de CMAK sólo hay en inglés francés y alemán si no recuerdo mal) depende de que la casa asociada a BFC (CDV actualmente) lo solicite y por desgracia hasta ahora, que yo sepa, no se ha solicitado versión en español del juego.

La versión de Proein será la de CDV tal cual y en cuanto a lo del manual en español, lo dudo mucho aunque bien pudiera ser. Tened en cuenta que CMAK viene con una guía o manual reducido que estoy seguro que si será traducido pero que el manual de verdad, con todos los detalles, viene en un archivo PDF y ése si que dudo mucho que lo traduzca Proein.

Finalmente que teniendo en cuenta la paridad euro-dólar actual, la diferencia de precio es de poco más de 3 euros entre pedirlo a BFC o esperar a que Proein lo saque en España (supongo que ha cuentagotas y que se agotará pronto). Lo que te ahorras en un par de cafés y unas magdalenas :rolleyes:

[ December 18, 2003, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Fernando ]

Originally posted by Haplo_Patryn:

Localized versions in German and French will be also be available in European retail stores through a distribution partner.

So, where is Spain here?. If i understand correctly what this FAQ says, there is no localized version in Spain.

I think you might be misunderstanding the term "localized version." In softwarese, this means a version that has been adapted to fit in with the area where it's being sold. In this case, the German and French versions are localized versions because they have been translated into German and French. It doesn't really have anything to do with where they are being sold: a German-language CM sold in a German retail store is localized; the US version sold in a German retail store is not localized.

So when BFC writes that "localized versions in German and French will be available in European retail stores," this means that the German or French version of CMAK may be available at retail stores in Spain, as Spain is European. If the FAQ meant to suggest that these versions would only be available in Germany and France, it would have said something like: "Localized versions - in German and French - will be available at retail stores in France and Germany." And not in "European retail stores."

I don't know what else BFC may have said about retail availabilty in Spain, but the FAQ doesn't exclude Spain.

Fernando, el problema no es si sale o no sale una versión localizada en España, el problema es que muchos pensábamos que esa versión localizada no iba a salir. Mis fuentes (puede que erróneas, puede que mal interpretadas) fueron la entrevista que nombra Haplo, la FAQ de CMAK y el hecho de no encontrar la más mínima evidencia en sentido contrario. Ah, y el banner del foro de CMAK smile.gif

Por tanto, dado que pensaba que no iba a salir en España lo pedí en Battlefront. ¿Y ahora qué?

1) Que pago 3 euros más (café y madalenas) más unos 6 euros de gastos de envío (un cine y una de palomitas pequeña).

2) Que espero una o dos semanas a que me llegue. Sé que en el caso de otros jugadores es más, ya que todos sabemos cómo se pone Correos en estas fechas.

3) Que no huelo el manual traducido (en el caso de que lo haya) Para mí no es el acabóse, pero para otros jugadores sí es una diferencia importante.

No digo que sea el fin del mundo, pero es que me molesta porque todo esto se nos podía haber evitado añadiendo una simple línea en la FAQ:

"En algunos paises de Europa Occidental (como España, ...) estará disponible en las tiendas una edición en inglés con el manual traducido."

Tan sencillo como eso. Y si todo el problema es que ha habido un error de comunicación entre empresa y jugadores, me gustaría saber si ese error va a subsanarse, y si la próxima vez vamos a tener una información más clara sobre dónde, cuándo y cómo vamos a poder comprar el juego.

Venga, saludos.

Haplo_Patryn, I'm sorry about the confusion apparently caused by this interview. It was certainly not my intention to mislead anyone. And Spain, believe me, has not been forgotten. Fernando would never allow that smile.gif

We have mentioned in every press release and announcement I can think of that CDV would be releasing a retail version in Western Europe, but it's simply impractical to keep listing all the territories and exceptions in each and every statement - especially those targetted at a mainly North American audience - , as they include not only Spain, but for example Japan, Finland, Australia, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Russia, New Zealand, Korea and so on - all of which have some sort of special arrangement. We have to rely on our local distribution partner to make the needed announcements on time.

Luckily, the price difference is minimal, as €30 is about $37 currently. By the way, if you still don't have your game after two weeks, then something is broken. We ship from Ireland, and it should definitely not take 2 weeks to Spain. Please contact sales@battlefront.com about your order.

Also, I'll ask Matt to edit our FAQ to reflect more clearly that customers in Western Europe might find the game on retail shelves. You're the first one who apparently has missed the news, and we'll try to make sure that you're the last one.

Martin

Well, thank you very much for your answers, specially Moon and Fernando (alias Fernado Carrera? :rolleyes: ).

As i said before, the money is not the problem. The problem is that the information in CMAK FAQ is far to be detailed. A little more detailed information would have been fine, as Moon have remarked too.

Clearly i have misunderstood the meaning of the FAQ but if you know how many spaniards have bought the game from Battlefront you wouldn't believe, and they thought as me that the game wasn't going to be sold in my country by a national dealer.

Well, thanks again and i beg your pardon if my words sounded a little harsh. I was confused ;)

Ah, one more thing....Keep up the good work!. We are expecting with delight the future CMX2 :D

Originally posted by Caid:

Fernando, el problema no es si sale o no sale una versión localizada en España, el problema es que muchos pensábamos que esa versión localizada no iba a salir. Mis fuentes (puede que erróneas, puede que mal interpretadas) fueron la entrevista que nombra Haplo, la FAQ de CMAK y el hecho de no encontrar la más mínima evidencia en sentido contrario. Ah, y el banner del foro de CMAK smile.gif

Ya te ha contestado Moon en parte pero aquí va alguna precisión más.

Yo mismo no sabía que iba a salir y de todas maneras no es una versión localizada. Una versión locaslizada significa que se traduce todo el juego y eso no pasará con la versión de Proein. O mucho me equivoco, y no lo creo, o será la versión inglesa de CMAK para CDV con un manual introductorio de pocas páginas en español.

Por tanto, dado que pensaba que no iba a salir en España lo pedí en Battlefront. ¿Y ahora qué?
Honestamente, creo que no pasa nada si el juego lo recibes de BFC una semana más tarde que si lo hubieras comprado a las tiendas en la fecha indicada.

Por cierto, normalmente echale otra semana a la fecha indicada de salida.

1) Que pago 3 euros más (café y madalenas) más unos 6 euros de gastos de envío (un cine y una de palomitas pequeña).
Son 3 Euros INCLUIDO gastos de envio. El precio es de 35 dólares más 7 de gastos de envio (si no recuerdo mal). Es decir, 42 dólares.

Vete a esta dirección y haz la conversión de dólares a euros:

http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic

42 dólares son 33,86 euros.

2) Que espero una o dos semanas a que me llegue. Sé que en el caso de otros jugadores es más, ya que todos sabemos cómo se pone Correos en estas fechas.
Tendría que tardar menos incluso con el retraso navideño. A bastantes de los que lo preordenaron les tardó entre dos y cuatro días. A mi me tardó algo más pero eso fue porque me pilló el puente de la Constitución por en medio

3) Que no huelo el manual traducido (en el caso de que lo haya) Para mí no es el acabóse, pero para otros jugadores sí es una diferencia importante.
Que manía con el manual smile.gif El manual de verdad con casi total seguridad vendrá en inglés en un archivo PDF. El traducido te indicará lo más básico solamente.

No digo que sea el fin del mundo, pero es que me molesta porque todo esto se nos podía haber evitado añadiendo una simple línea en la FAQ:

"En algunos paises de Europa Occidental (como España, ...) estará disponible en las tiendas una edición en inglés con el manual traducido."

Tan sencillo como eso. Y si todo el problema es que ha habido un error de comunicación entre empresa y jugadores, me gustaría saber si ese error va a subsanarse, y si la próxima vez vamos a tener una información más clara sobre dónde, cuándo y cómo vamos a poder comprar el juego.

Venga, saludos.

Normalmente los que piden el juego a Battlefront frecuentan este foro y aquí se ha dejado claro todo eso por activa y por pasiva. De todas maneras es absolutamente cierto que eso se podía haber aclarado bastante más aunque no con tanta precisión.

También es cierto que la cosa depende de CDV y Proein. Ellos están autorizados para sacar el juego en España y pueden hacerlo o no empleando los recursos que consideren adecuados, incluida una localización total del juego, la cual no va a ocurrir. Lo máximo que podemos decir nosotros es que el juego lo va a sacar CDV en Europa pero a partir de ahí la cosa es cuestión de CDV.