PBEM Helper help?

Okay, finally got round to trying the PBEM helper utility but, being the clueless git that I am, I now need to play CM for the next two decades to actually be helped by it.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it automatically start CMAK and play the file. It only plays CMAK when I double click on CMAK in the top window after which I then have to manually select the file to play. It absolutely refuses to do anything when I select Play with the turn I want to play highlighted in the lower window of PBEM Helper.

Not a big deal in itself but it seems to be getting in the way of me getting Trusted Mode to work (though this latter may be due to unrelated bumbling on my end).

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would very much appreciate your advice.

I'm not at my home computer at the moment - I can double check things when I do get home - but off the top of my head I'm thinking that perhaps you didn't specify the folder that contains your pbem turns?

I'll screenshot my settings for CMAK and then post it later tonight so that you can compare yours to mine.

I'd love to help. Drop me an email.

The way it really works well is when you double click on the attachment in the email and it opens the game automatically for you. If it's not doing that, then it's not set up right. Let's get it right for you!

(There's a "how to use PBEMH" thread at WeBoB, but that's down for maintenance right now... I'll find the link when it comes back!)

GaJ

I have the Battlefront release of the game (i.e., non-CDV). That "run" is what was in the .ini file that came with pbem helper - but not sure what it does to be honest. By the way, you do have the latest version of pbem helper, right? I guess this is the latest: Version 1.3.362 (11.9.2004).

What controls how it loads a turn is the .vbs file - I just noticed that the CMAK entry uses the CMBB visual basic script file - you might make sure that you have that in your pbem folder as well.

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

I think I may have found the problem but I'm going to be secretive about it until one of my opponents sends me a turn so I can be absolutely sure. Yup, I suspect it's that dumb an oversight.

One question though. That "Run" subfolder in GJKs screenshot, is that a CDV version thing or should I have one too?

Turn sent. Run explained.

Alas, it wasn't what I thought it was. I suspected that it might be the default CMAK install location whereas my game was elsewhere. Pointed that field to where I installed it to instead. This wasn't the problem, as indeed it shouldn't have been as PBEM helper does know where the CMAK .exe is when opening it via the top PBEMH window.

So this points to the absence of the "Run" folder probably being at the root of my trouble. Where should that folder go, what should be in it etc? I can't see any reference to it in the pbem.ini file.

Should my "Working Folder" be C:\Documents and Settings\Eigenaar\Mijn documenten\PBEM (as per where PBEMH) or should it point to my CMAK/PBEM directory?

I do have the version GJK mentions btw.

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

Alas, it wasn't what I thought it was. I suspected that it might be the default CMAK install location whereas my game was elsewhere. Pointed that field to where I installed it to instead. This wasn't the problem, as indeed it shouldn't have been as PBEM helper does know where the CMAK .exe is when opening it via the top PBEMH window.

So this points to the absence of the "Run" folder probably being at the root of my trouble. Where should that folder go, what should be in it etc? I can't see any reference to it in the pbem.ini file.

Should my "Working Folder" be C:\Documents and Settings\Eigenaar\Mijn documenten\PBEM (as per where PBEMH) or should it point to my CMAK/PBEM directory?

I do have the version GJK mentions btw.

The latter, should point to your CMAK/Pbem folder.

Thanks for all the help guys but I'm afraid I give up.

I went to the M$ site to DL Microsoft Windows Script 5.6 and (re)installed it. And now it completely refuses to run. I removed and reinstalled PBEM Helper but it refuses to run after the initial setup. I've been f-ing about with PBEM Helper for a week now and while it sounded promising it is now just pissing me off.

Maybe I'll try again some time later but I would do well to continue using plain .txt and my mailer before I toss my POS PC out of the window entirely. Seriously, I am not getting enough sunlight exposure in winter to deal with this crap. :(

again thanks for your help everyone but for now it seems I'm beyond help.

Elmar

Stick with it. I will send you the two help manuals written to guide players to the promised land : )

Believe me I have easily saved two weeks of my life with all the speedy bits it does:

Filing all old moves in their own folders

Running through all the films - a key press a film

Trusted mode for saving lots of crappy e-mailing

Starting the game with a single click from e-mail to Helper, and another click to game running

Both guides sent

From the Primer by Krag [ynosky]

"IMPORTANT!

If you’re using a web based email account other than Microsoft’s Hotmail you’re not able to let PBEM handle your email sending. You can only use PBEM Helper to automate the loading of turns, but you will have to manually send the turns to your opponent!

If you ARE using MS Hotmail as a web based mail provider, there’s still an opportunity to experience the ‘full PBEM Helper experience’! 

Please refer to ‘Microsoft’s Hotmail and PBEM Helper’ section further down this document for more details. (Credits go out to Sivodsi Glow for pointing out this issue! Thanks!)"

I imagine then you may still be able to play fast & trusted and all other features work other than the sending. No big problem then.

Thanks heaps, Dieseltaylor.

I've tried running PBEMH again and now it's fine (in a 'it's half working, sortof' kind of way) again. I guess I'll never know why it refused to run entirely earlier. I'll set about seeing if I can get it to automate everything it should be automating and to get trusted mode working.

I'll take my tinkering with the settings in small doses though. I was >.< this close to battering my monitor with my keyboard. smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Ketil:

The guides were good, but I still have a question. How do I get PBEM Helper to remember my password so I dont have to enter it manually every turn?

1 Go to Games in Progress

2 High light game that you wish to edit (make it blue)

3 Hit F2

4 Type in your password in the space provided near the bottom.

5 Click OK

You should be set then

Yes keep the same name and allow it to increment with the mouse click and pressing F5.You are going to find this makes a hell of a difference : )

Incidentally I found my opponent was starting the game with first turn 000. It seems to prefer 001.

Also names such as:

"dieseltaylorAxisvsMerkinMuffleyAllies003"

really are way too long : ) and make it fall over. However 19 seems to work fine