Color German Armor

MikeyD

Maybe, but then how did the grass grow around the tracks? Seeing as the tow cable was deployed, and there seems to be something big and hulking right behind, my first guess would be either mechanically busted or outta gas.

Although maybe the fire was a while ago, I durno.

That's an incredible shot, thanks for posting it.

Ah, my dear Watson... you'll notice the ripe wheat in the field and the verdant greenery. I'd say this is a photo taken perhaps August of 1945. The beast has probably been sitting there since March or April, too big to be moved.

I understand a fair proportion of JagdTigers broke down on their first road march due to the radiators practically being welded shut (thanks to heroic slave labor worker sabotage?). If the gun is stuck in recoil as it appears to be, the beast may have been abandoned and destroyed after the Germans found they couldn't tow it - note the broken right track. It may have never got a chance to fire a shot in anger! - just speculation on my part.

[ September 19, 2005, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

I actually think there´s another Jagdtiger behind the first one - might as well the case that they tried to tow a broken-down tank with another (though it was forbidden) and the second one broke down, too. Then they´d set the tanks on fire so the Aliies couldn´t get their hands on it as the US repair system was quiet efficient as far as I know.

Mikey, there is some speculation that the Jagdtiger is one of a pair that was sent to Arnhem to combat the Operation Market Garden forces.

I am going on fuzzy memory here as I dont have the Concord book to hand but it said ( IIRC ) that the 2 vehicles were part of the 506 sPzAbt(? mb) and they were lost somehow. The returned strenght reports gave info that they had lost 2 vehicles as as Allied reports about 2 "Ferdinand/Elefants" being recorded as lost.

This will likely muddy the water as i dont have the info to hand to give a fuller report.. the Concord book covered German Armour at Arnhem.

best regards

Måkjager

Originally posted by Måkjager:

I am going on fuzzy memory here as I dont have the Concord book to hand but it said ( IIRC ) that the 2 vehicles were part of the 506 sPzAbt(? mb) and they were lost somehow. The returned strenght reports gave info that they had lost 2 vehicles as as Allied reports about 2 "Ferdinand/Elefants" being recorded as lost.

Nothing wrong with your memory, Paul. smile.gif

Two were apparently assigned with that unit to undergo trial, and were used during an attack on a farm in the Elst area.

Both were eventually knocked out by fighter bombers.

And it's the very same photo that appears in the Concord book you mention (no 7039)

[ September 23, 2005, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Mace ]