The Cromwell?

Europa

Europa,

British Medium tank. Served in the same way as the Sherman. For a Brit tank it was pretty good, combining speed, armor and gun in a pretty good balance. Like the Sherman it could hold it's own against the Panzer IV but was out classed by the big cats.

Did you ever see "Band of Brothers"? In the episode about Arhem they show two of them rolling into a Dutch town. One gets blown up by a Tiger.

DavidI

-----------------

...and thanks for all the fish.

Originally posted by Kingfish:

In addition, the CW and Polish armored recon regiments were equipped with Cromwells.

Excluding the Canadians, who never, ever used the Cromwell. We had only two armoured recce regiments (one in Italy, one in NW Europe with 4 Armd Div) and both were equipped, and eventually employed, as regular armoured regiments with the emphasis on infantry support rather than reconnaissance.

The Cromwell was part of the Cruiser family and not a Medium tank. As such it was supposed to exploit after other forces had broken through, and therefore it had a very high top speed, but only a modest gun and armour. I don't think the crews liked it much, which isn't suprising because by 1944 (when it appeared) the cruiser doctrine had been well and truly debunked.

I think the general opinion was that it was a good recon tank, and a crap battle tank, but we may be enlightened otherwise in due course...

[Edit] I hope I answered your second question, the Cromwell was in theory supposed to have a different role to a medium tank such as a Sherman. However in practice it ended up often doing much the same job.

GB-Cruiser-Cromwell3.jpg

[ January 20, 2005, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Pheasant Plucker ]

Originally posted by Bastables:

The Aussie and the New Zealand Armoured units never used the Cromwell either. I Presume that the South africans and Indian never used Cromwells either.

Sorry, I meant to say only CW and Polish units in NWE europe (apart from the Canadians as Michael pointed out).

I've also heard it said that the Cromwell is a great 1942 tank that unfortunately didn't make the lineup until 1944. It would have been perfect if the British forces at Gazala, say, had been equipped with them, or even later at el Alamein, but after Tunisia, they would inevitably have appeared less and less lustrous.

Michael

Originally posted by yacinator:

What's a cruiser tank? I know it has some of the properties of a light tank (****ty armor), but what makes it diffrent from a medium or light tank?

The Cromwell was fairly heavily armoured compared to the previous Cruisers. However this only put it up to a similar standard of protection as a Sherman, so it was vulnerable to most things.

People liked using them back in the CMBO days, especially the variant equipped with the short 95mm gun. It was very fast, and the 95mm could kill just about anything with its HC rounds. This is why we sometimes see people lamenting their abscence in CMAK.

The Cromwell was fast - 40-odd-mph on tracks, and was often used in recon units. a heavily modified chassis was used for the Comet, which mounted a heavily adapted 17pdr gun. Armour protection for late model Cromwells and Comets was up to 100mm.

Interestingly, the Centurion tank, that only just missed the war, was technically a Cruiser tank. Despite this, it would have been able to square off with most battlefield threats and was a less marginal design than the German heavies.

Europa,

I'd recommend getting a copy of "Death by Design" written by Beale. It gives the best (IMO) presentation of British wartime tank design and development, highlighting shortcomings. It has nice charts/graphs showing how tank families developed.

Regards,

Ken

"Death by Design" seconded. It's a good book.

Emrys:

Indeed, that's why I said technically. The A41 Cruiser was the Centurion.

The Cromwell too was not feebly armoured. It was better protected than the PzIV and, in later incarnations, had armour comparable to the Tiger in thickness. The let down was that it could only mount a medium velocity 75mm gun.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

The Cromwell was fast - 40-odd-mph on tracks, and was often used in recon units. a heavily modified chassis was used for the Comet, which mounted a heavily adapted 17pdr gun. Armour protection for late model Cromwells and Comets was up to 100mm.

Interestingly, the Centurion tank, that only just missed the war, was technically a Cruiser tank. Despite this, it would have been able to square off with most battlefield threats and was a less marginal design than the German heavies.

Ok

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Do you mean this only as a point of semantics? If so, I understand and agree. Elsewise, I can't see how even technically it can be described simply as a cruiser.

Chamberlain have this to say about it:

Largely resulting from the desert war tank combats, the War Office revised its policy for future tank development in September 1942 and called for an "all-purpose" or "universal" tank chassis which could be developed to fulfill the various roles previously carried out by several unrelated designs. This initiated the thinking which led to the Centurion tank.
I take this to mean that it was to fulfill the roles of infantry tank, assault tank, and cruiser tank. Technically. From the outset.

Michael

Do you mean this only as a point of semantics?
Pretty much, although Beale puts its lineage in with the Cruisers.

Really, the primary characteristic of a Cruiser is its mobility. Poor armour is a side effect of this, not a necessity. Once you have the engine power, you can up the armour and still have a Cruiser - ref the Cromwell and Comet.

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by flamingknives:

Do you mean this only as a point of semantics? If so, I understand and agree. Elsewise, I can't see how even technically it can be described simply as a cruiser.</font>