Web frontend to Chis Excel chart.

Originally posted by folke:

If you haven't tried OpenOffice and have good amount of bandwidth you can download it at.

www.openoffice.org/

The compability with M$ office is good.

And it's open source.

I found one problem: Excel uses Visual Basic macros while Open Office uses Java. Some spreadsheets use a lot of macros - I don't know if the chart Chris made does.

Very nice looking site, easy to navigate and looks to be a nice resource for all to use. As a creator of dynamically driven (database) web sites, I know the work that goes in to creating something like this, great job!

I'd like to go ahead and add your site to my reference area at The Proving Grounds if you don't mind, I'm sure scenario designers and playtesters will find this a valuable source.

Edit: I see that you have a link to me already, so link reciprocated. ;)

[ May 06, 2004, 05:08 AM: Message edited by: GJK ]

Looks good but there seems to be something up in the british FO department.

The 25pdr FO is listed as blast 11 and has armor penetration data whereas none of the other FOs have penetration or blast data (and I find it hard to belive the blast from a 25pdr is 11)

great work though

i use Open Office on my linux partition but prefer to avoid it at home - thanks anyway.

this may be a lot of work but what about a content managment system for the data? as things are changed with patches or found to be false you (or whoever) could change the values with a web front end.

First of all I want to thank all of you for the nice comments.

Originally posted by Joachim

What is missing is the availability dates - they are given for some ammo types, but not for the units.

Hepp, missed that one. Should be fixed later this evening.

Originally posted by GJK

I'd like to go ahead and add your site to my reference area at The Proving Grounds if you don't mind, I'm sure scenario designers and playtesters will find this a valuable source.

Thanks that's great.

And I hope that no one feels offended that I added

links on the site without asking the author first.

If that is the case I am sorry.

Just send a message to me and the links will go away.

Originally posted by Beta1:

Looks good but there seems to be something up in the british FO department

Oups, code error. There was an error in one mysql query..

Should be fixed now.

Originally posted by Other Means:

his may be a lot of work but what about a content managment system for the data? as things are changed with patches or found to be false you (or whoever) could change the values with a web front end

That would be a great feature, for the moment I fixed a little error report function on every units page.

My guess is that I made some typo's here and there, so if someone finds an error it's easy to report it..

But in the long run is the best solution a system that some users can edit the data itself.

(It's another question if I really can fix that, but at least I can give it a try.)

After the initial bug hunt I will continue to work on a uploading script for screen shots,

to take the place of the good looking N/A pictures. smile.gif

-- Regards Folke

[ May 06, 2004, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: folke ]

this may be a lot of work but what about a content managment system for the data? as things are changed with patches or found to be false you (or whoever) could change the values with a web front end.

The site appears to be dynamically driven, so I'm sure that he has a backend setup already for updating records. Are you thinking of a frontend where anybody could log in and then make the changes? Surely you wouldn't want that. :eek:

it's driven from a static DB. what you need is a way for trusted users to change the DB.

i might also be good to have a comment field where you can say "if you are fighting Germans in sept 44, their best armour deal is the Stug (model), this is the best counter".

i'm not saying i'd be the best person to supply this data but it might level the playing field for QB's.

but i write systems like this myself so i know the work involved. hey - at least it's php. my favorite web tech. there's a good CMS written for it called Midgard which offers some free, useful & customisable functionality.

it might also be good to have a comment field where you can say "if you are fighting Germans in sept 44, their best armour deal is the Stug (model), this is the best counter".

I'm into that though to, some fields that users can fill in comments, tactics or something like that.

oooo just found another couple!!!!

The same 25pdr FO seems to have armor penetration values that look wrong (reported this one through the error link)

And theres a spelling mistake on the list of british equipment "assault gun"

oooo just found another couple!!!!

The same 25pdr FO seems to have armor penetration values that look wrong (reported this one through the error link)

And theres a spelling mistake on the list of british equipment "assault gun"

The spelling mistake is fixed smile.gif

And I will look in to the gun issue on arty's.

I think that i got it wrong with the links unit -> gun..

The 25pdr has a 88mm gun, and i linked it to the:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">88mm,Puppchen,Hollow,150,11,171,148,86,171,148,86,500m max

</pre>

thats explains it!

Otherwise I would be buying a lot of 25pdr FOs for anti tank duty

That could be an intresting battle.. ;)

Thnx for checking the data out..

It's so easy that these sort of bugs slips by..

• 2 weeks later...

Small update.

Now you can upload ingame shot's of units to the db.

There is only one / unit.

And when one is uploaded it wents to pending until it's checked out..

We dont want that the Tiger got some pr0n pic at the unit page, or... ;)

So, pls feel free to upload some cool ingame shots.

---

Regards folke,

Sweden

Update.

Air Units is now in db.

What do you think is the best:

Have all unit types directly under the country.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">» Australia «

Air unit

Antiaircraft gun

Antitank gun

Antitank team</pre>

Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

Directly under Country

Ok, I leave them like they are.

-

Infantry is now added too.

-

Now all the "data" is in it's place.

Optimization and beautification can begin smile.gif

-

Is it interesting to have some kind "tactics" text on the units?

Like Other Means suggested.

And I think that you don't want me to write those tactics :D

(It would be fun if "my tactics ©" were used..

Total chaos on the battlefield anyone.. ;) )

[ May 17, 2004, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: folke ]