Churchill AVRE

wasi

As i first saw the Churchill AVRE i thought it was another support tank providing HE fire against soft targets. Then i noticed that it uses this special kind of ammunition ("hohlladung" in german) that is used to penetrate armour. However the low muzzle velocity would make hitting a target moving faster than a handicapped turtle rather difficult. Was it originally designed to fight the german westwall bunkers during the invasion? I know some amphibious tanks were used, but as i can remember they didn't do well. Was the AVRE such a vehicle, or had it another purpose?

According to the Advanced Squad Leader notes for the Churchill AVRE it was indeed intended for "bunker busting". To wit, "The Dieppe raid in 1942 emphasized the sappers' need for some kind of armored vehicle to assist with the demolition of obstacles while under fire. the Chruchill was chosen for this because of its roomy interior and the large hatches on the sides of the hull. In this role it was designated the Armoured Vehicle, Royal Engineer -- or AVRE. Churchill III and IV were used for the conversion, with applique armor added to increase their survivability." ...and so on.

Yep; at Dieppe, most of the Royal Canadian Engineers tasked with breaching the gates and obstacles to allow the tanks to egress the beach were killed before getting forward.

They went in on foot, with at least one 1/4 ton truck ("jeep" or "blitzbuggy") being photographed on the beach after the raid (it didn't get far).

On the other hand, not a single tank crewman was killed while inside his vehicle at Dieppe. Hence, you can see why the decision was made to use "funny" armour at Normandy, of which the AVRE was one.

You will notice in the game that main gun rounds from the AVRE looked like thyre being 'lobbed' at the target. Thats not farfetched. The Petard mortar lobbed a very large HE round at short ranges powerful enough to dmage a concret and steel pillbox. So could it kill a tank? Yes, even the biggest ones. But it would have to have happened in very restricted terrain I would think...

The AVRE is back in eh?

(I’m waiting for CMAK to arrive)

The AVRE was discussed in length back in the CMBO days.

Do a search for it and you’ll find threads discussing, tactics, history, the armor and armament and some very good pictures.

One interesting note was a crew member had to pop up and reload the Petard Mortar externally.

Hazardous duty that.

Originally posted by Ted:

The AVRE is back in eh?

(I’m waiting for CMAK to arrive)

The AVRE was discussed in length back in the CMBO days.

Do a search for it and you’ll find threads discussing, tactics, history, the armor and armament and some very good pictures.

One interesting note was a crew member had to pop up and reload the Petard Mortar externally.

Hazardous duty that.

Not true. The petard mortar can be loaded from a hatch above the assistant driver. Not entirely under armour, but hardly out int the open.

The nice thing about the Churchill ARVE in the game is you don't have to maneuver in for firing slit penetrations. That big 'flying dustbin' shaped charged (40 pounds?) round will take out a pillbox from any side, any angle... as long as you can hit the pillbox with that funky high trajectory!

Great fun to play with.