CMAK Uniform Mod Preview!!!

Since I, like the rest of North America, don't actually have CMAK yet, I've spent my time making mods, especially as I've played both demo scenarios to death. I gotta say, these are so cool that when I tested them in-game I peed my pants out of excitement. Well, no, I didn't, but you get the point.

In solidarity with my American brethren I will not release these until my copy of CMAK arrives in my mailbox, so those stinkin' Euros with their highfalutin' full versions of CMAK can't get their hands on them before us. ;)

How about some preview pix? Hope you got your spare undershorts handy.

Let's start with the Americans.

us1.jpg

Note the cool HBT pattern that I managed to work in to the uniform. If anything it's a little too noticeable so I may try to tone it down a bit. The HBT trousers now have pockets, as they did in real life.

us2.jpgus3.jpg

HQ units. I made everything up in Photoshop except for the binoculars, which I made from a photo of real WWII US Army binocs that my uncle is currently selling on ebay. Nice timing, as I really did not want to draw these by hand.

I also made new US tank crews, which for some reason I don't have a screenie of. I should post one as they're also supercool with all new coveralls, helmet and stuff.

Now for the Germans.

german1.jpg

These aren't just warmed-over CMBB BMPs. No sir. They've been totally reworked to reflect the coolness that is CMAK!

german2.jpg

The back view to show the field gear. Note that all gear is now "from scratch", as I got rid of the crappy "cut-n-paste" photo canteen. They're really not all that hard to draw in Photoshop, providing one has pretty good control of basic shapes and--as my old college art teacher used to stress--values. A little knowledge of Photoshop technique helps, too.

german3.jpggerman4.jpg

HQs, again. The changes here are a little more subtle. Note the new-and-improved MP40 pouches on the platoon leader.

So... what are other modders working on? It would be cool if you'd post screenies to this thread, if possible. I'll even change the title if necessary.

If for some reason screenshot hosting is needed let me know and I might be able to post a few on my server.

Originally posted by AndrewTF:

So... what are other modders working on? It would be cool if you'd post screenies to this thread, if possible. I'll even change the title if necessary.

First, those uniforms are beyond awesome.

Second, I'm working on a sound mod for both CMAK and CMBO, which I just bought last week.

Here are a few samples:

Kar98

105mm Gun

.50cal MG

20mm AAA

[edit] - Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan take the credit for most of the mod's effects.

[ December 01, 2003, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Sniped_Ash ]

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikeT:

Andrew, just noticed something, your trademark grenade in the belt is missing!

MikeT

:eek: You're right! I hadn't noticed! :eek:

I'll see if I decide to add it on. Perhaps I should just leave it out this time... just because. smile.gif </font>

I still don't like the sit of those gas mask canisters. I'll take some pictures of my actual gear - the canisters have web pull tabs on them; gravity would now allow them to sit perfectly flat as you have them depicted. The breadbag/messtin/water bottle was also worn to one side or the other, and the gasmask worn at a 45 degree angle; there is a short web tab on one end of the canister that hooks to the belt, while the other hand has the shoulder strap. There was no way to attach it to the equipment, that I can tell, where it would sit horizontally as you have it (unless it was with equipment straps and the A Frame, which aren't visible in your mod - and frankly I doubt anyone would have done that to begin with).

Am I being picky, much?

del1.jpg

del2.jpg

del3.jpg

My canister is postwar so I can't show you the web tab, but the method of attachment to the web gear is the same. Not the short web tab at one end, with the hook, and the shoulder strap.

A very mickey mouse system, I don't know how they lived with this stuff, but they did...

[ December 02, 2003, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I still don't like the sit of those gas mask canisters. I'll take some pictures of my actual gear - the canisters have web pull tabs on them; gravity would now allow them to sit perfectly flat as you have them depicted. The breadbag/messtin/water bottle was also worn to one side or the other, and the gasmask worn at a 45 degree angle; there is a short web tab on one end of the canister that hooks to the belt, while the other hand has the shoulder strap. There was no way to attach it to the equipment, that I can tell, where it would sit horizontally as you have it (unless it was with equipment straps and the A Frame, which aren't visible in your mod - and frankly I doubt anyone would have done that to begin with).

Am I being picky, much?

Yes... :D

And thanks for the pix--they'll come in handy. smile.gif

Actually, Michael, I am familiar with how the gas mask canister, et al., were worn, but you have to remember we're dealing with the blocky (by necessity) CM soldier 3D models, not a real-live person. The field gear is not modeled in 3D but has to be depicted using "trompe l'oeil" methods in a 2D graphics file.

That said, there's just not enough space on the BMPs to depict everything realistically. In real life the gear would have been carried both on the back and the side of the soldier, but with the current 3D model in CM this is pretty hard to do, especially as the torso side BMPs are mirrored. If I were to show the gas mask canister hanging at a 45º angle I would have to omit the mess tin or overlap it, which would look really odd (it does, I've tried it). In order to fit all the gear in, I have to use a bit of artistic license.

BTW, if you look at the platoon/section HQ of my latest CMBB Heer uniform mod you'll note that I tried to depict the gas mask canister hanging at an angle. It's not a perfect 45º though (so put away your protractor) ;) .

Originally posted by MAsta_KFC:

So Andrew, hows them uniform mods going? When will we expect to see them? :D ?

Soon! It will actually help when I have the full version of the game (long story--it's on its way smile.gif )

The bad side of this is that I don't get to play CMAK for a few more days. The good side is that I can spend a little more time making MODS.

You should see the Afrika Korps uniforms I have waiting for you... ;)tongue.gif

I gotta say, these are so cool that when I tested them in-game I peed my pants out of excitement. Well, no, I didn't, but you get the point.

How about some preview pix? Hope you got your spare undershorts handy.

Note the cool HBT pattern that I managed to work in to the uniform.

Wow. All this AND so modest too. ;) They are nice mods though. Good work.

Kitty

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kitty:

Wow. All this AND so modest too. ;) They are nice mods though. Good work.

Kitty

Thanks!

And I usually am very modest and self-depricating--really!--ask almost anyone. smile.gif I decided to be different this time. ;) </font>