Any bad backs out there?

_Axe_

I've thrown mine out twice (both times requiring a trip to the emergency room). Once while squatting - which isn't nice when you've got 400+ lbs on your shoulders. The 2nd time was when doing cable rows, too much weight and I think I got cockeyed a bit.

Both instances were years ago though, and knock on wood, my back has been solid since while working out.

I do have back pain though. If I stand for too long, or when I jog (or try to more like it, I'm all stair climber now), it'll tighten up and hurt like a be-yotch.

I've never been to a chiropracter (though a good friend of mine is one) and aside from muscle relaxers at the time that I threw it out, I take nothing for it.

I do love pain though.

I've been kind of bedridden for several days now with the flu (the computer's in the bedroom so I don't have to walk to get to it). During the times when I feel somewhat better I get up and get on it. No games (ie. CMAK & CMBB) as they require too much concentration and I start to get dizzy again. I have to get up though as my back & right hip hurt so friggin' much after lying down for so long (I had hip replacement surgery almost 11 years ago so I can sympathise (sp?) with what you going through right now {as far as pain goes}). :eek:

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

I should also mention these elastic bands that are available. I have one at my workplace and enjoy some exercises every now and then. These things are so versatile that they can replace a gym!

Best regards,

Thomm

I used to do advertising for Thera-Bands and Dyna-Bands, two products like you're talking about. Now I do advertising for REP Bands, a latex-free alternative.

Resistance exercise products are good and it doesn't hurt that they're pretty inexpensive and convenient.

More useless, trivial advice

My brother went through a bit with his back about 2 years ago...maybe longer. His was a disc issue. Started as a pain in his knee. So he favored that knee which only made problem worse as the source was his back, not his knee. He toughed it out for awhile and tried exercise. He eventual went under the knife to carve a little bit of bone out of the way. He is back to 100% and does his back exercises like a good lad.

This procedure was not without risk though. I think he had a 20% chance of paralysis. But as he had been crawling around on all fours in pain for a month, he opted for the knife. This was because he DIDN'T FECKIN' GO TO A DOCTOR!!!...oh, I'm sorry. Did that wake you up?

Thanks for all the tips and stories guys and gals.

I went to the hospital and the attending said he could see my back muscles spasming. He prescribed an anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxant.

I just wrecked it again about three hours ago. :mad: The pain is frickin' gross. :mad:

Took the muscle relaxant half an hour ago. Time to go ZZZZZZZzzzzZZZZ.

Originally posted by mike_the_wino:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

I recommend drugs. Lots and lots of drugs.

Here, here. Where can I get some? And why do the docs only give me cough syrup w/ codiene when I am sick. That stuff is great. </font>

Originally posted by Axe2121:

P.S. The admins are gettin' mighty slack.

In my day you would never make it to page two of a wrong forum post.

They're cutting you slack because of the muscle relaxants. Not because you're taking them, but because you sent them some. :mad:

And like I said in the Waffle thread - you're a hypochondriac. You're a newlywed. The longer you stay married, the less your back will bother you. :D :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by Snarker:

You're a newlywed. The longer you stay married, the less your back will bother you.

Hell, he doesn't even have to stay married. He's already said he's almost 33. In another couple of decades...well, probably better I not say it. Let's just say that the proximate causal factors will be removed.

;)

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Snarker:

You're a newlywed. The longer you stay married, the less your back will bother you.

Hell, he doesn't even have to stay married. He's already said he's almost 33. In another couple of decades...well, probably better I not say it. Let's just say that the proximate causal factors will be removed.

;)

Michael </font>

Originally posted by Axe2121:

Thanks for all the tips and stories guys and gals.

I went to the hospital and the attending said he could see my back muscles spasming. He prescribed an anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxant.

I just wrecked it again about three hours ago. :mad: The pain is frickin' gross. :mad:

Took the muscle relaxant half an hour ago. Time to go ZZZZZZZzzzzZZZZ.

The anti-inflammatory's and the muscle relaxants are crucial to start with. You want to chill everything out first and then figure out what to do about it. I've got a eight inch rod fused to my spine and do martial arts so, as you can imagine, I get very funky lower back issues. Avoid heat, at least at first, and see an orthopedic surgeon and then find a good chiropractor. The best way to safeguard your back is to strengthen your core muscles. It's not enough just to work on the lower back...you have to balance out the whole system.

Surprised no-one has said this yet but Yoga & Palates are excellent for stretching & strengthening your back and core muscles.

The only downside is having to exercise around a lot of sweaty, Lycra clad women.

Actually, the real downside is listening to a lot of tripe about "Feel the power of the Earth making your shake." While you're thinking "Oxygen debt.". But you can ignore that while you're trying to avoid staring.

Axe, sorry to hear about your back. The fact that you are experiencing back pain fills me with Schadenfreude.

Actually, the fact that you exist at all fills me with Schadenfreude. Your very existence is like a horrible blow at the worthwhileness of the Universe.

But in the spirit of 'helping, sharing and caring', I am willing to drive to the Canadian hellhole that you call home, take off my size 8 1/2 shoes, and my socks, and walk upon your back in my bare, dainty quasi-Celtic feet. I am also willing to put my shoes back on, with or without socks, and walk upon your groin.

Please let me know if this will help, so I can schedule a visit.

For a fellow Board member of your stature, I think that no sacrifice is too great.