Different penetration values for same gun CMBB-CMAK? *SPOILER*

Panzer76

Ok, I thought it was a bit odd the penetration values for the axis 50 mm ATG and the Sherman gun so I checked with the pen values in CMBB, and it seems the pen in CMAK is higher. Am I seeing double here? If it is indeed higher, why is that?

[spoiler warning added - MOON]

[ November 19, 2003, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Moon ]

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Yup, thats the answer smile.gif Basically we put a lot more research into armour penetration between CMBO, CMBB and CMAK and although CMBB is has damn fine calculations in it CMAK does take it another step further.

Dan

Is this gun specific changes or the general penetration algorithm change?

It's the underlying model thats changes it's a very significant change and if so, is there any plans to update the CMBB to the new model?

I dont think so, but I gotta ask smile.gif

SCENARIO SPOILER

I was surprised that in one battle, two of my Shermans stuffed 75mmAP rounds into a StuH from just over 100m, only to achieve a 'partial penetration'. In the old days of CM:BB and CM:BO that sort of ranged attack would be enough to put a round in the front and out the back. smile.gif

Huh, the 75mm Sherman gun has a max penetration of 104mm in 1943.

I am afraid that doesn't mix well with existing firing data against 80mm Tiger sides and turret rears. Only the new ammo introduced in October 44 should be able to penetrate the Tiger's sides, at least that is what forum wisdom had to offer so far.

CMAK has Shermans firing 75mm uncapped solid AP rounds which really penetrate homogeneous armor like crazy, but are much less effective than APCBC against face-hardened plates.

But Sherman 75mm ammo will switch from AP to APCBC as time goes on.

CMBO only allowed Shermans 75mm APCBC and the penetration figures did not consider the large HE burster, which dropped the penetration by about 10%.

Originally posted by Panzer76:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by oskarm:

May I ask what are the sources of new tables of penetration in CMAK? All tables I ever seen were rather similar to this from CMBO.

Compare the same guns in CMAK and CMBB </font>

Ok, so the Sherman 75mm is now capable of destroying Tigers from the side (homogenous armor) before they switch to APBC.

I was under the impression that 75mm Shermans and Cromwells could not penetrate Tiger backs and sides during the Summer of 1944, only later when they got APBC.

But the data here implies the opposite.

You forgot the 15% untermenschen slimy red horde of mongol commies penalty in CMBB. If you take that into account it all makes sense. You will find much the same reasoning in lots of other places in CMBB numbers, if you pry in the slightest and your mind isn't a loop to loop reel of Signal magazine reruns...