Tobruk

I played Tobruk at a hobby shop in Saint Cloud when I was ten against the equivalent of "Comic Book Guy". As he blew my tanks to pieces he explained to me that I needed to knock out the tracks of his tanks first then drive around to their side to take them out. Such was my introduction to the world of wargaming. I don't really know that I got what he was saying at the time. . . .

I started out around 10 with Tactics II and then played the hell out of the AH classics. At 12 or 13 I almost beat a guy who'd written an Afrika Korps tactics article in The General at a tournament. I overran him and took his last on board supplies and took the 'almost to Alexandria' hex (Tobruk was besieged) so he couldn't get supplies to his troops out on the board. Heh heh. But I was only a kid so I stupidly left the supplies where he could capture them back.

Even so, he was white-faced after that. He'd even asked me (in a very quiet voice) to let him take back the move which enabled my overrun.

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

My first wargame was also Afrika Corps but that was before Avalon Hill took over the original Jedko design. They hardly changed a thing apart from double printing the counters. An excellent introductory game to the world of board wargaming.

Regards

Jim R.

The double-printing of counters in AH games caused it's own problems on occasion. It took me a couple of years to realise that my brother and I were playing with both sets in Stalingrad - my that map was crowded redface.gif

Afrika Korps was my 2nd ever purchase - great game, although my favourite was (and still is) Ceasar.

My first wargame was also Afrika Corps but that was before Avalon Hill took over the original Jedko design.

Hang on a sec. Are you sure we're talking about the same Afrika Korps? The one I have reference to came out in 1965 and I don't recall any connection with Jedko. I did see a later game by Jedko sometime around 1981 that was generally like Afrika Korps but a tad more sophisticated. I think AH did buy that one.

They hardly changed a thing apart from double printing the counters.
The original AH Afrika Korps most assuredly did not have back printed counters.

Michael

Yes you're right Michael, my memory was failing me. I meant to say my first wargame was The African Campaign by Jedko Games which I received for my twelfth birthday. It kept me going for months on end. Although it was good for its day it was far surpassed by the absolute classic subsequent release by Jedko of The Russian Camapign. This particular wargame was a gem & became one of Avalon Hills best sellers for its day when they took over the title.

Regards

Jim R.

Yes you're right Michael, my memory was failing me. I meant to say my first wargame was The African Campaign by Jedko Games which I received for my twelfth birthday. It kept me going for months on end. Although it was good for its day it was far surpassed by the absolute classic subsequent release by Jedko of The Russian Camapign. This particular wargame was a gem & became one of Avalon Hills best sellers for its day when they took over the title.

Right on all counts!

:D

Have a brew, bro!

Michael

Originally posted by CMplayer:

This is the original, afaik:

From 1965 africakorps.jpg

Gosh, does that image bring back memories. That was the first game I stayed up all night to finish. My roommates were shocked when they stumbled out of bed to go to class and found me there on the floor, hunched over the map board, raving incoherently about the 7SG, which I mistakenly called the Scotch Guards.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Ten is awful young to try to come to terms with a game as complex as Tobruk. You should have started off with something simpler, like AH's Afrika Korps.

Michael

Dont judge everyone equally sir! Why, when I got tired of beating european chessmasters at age 12, I embarked on my glorious board wargame career.... Took up writng haikus too.. tongue.gif

My first wargame was also Afrika Corps but that was before Avalon Hill took over the original Jedko design. They hardly changed a thing apart from double printing the counters. An excellent introductory game to the world of board wargaming.

Regards

Jim R.

Uncanny. Jedkos' Afrika Corps was my first game too. I was 13 IIRC. Maybe 12.

My second game was also from Jedko, a little thing called Fortress Europa. I'm pretty sure I still have them both, although the SS divisions are looking more white than black now ...

Jon

Ahhh...the memories. Thanks for the suggestion about the brew Michael, I'll do my best tonight after squash. smile.gif

Interesting co-incidence isn't it Jon. I think we were lucky to be introduced to the hobby by such a good wargame company. I only bought Fortress Europa when I was well into my teens & never really got into it due to diversions such as SPI's Sniper! and subsequently, Squad Leader.

Regards

Jim R.

Originally posted by Cessna:

SPI's Sniper - Lord, we played the hell out of that. Specificly the TSR redux. It was the only wargame I could get ahold of during a long overseas deployment with the USMC - we completely wore out our copy...

You didn’t get tired of filling in those pads plotting every man’s moves / actions?

Help me here you old Avalon Hill grognards. My only published article was in "The General" in around 1966 or 1967. I've never been able to find it. It was proposing the concept of "impulse moves." The article was in reference to "Stalingrad." The article's author is the same as my post name, on this forum---name on my e-mail. I would be extremely grateful if someone has this article and could forward.