Tobruk

Originally posted by wygal:

Help me here you old Avalon Hill grognards. My only published article was in "The General" in around 1966 or 1967. I've never been able to find it. It was proposing the concept of "impulse moves." The article was in reference to "Stalingrad." The article's author is the same as my post name, on this forum---name on my e-mail. I would be extremely grateful if someone has this article and could forward.

You mean impulse moves as an alternative to Igo-Ugo? You proposed that in 1967? That's the greatest thing since sliced cheese! Seriously!

A few days ago I whipped out my copy of Squad Leader and set up 'the Guards Counterattack', just for nostalgia's sake, but couldn't get past two moves. Why? Because the impulse system in 'Lock n Load' (derived from other games of course) is so totally superior in play and feel.

CMplayer, you misunderstand. "Stalingrad" is a corps level game. In the old days of gaming, a mechanized corps was only given a bonus in the number of hexes it could move in one turn, say 3 hexes vs 1 for foot inf. "Impulse", as I proposed, would give mechanized units the ability to continue their move beyond the first contact if they had further movement points. This would simulate a blitzkrieg type advance. This concept was adapted a couple of years later into "War in Russia," a successful Australian venture.

Originally posted by wygal:

CMplayer, you misunderstand. "Stalingrad" is a corps level game. In the old days of gaming, a mechanized corps was only given a bonus in the number of hexes it could move in one turn, say 3 hexes vs 1 for foot inf. "Impulse", as I proposed, would give mechanized units the ability to continue their move beyond the first contact if they had further movement points. This would simulate a blitzkrieg type advance. This concept was adapted a couple of years later into "War in Russia," a successful Australian venture.

I kind of thought that's what you meant, but 'impulse' was the wrong word to use and inevitably led to CM's confusion. What you are talking about was introduced (so far as I know) in SPI's game Kursk and they called it a 'mechanized movement phase'.

Impulse movement was (again, so far as I am familiar with it; somebody else may have done it first) was introduced by GDW in their game Velkii Luki and also in Suez '73 and Road to the Rhine, among others. Usually it means that each side gets a variable number of movement and combat phases until all your units have used up their movement allowance or have engaged in combat. It was an attempt to portray the fluid and sequential nature of combat. I never liked it myself, because it introduced strange in-game anachronisms such as being able to fire on enemy units before they had even arrived in range.

Michael

I still have the old AH " Tobruk " game laying around somewhere in my apt. I tried making a couple of CMAK scenarios out of the firefights in the old game, however they didn't transfer too well to CMAK.

Holy $#@%!!!! This is my 1000th post! Don't I win a bunch of BFC stuff or something? ;):D

[ May 08, 2004, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Rob Murray ]

Originally posted by Rob Murray:

I still have the old AH " Tobruk " game laying around somewhere in my apt.

Interesting how different generations sometimes perceive things differently. I still think of Tobruk as a new game.

:D

Holy $#@%!!!! This is my 1000th post! Don't I win a bunch of BFC stuff or something? ;):D
Parvenu.

Michael

Getting back to that classic game Sniper! does anyone remember playing the "supersoldier" rules? Could never be killed outright, had unlimited ammo and in fact was so virtually invulnerable the super-soldier could drop a hand grenade at his feet and not even suffer a scratch no matter what die roll you threw! smile.gif

Every time I played those rules I pictured Vic Morrow for some funny reason. ;)

Regards

Jim R.

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Getting back to that classic game Sniper! does anyone remember playing the "supersoldier" rules?

I do believe Brian Rock and I did try playing the supersoldier rules, and something about taking out a tank comes to mind.

Maybe Brian can recall much better than I can, because this would be circa 1976 or 77?

Btw Brian had a copy of SPI's 'patrol' which was an rural version to the Urban based 'sniper', and just as much fun.

All this talk about classic boardgames makes me want to drag them out of storage and set them up again.

Mace