Hey! What happened to my factory?

Derfel

OK, I'm not usually one to gripe, and especially about CM but here goes;

I just started exploring the CMAK-editor and discovered that the "Factory" option has been deleted.

For my life of me I can't see why. The factories in CMBB were among the more useful constructions and could be made to simulate a lot of different structures.

Surely there is a place in Italy and Africa for this type of buildings? Not just as factories but simulating aircraft hangars, train depots etc etc

Personally, if I have to choose between the new "building with pavement" and the CMBB-type factory I'd go for the factory, but that might just be me...?

Your thoughts on this, fellow scenario designers?

Regards,

Derfel

I wonder if there's a limit to the number of tiles included in the game and that's why we don't see the factory - it's been replaced by those town houses on pavement (which are great, by the way).

However, I too would have liked to have seen the factories remain, along with the 'steppe' (renamed to something else of course) because it helped to break up the monotony of the rolling grassland in scenarios.

I wonder if there's a limit to the number of tiles included in the game and that's why we don't see the factory
Yes, I was wondering that as well... anybody out there who can enlighten us on this point?

If they were to add factories in a patch yjey'd probably have to throw out every CMAK scenario and start from scratch. doesn't sound likely.
I don't quite see why they'd have to throw out previous scenarios...?

Regards,

Derfel

Originally posted by redwolf:

Do you really want Italian factories? smile.gif

I, for one, do. The historical scenario I started working on before I received CMAK involves a factory(in a non-starring role) , so I was disappointed to see that the scenario editor did not include factory tiles.

I can understand why they might not have been included initially and won't be included in any patch, but it would be nice to have them.

Originally posted by Tha_Field_Marshall:

Use heavy buildings. They work the same way. :cool:

That's the approach I am taking, although you can' walk through the walls of adjoining heavy buildings. It doesn't affect gameplay of the particular scenario I am making; I just like the look of actual factories.

Bummer, I'm really going to miss the factories... Thanks for the replay anyway Rune.

And no, Heavy buildings aren't quite as useful nor as flexible when it comes to simulating aircraft hangars, railstations, train depots, POW barracks, waterfront-warehouses, and a dozen other structures not covered by the standard buildings.

Ah, well...

-Derfel

And I guess they might be out in the first place because of a format limitation. Probably replaced by sand bags.

Maybe there is either a max. number of different elements the editor can handle or that can be stored in the file format or both.

Probably something like a byte as id for the building which would give them just a limited number of objects.

Da Bump- this back to the top to keep the topic from disappearing too quickly....

I imagine that this is a long shot, but just to make another vote in favor of returning the Factory terrain feature. Much like others had said, this is a very useful terrain feature and can be used for modelling items other than factories.

Please BFC re-consider the decision....

Originally posted by rune:

Nothing to reconsider, it will not be added back in.

Rune

Alright, but then I am curious what was the reasoning why the factory terrain tile was removed from the source code? What were the functional or technical limitations that led to the demise of the factory terrain tile?

It would seem that it is an advantageous feature that would be maintained from one version of the source code to the next verison.

Help me understand why it is no longer present.

Thanks.

Originally posted by AndrewTF:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Keke:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ace Pilot:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by redwolf:

Do you really want Italian factories? smile.gif

Where else do you expect AndrewTF's Gucci uniform mods to come from? :D

</font>