A Sequel to Combat Mission

Hi,

Very little is known so far.

However, there is a completely new engine in the works, due out in 2005. New graphics engine, new everything. Some concessions have been made to those wishing for an operational layer… but how far this goes is unknown.

The main point is that there are more goods on the way:)

All the best,

Kip.

PS. As yet it goes under the title of CMX2.

One rare interview I recall reading (given by Moon?) stressed the time/season/latitude effects in the new engine. I guess the sun won't be up very long during those winter battles in Finland! Also, the grass willl be rendered in a different manner. Sounds like they decided to work on the 'important' stuff before concentrating on the details like... the contents of the game! :confused:

You do the engine first, and you do it well - then you can do the contents of the game(s). I think we can trust them to know what things they did wrong when making CMBO, CMBB and CMAK the way they made them, and how to improve on that.

I would speculate they have outlined some plans about the first game with the new engine, and have been doing research on it, but haven't set the exact boundaries of the game yet. This will happen at a later date when they can better analyse their timetable. Because if you first decide that your new game will feature a campaign that has 600 units, and then you plan that it will be finished in 6 months starting from the day when the engine is ready, but then on that day it turns out that it will take 12 months to make the 600 unit game, or you need to discard half of the stuff to get it done in 6 months, well... you have a problem. My point being that making a game in these days can be a far more complex project than Joe Average would think.

It is also possible that the next CM isn't anything like CMBO-BB-AK, but - for example - something like Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far, where you command some detachment of a certain Army Corps in a few weeks period over certain objectives, with everything taking place over photorealistic satellite-image maps. Or one possibility would be a wider scope, like the whole world 1914-1956. Neither are likely, but still, nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. And mankind just isn't mature enough to face the truth about Universe and CMX2 before year 2005.