Secret Weapons of the Peng Challenge

dalem

Mechanized warfare AAR a Messianic production

Knight to be (indeed should be) 37mm, leading light of the House of Morse, wielder of the sacred doorknocker HEAT round AND official, Peng blessed & disowned, Messiah of the Peng challenge thread VS. Nidan1 proof that my liege can make mistakes & the challenge thread whipping boy

Nidan1's CM ability was well known to me & this caused a minor dilemma. If I was to pick an ordinary scenario or QB I’d be assured the pleasure of grinding this smarmy 'stickypiss loving' 'New Yoika' beneath my huge boots however to some extent the Peng challenge thread is a ‘challenge thread’ and I felt that the need for a challenge was more important than the guarantee of victory (this was before intensive ‘training’ by my liege since then I have learnt better).

As such I sent Nidan a set up in which I took the Soviets in a mechanised force type meeting engagement in August 41.

In short his armoured cars would come equipped with rapid firing 20mm auto-cannons which would tear apart my own slow firing tin cans. A single 37mm Pak could probably take out a company of BA’s, his infantry are at the top of their game & totally superior, he has access to AT-rifles, brilliant HMG’s & fast artillery.

My ‘advantage’ would be a few extra shells for my on board mortars.

The battle would be played in fog & rain which would protect me from stuka’s and close the combat ranges to about 450m max.

I took 16 armoured cars, three 75mm infantry guns pulled by three jeeps, a rifle company with attached maxims and mortars, an 81mm FO, a 12.7mm HMG and three ampulomets.

The plan was to take the central wood & from their dominate the centre of the battlefield. I then intended to move cautiously towards the objectives & acquire contact with the enemy. When I knew where the enemy were & in what force I could then reinforce key areas as required primarily with a reserve platoon, the jeep-infantry guns, any spare BA’s & the artillery spotter.

a9rmechwar.th.jpg

I’ll let Nidan1 explain his ‘plan’ in his own words…

I read a book about combined arms recently but it was confusing so I figured I’d try what napoleon taught us i.e. division of force. I split my cavalry on one flank (I didn’t have any horses [bFG fix or do sumfink] so I took crack armoured cars cause they’s is well ‘ard) and the infantry on the other. Both would drive at the flags & sit there till the battle was over.

The battle began with an early attack by three of Nidans armoured cars at the key central wood ( Nidan1: I thought there was a flag there but wasn’t silly me ) whilst my forces were still on the move, his attack caused havoc for a while… wounded the FO, destroyed an LMG unit & an infantry gun. However my armoured cars engaged and destroyed the attackers although I lost two BA’s doing so.

The enemy had clearly occupied the left flank objective wood in strength therefore my lead platoon played defensively and merely exchanged rifle fire with the Germans. On the right things really started to heat up when Nidan launched a strong ‘armoured’ push for the objectives there. All he met were my Molotov throwers which started to light up the German cars; next my infantry gun & 12.7mm HMG readjusted their positions within the central wood & finished off the force.

i7emechwart12.th.jpg

mechwart159cz.th.jpg

With this over my right flank platoon occupied the wood & massacred the crews there. Interesting to note was my LMG team on the far right first they spotted an AT gun in the open & kept it occupied till they had nearly ran out of ammo then they chased the AT gun into a wood & fired the last of their bullets into the backs of the crew, knocking it out.

Another central LMG team also knocked out an AT gun in the open.

f5kmechwart19a.th.jpg

I now began transferring forces to the left including my mortar spotter & eventually the infantry gun. Before they arrived I launched an ill fated probe with armoured cars.

r5vmechwart19.th.jpg

On turn 20 the bombardment began but it was disappointing to say the least.

n7amechwart202.th.jpg

I had began to lose BA’s from every which direction, direct HE managed to finally drive to ground some of the defenders but when my reserves were finally committed they met a team of flamethrowers!

h5tmechwart43.th.jpg

l1kmechwart44.th.jpg

The battle was a draw but I don’t know what’s worse; failing to beat Nidan1 (how many people can say that!) or Nidan1 failing so abysmally to defeat a bunch of peasants and tin cans!

j1dmechwartheehd.th.jpg

[ December 08, 2004, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: 37mm ]

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HA!, all I know is....the stench of burning Ivans, smelled like victory!. Never in a million years did this dope have any idea what was waiting for him in that patch of woods.

BTW 37mm, did you get my last turn in the new battle?

[ December 08, 2004, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Nidan1 ]

Originally posted by 37mm:

blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah blahblahblahblahblahblah blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah blahblahblahblahblahblah blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahbla hblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah blahblahblahblahblah blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah

Ye gods! He's a verbose bastard, ain't he? Must be taking lessons from Seanachai...

Michael

Originally posted by Nidan1:

BTW 37mm, did you get my last turn in the new battle? [/QB]

Yes I did but I'm having a few computer problems at home so I may have to transfer to a chess AAR!

Probably be sending turns at the the weekend may have time for an IP also...

[ December 08, 2004, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: 37mm ]

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Ye gods! He's a verbose bastard, ain't he? Must be taking lessons from Seanachai...

It's called an AAR Limpy!

It wouldn't be very much good if I just wrote "It was a draw" now would it?

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

It's called an AAR Limpy!

It wouldn't be very much good if I just wrote "It was a draw" now would it? </font>

Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dalem:

I still owe turns to everyone

...except me.

You could give me one of your models though. I could use a 1/36th scale T34 1/2 model and I'll put it together for you. </font>

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Might be better. Doubt if anything could make it good, save that at the end you die.

:D [/QB]

Now that to me sounds like it could be a cue for a challenge but I'm not so sure how to deal with you or even if I should… Aren’t you technically a SSN?

Either way you’d have to deal with a turn every three or four weeks, a major defeat two years later and then an AAR where I’d rub salt into your many wounds; so its probably best if you buggar off someplace else.

[ December 08, 2004, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: 37mm ]

Seanachai have you noticed the 'invade the Boot, or Sardinia/Corsica thread'?

Are you not going to join in and get totally ignored like you did with the 'On Map Artillery Farce' thread?

You could tell them all how the boot can only be used by Knights, I’m sure you’d be VERY popular and all.

Originally posted by dalem:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dalem:

I still owe turns to everyone

...except me.

You could give me one of your models though. I could use a 1/36th scale T34 1/2 model and I'll put it together for you. </font>

Now THAT'S what I call an AAR!

Full of specific and detailed information you can just scroll right past. Includes pictures you can actually enlarge to see what kind of lame play aids are needed (I'd hate to see what a screen capture from our match up looks like, as busy as it is without the detailed info). And let's not overlook the pedantic commentary that builds to a crescendo, only to end with a flaccid "Draw".

I think the lad's coming along quite well. It all hinges on how he fares in our challenge. The whole, "If you can snatch the pebble from my hand" bit.

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

Now THAT'S what I call an AAR!... blah, blah, blah... "If you can snatch the pebble from my hand"

Err My Lord you are in danger of being slower at returning turns than I am, heck I've sent you my last turn twice just to see if that'd get you out of the bath... but no luck.

At least you like the AAR (I think)...

Originally posted by Moraine Sedai:

I do believe you owe him a second throttling. You overlooked the "T34 1/2".

tee hee

One throttling is a sign of friendship and familiarity, two is like practically being married!

Because of your relationship with Hiram, I'll leave the 2 throttlings (or more) for you.

Mace

Originally posted by Mace:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Moraine Sedai:

tee hee

One throttling is a sign of friendship and familiarity, two is like practically being married!

Because of your relationship with Hiram, I'll leave the 2 throttlings (or more) for you.

Mace </font>

Originally posted by Moraine Sedai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mace:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Moraine Sedai:

tee hee

Mace </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Boo Radley:

Now THAT'S what I call an AAR!... blah, blah, blah... "If you can snatch the pebble from my hand"

Err My Lord you are in danger of being slower at returning turns than I am, heck I've sent you my last turn twice just to see if that'd get you out of the bath... but no luck.

</font>

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

SILENCE!

It is not up to you to question the comings and goings and staying at homings... er...whatever...of your liege lord!

I cannot be at everyone's buck and wing... er... beck and call! I have places to see, things to go and people to do!

As it happens, I may be able to pencil in a turn to you this evening, after I leave the office.

But prodding does not make the pudding... quicker...or somefink!

You sure have a way with words Sir... err is this the return of that witchery, that bizarro?

Either way Sir I've cleaned your rubber ducky (I don't know what you did to get it so, so 'dirty') so its now ready for you to, to, to... do whatever it is you 'do' with your rubber ducky