CMAK Bogging Test

Twenty Regular StuG IIIs (early mid) were given orders to "MOVE" 1,000 meters over muddy dirt. Ground pressure for these vehicles is on the high side at 14.7 ppsi.

Nine vehicles made the trip without any bogging. Seventeen managed to finish within a few turns.

The three vehicles that became "Immobilized" managed to travel 1,640 of the 3,000 meters they attempted.

Out of 20,000 meters attempted, 18,640 meters were completed.

Preliminary tests indicate dirt, arid rock, or sand make no difference. Mud is mud I think.

Don't count on mud to limit the enemy's options in a CMAK battle.

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

I've not tested this; but my in-game experience seems to indicate that bogging on dirt roads is more likely to happen with CMAK than its predecessors. Also, halftracks apparently have a great deal of trouble in CMAK open-terrain mud.

The CMAK tanks however can almost ignore mud as long as they move slow.

Nice test TreeBurst !

I just wanted to mention that people usually drive fast in combat situations. Moving slow over any surface is bad news if you are the prey in a mobile tank fight.

Especially if you are a Stug (no turret).

smile.gif

//Salkin

Ok, just ran a series of tests myself. Here's the results:

Of the 20 vehicles tested;

6 made the entire trip;

5 surrendered to nobody in particular;

5 were taken out by their own air cover;

4 tank commanders were taken out by a sharpshooter of remarkable skills;

0 of the Shermans exploded.

On a side note, none of the pzfst teams got stuck in the mud, but they also didn't blow up the buildings that they were in at time of discharging their weapons.

:D

Salkin,

There are many situations where moving at walking speed is just fine. I'm playing two scenarios right now where slow armor movement in support of an infantry attack is just fine. Spotting is better when moving slow too. I should test "hunt" out in mud.

I'm not complaining about bog chances in CMAK. In fact, I like the changes. I'm just noting the significant difference between CMBB and CMAK when it comes to bogging. This can radically affect tactics IMO.

Playing CMBO recently, I unbogged a tank for the first time. An M4A3 Sherman bogged while fast moving through open ground. The next turn, the movement line was still on the screen, so I clicked on the square and changed it to Hunt. After hitting GO, the tank resumed moving at hunt speed.

Originally posted by Sanok:

Playing CMBO recently, I unbogged a tank for the first time. An M4A3 Sherman bogged while fast moving through open ground. The next turn, the movement line was still on the screen, so I clicked on the square and changed it to Hunt. After hitting GO, the tank resumed moving at hunt speed.

Orders given after a unit bogs have no effect at all on the chances that it will unbog. You could have left him alone and he would have still unbogged. When a unit bogs the TacAI takes over and attempts to unbog itself.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Orders given after a unit bogs have no effect at all on the chances that it will unbog. You could have left him alone and he would have still unbogged. When a unit bogs the TacAI takes over and attempts to unbog itself.

Madmatt

Matt, you can say this until you turn blue in the face, people will still trust to their own superstitious "techniques" to unbog.

"If I give an order of reverse, then hunt forward, then reverse, then hunt forward, then I unbog. Nearly every time. It's true!!"

I have to agree. It seems that when my vehicles get bogged down. I do a reverse and then move at normal speed it moves out of the bog at the next turn. Maybe I've just been lucky all the time. Some times they stay bogged through out the entire battle.

Also (sound of pages turning in the dictionary) what is unbogged? Is that a new word :D

"Matt, you can say this until you turn blue in the face, people will still trust to their own superstitious "techniques" to unbog."

I've found it helps a great deal to curse loudly and repeatedly at your bogged vehicle, preferably while waving your fists in the air. It seems to speed the unbogging process along nicely ;) .

Originally posted by Madmatt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sanok:

Madmatt </font>