An amazing resource

G'day All,

Firstly, apologies for not posting in a while, but sadly my interest in CMAK flagged for a bit.

Secondly, I've discovered a book that may appeal to some scenario designers (apologies in advance to grognards who've already discovered it).

The book: Charles B. MacDonald and Sidney T. Mathews, Three Battles: Arnaville, Altuzzo and Shcmidt, Washington: Department of the Army, 1952.

It is part of the series United States Army in World War II commissioned by the Office of the Chief of Military History.

It is a very rich resource with: descriptive AARs, annotated aerial photos, 10-20m contour interval maps and battle diagrams. I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who is interested in designing scenarios based on Arnaville, Altuzzo or Schmidt.

Bearing in mind it is a government publication from 1952, I am willing to scan limited parts (maps and aerial photos) for scenario designers. If you are a serious designer, let me know and I'll email it out in jpeg or pdf form once I have a good sized mailing list.

Any takers?

Originally posted by ozi_digger:

G'day All,

Firstly, apologies for not posting in a while, but sadly my interest in CMAK flagged for a bit.

Secondly, I've discovered a book that may appeal to some scenario designers (apologies in advance to grognards who've already discovered it).

The book: Charles B. MacDonald and Sidney T. Mathews, Three Battles: Arnaville, Altuzzo and Shcmidt, Washington: Department of the Army, 1952.

It is part of the series United States Army in World War II commissioned by the Office of the Chief of Military History.

It is a very rich resource with: descriptive AARs, annotated aerial photos, 10-20m contour interval maps and battle diagrams. I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who is interested in designing scenarios based on Arnaville, Altuzzo or Schmidt.

Bearing in mind it is a government publication from 1952, I am willing to scan limited parts (maps and aerial photos) for scenario designers. If you are a serious designer, let me know and I'll email it out in jpeg or pdf form once I have a good sized mailing list.

Any takers?

I would be interested in the Schmidt maps, text, photos. I guess you could call me a serious designer. I have over 75 scenarios posted to the SD.

Panther Commander

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Hans:

Yes I have that book, some good scenario material in it.

Found my notes on that book, I would recommend

Page 192 which shows the situation prior to a german counter-attack at Monte Altuzzo. I found CMAK editor not to be up to the challenge of recreating the terrain for this mountain battle.

Page 237+ when company K attacks knob 3

I didn't find anything specific in the River Crossing at Arnaville that was doable, most of it depended on a heavy use of smoke generators.

A map on page 71 is probably a great source for a "what if" scenario.

The German counterattack of 12 September shown on map 6 on page 78 is a probable source for material for 3-4 scenarios.

The Schmidt battle I believe was done by WWB and he has a portion of it at least under a CMBO battle called Vossenack.

Good map on page 342-343

Page 365-367 Company C, 1340th Engrs at the Kall Bridge.

Page 374+ action at Kommerscheidt

Originally posted by Major Concussion:

If its not too late, I do quite a bit of scenario creating, and I'm always looking for something to create for. Plus I like maps.

If I'm not too late, then "goldengalleon@yahoo.com" and you asked to specify a few things: JPEG and ZIP formats, unless its easier otherwise because all those formats will work for me.

MC if you don't get a response let me know and I'll scan and send to you what you request.

Put me down for the scans too. harryink@alphalink.com.au

Thanks

I enjoyed that book. Found it in the La Trobe Uni library here in Melbourne.

I'm not surprised that CM wasn't up to the Mt. Altuzzo battle. It's extreme! Look at the photos. You'd only go up there cos it was a war!! Eagles and men with guns in front and behind them and bugger all choice, they're the only one's who go up dem moutains.

However, I expect you told the fellas at BTS your opinions, Hans?

Also Hans, given your notes on the book, can I have your babies?!

er hem

There is an battle for the Arnaville bridgehead, or rather for the hills just across the river - where the yanks sat on the wrong hill. I played it. Doesn't quite catch the flavour of a good CM fight - especially vs. the AI. I would have thought the night action where the Tigers and PIVs attack the yank's right flank might have been more promising. Company scale, more varied terrain, etc.

Originally posted by HarryInk:

Put me down for the scans too. harryink@alphalink.com.au

Thanks

I enjoyed that book. Found it in the La Trobe Uni library here in Melbourne.

I'm not surprised that CM wasn't up to the Mt. Altuzzo battle. It's extreme! Look at the photos. You'd only go up there cos it was a war!! Eagles and men with guns in front and behind them and bugger all choice, they're the only one's who go up dem moutains.

Hans: High mountains don't look that great in the editor - cool fight but hard to model in CM

However, I expect you told the fellas at BTS your opinions, Hans?

Hans: Nah, Charles and Matt are still not talking to me after I did "Gunfight 1881"

Also Hans, given your notes on the book, can I have your babies?!

Hans: NO, but I will accept cash gifts or canned goods

er hem

There is an battle for the Arnaville bridgehead, or rather for the hills just across the river - where the yanks sat on the wrong hill. I played it. Doesn't quite catch the flavour of a good CM fight - especially vs. the AI. I would have thought the night action where the Tigers and PIVs attack the yank's right flank might have been more promising. Company scale, more varied terrain, etc.

I did pull one idea out of that book which is in the to do list, that of an American AT gun company that is sent forward to seal a gap when a battalion under fire falls apart. "Guns into the Breach", at some point I'll get to it.