Biltong's Campaign Rules

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No - at the moment 42 only runs till +- June 42. There will be another update at some time in the near future to adapt 42 for the whole of 42. I use HistoryBuff as a marker - AFAIK, he's way out front of everyone else (somewhere around April 42) and I adapt the rules when he gets close to the next marker - in this case an armor/force upgrade that is scheduled for +-July 42.

Each year will have slightly more complex/realistic rules and obviously the force will change from year to year, as the armor changes from PzIII's to the evntual King Tigers ;)

Ooops. I've ah stopped playing my BCR games to let everyone else catch up. Ooops. Yes still April. I've got a very large battle at the moment and I'm on the defensive with no sign of the enemy, it takes ages to load so I'm waiting for my new ibook which I'll be plugging up to my Widescreen TV to play smile.gif So in the mean time, catch me if you can!

I'm also waiting to see what the patch will bring - if we'll be able to go the scenario editor route - i.e.: set names/experience/ammo for each squad/team/HQ on the Battle group.

Interesting.....

Yes, 2.2 is the latest version of the player guide. Hmm I notice that the "visitors counter" has gone insane and only shows ~581 now, I'll remove it in next update.

Good news on the patch! Ammo now works in the editor! It will be a bit cumbersome, you have to manually edit every units ammo down to 0, but at least it works. It also works giving extra ammo, so now we can simulate (if we want) REALLY prepared defenses with extra ammo load.

Good news on the patch! Ammo now works in the editor! It will be a bit cumbersome, you have to manually edit every units ammo down to 0, but at least it works. It also works giving extra ammo, so now we can simulate (if we want) REALLY prepared defenses with extra ammo load.
...when the patch is officially released, can we expect to see directions in the next bersion of the BCR manual on how to load troops into the maps and adjust ammo loads, etc?

Will this upgrade also mean we can specify unique names for the unit COs and keep them? THAT would be totally sweet.

{news from kiev} onto Battle 3: sheesh, what a predicament. still in setup mode to figger this one out. Herr j0ker out.{/news}

Originally posted by massimorocca:

"2. Download the latest Player Guide 2.3 - it has a full description of Force Size and how to calculate it."

2.3? I checked Supersulo site and there is only a 2.2. Where is the 2.3?

Thx

My mistake - I've started on 2.3 but it's not out yet. 2.2 is the one on site at the moment. It does have what you need though smile.gif

Originally posted by j0ker:

can we expect to see directions in the next bersion of the BCR manual on how to load troops into the maps and adjust ammo loads, etc?

Will this upgrade also mean we can specify unique names for the unit COs and keep them? THAT would be totally sweet.

Lets see what the final patch offers first. I've never used the editor option myself. I'll test it and then write up a rough to run past the BCR Team - some of them has used the SE option for some time - and then only launch the new version.

I'm hoping we'll be able to set experience, ammo and names for each unit. I suspect it will be possible from what SS reports.

Originally posted by j0ker:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Good news on the patch! Ammo now works in the editor! It will be a bit cumbersome, you have to manually edit every units ammo down to 0, but at least it works. It also works giving extra ammo, so now we can simulate (if we want) REALLY prepared defenses with extra ammo load.

...when the patch is officially released, can we expect to see directions in the next bersion of the BCR manual on how to load troops into the maps and adjust ammo loads, etc?

{news from kiev} onto Battle 3: sheesh, what a predicament. still in setup mode to figger this one out. Herr j0ker out.{/news} </font>

It is quite simple to do. The names and experience do work already without patch. My CO is always named Hawk and I micro-manage the real experience level.

With the new patch also the ammo % level will be working.

I think I remember reading a thread on this once before, would you mind going over the procedure again please?

thanks, j0ker

Well, i thought i was ready to start, but i have a question. I rolled for my Provisional Force, and came up with 1250 pts, after rounding up. Now, the Battle Group is 653 pts. After generating the 1st Quick Battle to get the Task Force Offerings, the AI picked 2 Inf Co.'s, 9 flamethrower teams, 2 50mm mortars, 1 81mm mortar, and 3 MG-34 HMG's. Now it is time to generate the real battle. Could someone please elaborate a little on how i actually get my forces for the real battle. Do I simply buy the starting Battle Group forces, and with the leftover pts(difference bet. 1250 and 653), buy whatever I want from the Task Force Offerings? Or is the entire force I listed above purchased? I assume the former, but I want to be sure I don't make a mistake and start out on the wrong foot. And if it is the former, do I trully just pick and choose which forces i want from the TF Offerings, or are there units in it that I MUST choose? Thanks in advance for the help!

USING THE EDITOR

1) launch the Editor from main CMBB panel

2) select Load -- This allows you to select from the MapPack

3) select Unit Editor -- This allows to purchase your Battle Group and attached units. In this panel you may then select one purchased unit and click on 'Edit' to change parameters such as experience, ammo, name, ...

4) when done, remember to Save on main Editor panel the map with the purchased units

5) launch QB as per battle parameters and Load Map (the one saved in the Editor) instead of letting QB generate one

6) purchase the Task Force Units

7) fight battle

Thanks for the help Seahawk, it is greatly appreciated. One more question: when buying my Task Force, do i use the point difference between the size i rolled for(1250) and the Battle Group size(start game at 653) which is 597 pts? What I'm saying is do I only get 597 points to buy units to be in the Task Force?

Thanks,

Snowbart

New BiltAid Java tool version 1.0.2

testing now (would release as soon as no more SNAFUs appear but how? Biltong, send me an email with instructions to add new BiltAid to your site)

New from Biltaid 1.0.1

updated (rules v2.2) player experience levels

updated (rules v2.2) favor calculations

added experience calculation for tanks from infantry casualties (rules v2.2). Cases for armor/vehicle:

light - armament up to 35mm

medium - up to 50mm

heavy - over 50mm

added updated (v2.2) experience calculation for units distinguishing the cases:

COs

Squads

Special Teams (Tank hunters & Flame Throwers)

Sharp Shooters

HMG

Mortar 50mm

Added distinct management of infantry units as per above list. These units have their exp calculated as per rules v2.2.

These units may be added to a Custom Battle to re-create Battle Group from previous BiltAid version.

In principle new versions will not be backward compatible (ie you will not be able to load old version battles) simply because it makes things more complex for me (and slow down considerably the updates).

The trick is to start a new 'Custom' campaign and fill by hand the parameters and Battle Group from your last battle results. Easy for you , way easier for me smile.gif

PS

I have still lot to learn of program structure so do not be pushy ;)

[ April 11, 2003, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Seahawk-vfa201 ]

Was cruising through the early games like most everybody else when my friggin commmander asked me to do a night probe in rain and fog against a friggin Battalian of pioneers. Its back to training conscripts for Captain Gloser.

Seahawk - One feature request for the aid. It would be relly cool to keep accumlated numbers on number of enemy and friendly kills per unit. Also, using the aid I had a squad kill 57 men and not get promoted from regular to veteran. Does this make sense?

Regards,

Cpt. Gloser

[ April 11, 2003, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: hobo ]

Originally posted by hobo:

Seahawk - One feature request for the aid. It would be relly cool to keep accumlated numbers on number of enemy and friendly kills per unit. Also, using the aid I had a squad kill 57 men and not get promoted from regular to veteran. Does this make sense?

Regards,

Cpt. Gloser

Heya Gloser,

If I read the note on exp calculation (and the example as well) what the rules amounts to is +1 for the battle (if squad is still alive for the most that is), then additional points for items destroyed, then for casualties inflicted on the enemy. Rules give 2 numbers, the first is the threshold to get one additional exp point, the second is the threshold to get a second additional point. Hence the total max exp number from casualties is +2 over the default + one per battle.

Note 4: units gain 1 exp point for *any* casualty (if 1st threshold is 1) plus one extra (maximum) exp point if the second threshold is reached: for Squads is +12 casualties.

If your squad kills 11 enemies you get one extra point (extra to the default battle experience point) for having killed enemies. If instead kills 12 or plus (57 in your case) it gains a second extra point (totaling +2 from casualties).

The ludicrous idea to get one point per (instead of 'from') casualty (as some have suggested) would make your unit get to veteran in one battle only (battles last ~30 minutes).

So day one you are a newby on the battlefiles and 40 minutes later you are all veterans?! ;)

I hope you agree experience is a matter of time and staying alive battle after battle.

Note 4 of vs 2.2: example:

Squad causes 15 enemy casualties (+1 for any casualty plus an extra +1 for 12 or more casualties). Total exp gain from casualties = +2

Would be the same for a squad killing 100.

The idea is that you gain exp because you have been under fire and answered succesfully, not the number of scalps! UGHHH :D

PS

Heavy tanks (over 50mm) for example, before getting one extra point for enemy casualties have to cross the threshold of 10. Kill 9 and you get nothing. Their second threshold is 30+. Kill 29 and you still get only one extra point from casualties inflicted on the enemy.

[ April 12, 2003, 04:17 AM: Message edited by: Seahawk-vfa201 ]

Originally posted by hobo:

Seahawk - One feature request for the aid. It would be relly cool to keep accumlated numbers on number of enemy and friendly kills per unit.

Regards,

Cpt. Gloser

Forgot to answer to the above question. Guys, I am in the process of little by little understanding the structure of the program and know where to put my hands without have everything collapse miserably ;)

Brand new (involving more than updating or completing existing features) requests have to wait a little ;)

[ April 12, 2003, 04:09 AM: Message edited by: Seahawk-vfa201 ]

Originally posted by benpark:

Good news, Seahawk.

Does this version continue to '42 perchance?

Also, how does Biltaid handle battles that use custom maps (like the Kiev battle pack)?

Many thanks!

Still 41 only. To get to include 42 and subsequent years there are changes to be done that I still have to tackle and understand fully. But in principle yes, I want to get to a version that will cover the whole duration of WWII.

The custom maps is not a problem for BiltAid. The tool generates the parameters for the next battle, you then go to the map pack and select one that best matches those parameters and load that one in CMBB. This for regular custom maps. For battle-packs (fixed dates) is a bit different.

For the Kiev pack (and future battle-packs) for the time being you simply disregard the generated map features and fight the battle and parameters from the pack.

One problem - as I said - is the date. There are two solutions: one would be to allow to edit/set the date on the fly in BiltAid, the other would be - existing workaround - to fight the battle pack, enter the values in BiltAid for the experience calculation then, at the end of the pack (which has fixed dates), start a new Custom campaign which allows you to manually enter date, battle number, Battle Group composition and experience and continue with this new Campaign which has been synchronized with the after-battle-pack date.

I am open to suggestions here...

[ April 12, 2003, 04:29 AM: Message edited by: Seahawk-vfa201 ]

Originally posted by Snowbart:

Thanks for the help Seahawk, it is greatly appreciated. One more question: when buying my Task Force, do i use the point difference between the size i rolled for(1250) and the Battle Group size(start game at 653) which is 597 pts? What I'm saying is do I only get 597 points to buy units to be in the Task Force?

Thanks,

Snowbart

Hi Snowbart,

the size you roll (1250) is to let CMBB buy enemy forces. Your Battle Group is fixed (will evolve with years) then you purchase up to what you roll for task force unit type per unit type. Example, you might have rolled 80 pts for Infantry, 120 for vehicles, 80 for Armor, nothing for the rest.

You LOOSE those points if they are not enough to buy anything in that category (say the min infantry additional unit you may get costs 81!!!) For one point you loose all 80

:mad:

Tough, sux big time but so is/does war.

Originally posted by Seahawk-vfa201:

USING THE EDITOR

1) launch the Editor from main CMBB panel

2) select Load -- This allows you to select from the MapPack

3) select Unit Editor -- This allows to purchase your Battle Group and attached units. In this panel you may then select one purchased unit and click on 'Edit' to change parameters such as experience, ammo, name, ...

4) when done, remember to Save on main Editor panel the map with the purchased units

5) launch QB as per battle parameters and Load Map (the one saved in the Editor) instead of letting QB generate one

6) purchase the Task Force Units

7) fight battle

Thanxs Cmndr - That looks easy enough smile.gif

BTW - the sites are not mine - I've send you an e-mail explaining how things work. ;)

And thanxs for taking over Biltaid - a lot of guys need/use it smile.gif

Biltong

Originally posted by Biltong:

thanxs for taking over Biltaid - a lot of guys need/use it smile.gif

Biltong

My pleasure: I am using it too :D

Last news: In a frantic Saturday progtamming fever I updated the whole BiltAid. It is now (unless blunders and unintended omissions) FULLY Biltong Rules v2.2 with missing parts like player experience modifiers, and TBD (To Be Developed) left by Peterk.

There is a bug lurking in the dark concenring the modifier for Task Force Support (essentially Note 7). Working on that.

I believe I understood how to allow additional years as well but that will take time especially if South '42 rules do change a lot wrt '41.

As soon as I find the bugger and smash it I will do the tests that currently do not work and then release it.

[ April 12, 2003, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Seahawk-vfa201 ]