Biltong's Campaign Rules

Originally posted by Cpt Kernow:

one simple simple qyestion.

I use biltaid.

The axis task force has a casualties tab. I cant see the purpose of this. I am cataloguing my casualties using the battle group fields, if I have to counter attack immediately and have casualties and have not been reinforced then I move the appropraite platoons of the map (as instructed.) If I set up the battle with axis casualties set say to 20% this is going to impact my main battle group, not just the task force. How can I seperate the casualties in my task force from casualties in my main group using the battle generator (could see how using the scenario editor but still only using ver1.2)

Cheers.

Kernow.

This is one main reason I do use the Editor. Casualties can then be treated differently for Task Force and Battle Group.

Patch 1.03 solves the ammo bug so I guess we are in for a general and common use of the Editor to deal with the Battle Group.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by eif:

S'all good in the hood! Found a jar file in my mail this sunny morn and got the new version up and runing, (thanks massimo) smile.gif

Welcome ;)

What I did not get yet is whether you tried to unstuff it and get to the jar file yourself or whether you were trying to run it from the sit file directly. The sit archive was just a way to send both the release notes and the executable in one format that is usually robust enough no to be corrupetd in the email transmission.

Anyway kamarade, glad you got the jar file OK and you are now campaigning in Russia.

[ April 23, 2003, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Seahawk-vfa201 ]

Seahawk,

The problem is that you would be at an automatic HUGE disadvantage right off the bat if you don't get to use the points. I had 1,000 pts for air; if i don't get to use them and the enemy is getting the advantage of those pts, you would be seriously outgunned. Granted, using the modifiers (for this battle it was AX Assault)greatly reduces the points the enemy will actually receive of that 1,000 pts.

Maybe a solution, since you are allowed to spend half of those air pts on arty anyway, is to just say if you cant buy air units, you may use half the points allotted for air for buying arty.

Originally posted by OBJ:

Leader traits - I've tried a system of leadership trait 'potential' tied to unit experience points.

At the beginning of the campaign, or when coming in as a replacement, leader units roll for leader trait 'potential.' In each of the four traits at each of the two levels, leader units are assigned either 'no bonus possible' or a 'bonus award threshold' in terms of unit experience. In the case of leaders with a real talent in any trait, the bonus award threshold may be less than the starting experience, therefore awarded for the first battle. This system pre-supposes that individual leaders have strengths in different traits that emerge over time with experience. I’ve developed a formula based on unit experience potential, see below. So far bonus award thresholds have ranged from 10 to 39 unit experience points. Results have also included no bonus at one or both levels.

I'm convinced I need to award 'leader trait bonus award points’ faster than unit experience points, but don't even have a formula worked out yet for a trial.

Unit experience and experience levels - I'm trying a system in which each unit at the beginning of the campaign, or upon entering as a replacement, rolls for it's experience potential, veteran, crack, or elite. In this experiment, units have a 60% chance of topping out as veterans, 30% as crack and 10% as elite. Using this system I've left the threshold for veteran at 25, but set crack to 45 and elite to 60 on the theory that the men in the squad representing this potential will realize it after 20-30 battles. This system prevents the entire unit from becoming elite over time and reflects variations in the quality of the 'drivers' in each squad.

I also roll at the beginning of the campaign or when a unit enters as a replacement for unit starting experience, which I set at anything between 10 and 20. This allows again for variation in individual units reflecting the effectiveness of each squad.

Integrating replacements - I recall there was a lot of debate over this in the BCR group, one of the concerns being people throwing away squads with low experience hoping to roll for veterans. It’s also my impression the German Army did a very good job of integrating combat replacements. Through out the war units were routinely withdrawn to allow the cadre of veterans to train the replacements before going back into the line. Even without this very successful practice of integrating replacements, the veterans naturally have a lot more affect on a squad’s performance that replacements do.

For these reasons I'm currently experimenting with two items combined.

First, based on the BCR replacement quality probabilities, I've set a fixed replacement ‘bonus’ for each month; Jun-Aug replacement bonus = 0, Sep-Oct= 3 , Nov-Dec = 1.

Second, I’ve tinkered with the ‘experience after replacements’ formula.

For casualties < 30%, after replacements experience= after battle experience,

Casualties >30%, < 50%, after replacement experience =.85*after battle experience+ replacement experience bonus

Casualties >50% < 60% =.75*after battle experience+2*replacement experience bonus

Casualties >60% < 80% =.65*after battle experience+3*replacement experience bonus

Casualties > 80% < 90% =.60*after battle experience+4*replacement experience bonus

If the unit’s wiped out, new unit experience = .5*after battle experience+5*replacement experience bonus. No company commander worth anything is going to allow a whole squad of replacements to go into battle without giving them at least one or two seasoned veterans to lead them.

This system of integrating replacements is something I just recently worked up and has not been thoroughly play-tested at all.

Hope these ideas give the BCR crew something to chew on.

Thanks for all the great work you and the crew have done. Hope to see a campaign in the engine re-write. Until then, it's BCR all the way.

Ahh - Some excellent ideas here - type of rules that I would like to play myself. Might be too detailed for most guys though.

They all go on the list... Definitely a lot to chew on. Once you have them more refined and set, do me a favour and post here or mail me. Definitely something here.

I esp like the Leadership & Experience Potential.

Did you modify the Battle Group sheet to cater for this or are you using a seperate sheet?

Originally posted by Cpt Kernow:

one simple simple qyestion.

I use biltaid.

The axis task force has a casualties tab. I cant see the purpose of this. I am cataloguing my casualties using the battle group fields, if I have to counter attack immediately and have casualties and have not been reinforced then I move the appropraite platoons of the map (as instructed.) If I set up the battle with axis casualties set say to 20% this is going to impact my main battle group, not just the task force. How can I seperate the casualties in my task force from casualties in my main group using the battle generator (could see how using the scenario editor but still only using ver1.2)

Cheers.

Kernow.

The casualties parameter has nothing to do with battle casualties.

This parameter is mostly dictated by weather: Snowed in/vehicles stuck in mud/lost units/frostbite victims etc.

And the time of the year:

Which historical factors were at play, such as a Soviet couter offensive resulting in low supplies of petrol/disorganization etc.

See the 1st line in 23 (Axis) Casualties: "These are mostly casualties of mud & cold."

So don't try and negate them, unless you want an easy game ;)

You cannot 'cut out' the Casualties parameter using the SE... The only way is simply to not set it.

Originally posted by Seahawk-vfa201:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Biltong:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Seahawk-vfa201:

...There is no check in the rules (or BiltAid) for weather for Air support.

That's the problem with a ton of small print :rolleyes: </font>

Biltong-

I'm using excel and so modified the BG tab to calculate after replacements experience applying my formula.

I've added a tab to calculate and record unit potential and starting experience, and leadership trait potential.

I've added another tab to track unit/leader progress toward and crossing of experience/trait award thresholds.

I use the editor before each battle to set individual leader traits and unit experience.

Part of the reason I changed the replacement system was my armor gaining experience two or three times as fast as my infantry. My infantry keeps taking casualties and has few opportunities to knock out enemy vehicles or pillboxes. On the other hand my armor takes few casualties and has more opportunities to take out enemy vehicles, armor, and pillboxes. My impression is the casualties suffered are historically accurate but the lagging infantry experience is not. As I mentioned in the previous post, it's my thought the old system understates the effect squad/ team/ crew veterans have on unit performance.

I download Bilaid Ver 103 and Ver 104.

I have ver 1.00 I just don't known how

to start or run the new versions?

No sure what Java I have? It runs Ver 1.0

ok only print battle never did work?

I have run 14 battles on ver 1 guess I am stuck

with Ver 1.0 I have Win 98 SE

Its been so long I have run any Dos commands

or shell I have forgot how to do it ;)

Guess I am stuck with ver 1.0

You don't known how many times I Quit BCR

then pick it up and try to learn it.