Help me enjoy CMBB more! Newb here...

I've been a HUGE fan of the CloseCombat series for a long time. I instantly liked CMBB once I started playing... so I bought the retail Special Edition yesterday. My initial complaints are as follows. Maybe there is a mod out there for me or maybe I'm playing the wrong game. HELP!

What I don't like about the game is this:

1) There seems to be very little context behind the battles. What I mean by this is that in CloseCombat, during a campaign, you would fight a battle and the results would carry over to your next battle. If you lost tanks, or special units, they were GONE. Or if you did particularly well and destroyed the enemy on one map, the results affected the next battle (with a better resupply line for instance or maybe if you pushed through the defense and secured a landing zone, you would get airbourne troops the next map). I played around with 1 campaign last night and it seemed like all the focus on the game is in the actual fighting map to map with nothing linking the action together. Am I missing something here? I know that the troops don't increase in experience which is fine but I'm lookin for some sort of storyline/campaign that is affected by the results I achieve. Maybe this is already in the game and I just haven't gotten that far yet or maybe there is a mod.

2) Is there a single player game mode or campaign where I get to CHOOSE the type and number of troops that I deploy? Again, from the little I've played the PC gives a standard alotment of troops...

Thanks for the help!

Basically there is NO campaign system in CM along the lines you are used to.

The closest that you get is "Operations" which are a series of linked battles up to a (presumed) day apart.

The philosophy is that the nature of the games and the focus on "realism" preclude teh classic type of campaign a la CC, Panzer-General, Steel Panthers et al, and personally I agree with it.

You can play a quick-battle against the AI where you choose and position your own troops. the AI does a fairly ordinary job attacking tho', so it tends to pale after a while when you get mor eexperienced - that's when human oppnents become more fun! smile.gif

Welcome - and enjoy!

CM does not have a campaign layer, but it does have operations which link several days' fighting. There have been many debates over whether CM should include a campaign, but so far BFC is not interested in adding that aspect.

You can play a Quick Battle where you get to choose all the parameters for the game, including the forces.

Well that stinks. I just did some reviewing of screenshots of CloseCombat V and remember how much I like that game! I'm gonna buy a copy from Ebay... : )

So there is no STRATEGIC DEPLOYMENT or Strategy map type of a thing like CCV, huh? Oh well. The battle sequences are pretty cool in CMBB.

Last question, what zoom level do most people play in? I find that I spend MOST of my time in the bird's eye view ala CCV.

I usually play at 3 or 4 with no zoom. I only ever use birds eye to hide everythign at het start of a game, or to micro-manage something (movement, placement of fire, line of sight)

Originally posted by JesusFreak:

2) Is there a single player game mode or campaign where I get to CHOOSE the type and number of troops that I deploy? Again, from the little I've played the PC gives a standard alotment of troops...

Thanks for the help!

No, because this is unrealistic. It would be the dream of every company commander to walk into supply and order 4 King Tigers like ordering a few Big Macs and some Panzer Grenadiers as extra fries.

There are however some user-created compaign rules posted on the forum that allow for you do lead one unit through the war by the use of quick battles. Do a search for campaign rules, I believe Biltong has a set out.

There are also user created multiplayer campaigns that bring several players together on a team and have them fight battles as part of a larger campaign. CMMC2 and the Onion Wars come to mind.

The problem with projecting campaigns onto CM's scale is a scenario, more often than not, is a mere pin-prick compared to the grand strategic movements in WWII. Whether or not you win that battle for that particular hamlet bears no relation to whether the Russian front rolls forward and backward. Like real combat, its just about whether you and your comrades survive the next half hour in hell. (I'm reminded of those Vietnam -and maybe Iraq- battles where troops would battle fiercely for a particular stretch of rice paddy or a village, and win-or-lose they'd pull out at the end of the day only to come back tomorrow to do it all over again).

CM seems to be most satisfying to those who already have a fair amount of WWII history in their heads. They already have a 'campaign'-like context to work off of: When they see the date "April 1942, Southern Front" the context is the REAL progress of the REAL war! I've got to admit, if I had been dropped into the middle of CMBB not knowing the difference between 'Leningrad 1941' and 'Berlin 1945' a LOT of CMBB's subtlety would've been lost on me.

[ November 12, 2003, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

yeah, thats true. I know NOTHING of history (embrassing but true). That is probably why my enjoyment level is less.

Several people have brought up "realism" as the reason for no campaign strategy mode. I don't think its an issue of realism. I mean, SOMEBODY decides what troops are sent where... In CC5 they gave you the role of on-field battle commander AND gave you the option to decide what forces go where and when and where to attack. Oh well, CMBB isn't CC5 and vice-versa. Pro's and Con's.

Originally posted by JesusFreak:

In CC5 they gave you the role of on-field battle commander AND gave you the option to decide what forces go where and when and where to attack. Oh well, CMBB isn't CC5 and vice-versa. Pro's and Con's.

Yep, in CC5 the entire execution of Operation Overlord was entrusted into the competent hands of you, the fearless company commander :D

1) There seems to be very little context behind the battles. What I mean by this is that in CloseCombat, during a campaign, you would fight a battle and the results would carry over to your next battle. If you lost tanks, or special units, they were GONE. Or if you did particularly well and destroyed the enemy on one map, the results affected the next battle (with a better resupply line for instance or maybe if you pushed through the defense and secured a landing zone, you would get airbourne troops the next map). I played around with 1 campaign last night and it seemed like all the focus on the game is in the actual fighting map to map with nothing linking the action together. Am I missing something here? I know that the troops don't increase in experience which is fine but I'm lookin for some sort of storyline/campaign that is affected by the results I achieve. Maybe this is already in the game and I just haven't gotten that far yet or maybe there is a mod.

I remember reading something in the manual about troops not gaining experience because you don't get that much experience after say 30 min of combat, like the typical CMBB battle.

I've played CC3 quite a lot and I must say that CMBB does lack some sort of red line to guide you through, although it makes up for a lot of other stuff. What i really miss is the rich scenery of CC, in CMBB the surroundings just aren't that varied, but that's just me whining ;) .

Maybe they should include some sort of history book with the game, CC3 had one sort of, very superficial though.

Maybe maps and pictures could be included in the briefing if that would enhance the total immersion in the game??

My two eurocents.

Originally posted by Folbec:

The main trouble with campaign is that, given the usuall loss rate of a CMBB scenario, there is not much left to go on...

The oniobns campaign varies alot.

I cant go into deatail, as there might be some of the vile Pink-0 fishies out there spying on what I say.

Some battles are a total loss of forces, and some battles end up being just very light skirmishes. Depends upon operational objectives of both sides and how it plays out on the CM level.

thanks for the replies... the 3rd party campaign rule systems are much too envolved for me. I've got too much RealLife and can't put that many hours or brain cells into my video game time, ya know?

I will continue to enjoy CMBB for what it is and wait for my CC5 in the mail that i just bought off EBAY to arrive. Then I'll have the best of both worlds. : )

Since I bought CMBO last year, I don't think that I'll ever go back to the CC series (guess I've been spoiled by the 3-D approach). My only beef with the CM series is with the lack of winter vehicles & uniforms in the "boxed" games ( unless you bought the Special Editions ). Some of the winter mod packs are huge & can take all night to get when you've only got dial up.