Tanks firing through buildings, bug or intentional?

I've just began playing CMBB. In my first 4 games, I've had two tanks KO'd that were behind buildings and out of LOS of their destroyer. I am just wondering if this is intentional to simulate some god-like intervention where my tank just "happened" to be perfectly aligned through a series of windows? Or it this some sort of bug? The pic below is one of the two. Note, the building is two story. The tanks are set to actual size. Their position is exactly as it was when the KV destoryed the Pz-III. Love to hear from some of the designers and experienced folks.

bullcrap.jpg

Yes that is intentional.

Besides windows you also have to take into account that some of the buildings are damaged and can have big holes in the walls.

I also like this because it partly makes good for the "point-like" nature of CM vehicles. In real life there were plenty of situations where a tank would drive partly out of cover, accidentially, without getting the turret out. It would sit with its nose (transmission, driver) visible and could be shot into that spot without even knowing what's up. I think the firing through buildings simulates that.

Beware that AFVs sometimes try to fire through buildings but end up hitting the building right in front of them. Vehicles like Wespes are likely to knock themself out this way.

This stuff happens to me all the time, very often, and my tank game still hasn't recovered to the level of finesse and tactical skill (*grin*) it had during CM:BO.

Many of my tanks seem to die when I "think" they are in cover, behind woods, buildings, you name it, unable to target the enemy but still visible to the shooter.

Originally posted by redwolf:

Besides windows you also have to take into account that some of the buildings are damaged and can have big holes in the walls.

Yes, remember the encounter between Wittman and 79th Armoured Division at Villers-Bocage in June 1944... Some veterans who fought that day said that Tigers fired trough houses and holes in walls...

I must admit I jumped when I saw your screenshot. I was expecting the KV to be shooting through the corner of the building (as often happens), not practically through the middle! I'd say you got burned.

Well, I suppose the front edge of the KV and front edge of the Panzer are almost within clear LOS, though the turrets certainly aren't. Maybe the little commander saw the other tank's shadow peeking from behind the building. I guess that's what happens when you try to hide big tanks behind small buildings. :D

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I must admit I jumped when I saw your screenshot. I was expecting the KV to be shooting through the corner of the building (as often happens), not practically through the middle! I'd say you got burned.

Why do tanks so often shoot through the corners of the buildgins then? Never read an explanation (scale +4 models is not one since I use 0 or +1). Are the buildings some sort of abstractions of an "area that has a building or something and there is no way to tell when you are infact, in cover" too?

Hey Ligur, EVERYTHING in CMBB is some sort of abstraction! :D

You've noticed when vehicles collide the polygon is not an exact match for the abstracted vehicle underneath, and your abstracted 9 man squad on city pavement has about as much cover as in a wheat field because of the abstracted lamp posts and mail boxes to hide behind.

BFC says porous buildings are intentional. As a matter of fact your armor seems to have less cover behind a big factory than a small heavy building because the game factors in the rows of large windows lining most 1930s/40s factories.

[ June 25, 2003, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

No. However, the Panzer did not have LOS when it was KO'd. That was a movie phase however. I will also mentiont that BOTH tanks were buttoned.

But I would then assume that the building would have to be damaged, no? At least light damage to have a hole in the building. This building was not damaged, at least not to the point of showing light damage with that option turned on.

I think this "feature" is poorly designed, because it introduces randomness where there should not be any. You *can* let tanks shoot through buildings, but then it would only be fair enough to give some visual feedback on the existance of the holes. If the system cannot provide this, "surprises" like this should not happen, either.

Regards,

Thomm

I think that all this is a bug.

I can admit that a firer, immediately behind a building, can shoot at a far target.

However, the reverse isn't true.

I had a tank, immediately behind an undamaged factory, knocked down by a tank almost 100mts away. How can you imagine that the firing tank commander could see the target through two lined-up holes?