King Tigers

such sillyness. :rolleyes: of course the squirrels would be pteromys volans, not African anomaluridae which aren't proper squirrels in the first place. these noctural beasts, the pteromys volans, just luv to pack into groups & inhabitate holes of all kind - thus the ultimate killers of King Tigers.

russian_flying_squirrel.jpg

watch this beautiful beast fly thu the night - the terror, the havoc it will wreak. witness it in silent awe. what can one say. it's "top penetration" "knocked out", man.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Sergei:

Am I twisting the knife to the right direction, Bone_Vulture? :D

:(:(

Originally posted by Impudent Warwick:

Hey Boney, what was the one "good line heard so far"?

'Twas made by Silvio Manuel, a reference to the movie JFK. Morbid, but very witty, as I originally stated. Quoted below:

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

magic AT gun round

The Ferdinand crew was rocked - back, and to the left... again on the replay... back, and to the left... </font>

if you know someone will buy King Tigers, then i guess you can go gamey as well.

buy some infatry, a couple of cheap tanks & good airsupport. let airsupport deal with King Tigers, then take the flags with infatry.

or buy 82mm FOs, pioneers & vehicles to carry them. smoke the KT & rush it with your pioneers. if it reverses off the hill, just wait with your pioneers for its return.

37mm PAKs might work as well. it's easy to move them, it's hard to spot them, and stielgrenade will penetrate King Tiger just fine. accuracy isn't a problem either, as that King Tiger is most likely not moving. though you need to get pretty close.

Originally posted by undead reindeer cavalry:

37mm PAKs might work as well. it's easy to move them, it's hard to spot them, and stielgrenade will penetrate King Tiger just fine. accuracy isn't a problem either, as that King Tiger is most likely not moving. though you need to get pretty close.

Also, a Jagdtiger is very effective against them...

While on the (off-)topic of flying rodents, i believe there was a project called Project X, where frozen bats (not ice-cold, but cold till they sleep) fitted with ignition caps were dropped from B-29s and other high-altitude bombers. As they went down, they thawed. The plan was to have them roost in Japanese buildings, and the caps would go off, and set fires. The project didn't work as anticipated, though, and it was canceled.

Now, killing Tiger IIs: yeah, they're tough. One time i tried to do an attack over a ridge against some Panthers and some Tiger IIs with like a company of Su-152s, and most of them died. It sucked.

Of all the battles with all the armor combinations I've played over all this time, I've never before now thought to pit KTs vs captured Panthers! I wonder how that gun would do at drilling tthrough a KT turret side. Better than a Russian 85mm I bet.

As to gun-plugging squirrels, remember the Russian dog mine project was cancelled because the Russian dogs preferred to run under the Russian tanks that they had been trained on, as opposed to German tanks. So imagine what mayhem might occur when Allied hole-plugging squirrels are set loose! The mind boggles.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

As to gun-plugging squirrels, remember the Russian dog mine project was cancelled because the Russian dogs preferred to run under the Russian tanks that they had been trained on, as opposed to German tanks. So imagine what mayhem might occur when Allied hole-plugging squirrels are set loose! The mind boggles.

That's why they used a squirrel with an 89mm nut in the first place! The squirrel was just the right size to fit into an 88mm gun yet too big for a 76mm gun, and the nut (aka. "gun nut") obviously wouldn't get stuck in a 122mm gun. Gee MikeyD, you should do some research before posting! :rolleyes:

The gun nut squirrels only became obsolete as the Germans learned to cover their tanks with a peanut paste called as "Zimmenut" which was enough to distract the squirrels from the gun.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by undead reindeer cavalry:

Also, a Jagdtiger is very effective against them... </font>

Dropping a 1100Ib bomb on them seems to be quite effective, but in the first days of the Ardennes, when it was snowy as hell, I'm not sure.

They don't really like bad weather, so if one were immobilized with no hope of recovery, then you'd have to blow it up to stop it falling into enemy hands.

Couldn't have been squirrels anyways- they hibernate during winter.

Originally posted by Big Jim:

You may have hibernated during school biology lessons. tongue.gif If squirrels hibernate, then why do they collect seeds and nuts all the summer into hidey holes? Or why change the colour of fur? So yes, clearly it must have been squirrels that stopped the Ardennes offensive. Another proof of this is that Ardennes is a forested area, and squirrels are abundant in forests.

I stand corrected: according to Dr. Peg Halloran's handy 'Squirrel Almanac' at http://spot.colorado.edu/~halloran/sqrl.html ,

"As a general rule, tree squirrels do not hibernate over winter, instead they cache food in the fall for use over winter. You may not see them as often because they do reduce their activity do to the cold and shorter days.

Ground squirrels on the other hand do not cache food, but hibernate over winter.

The one exception to this rule is the Abert squirrel, a tree squirrel who does not cache food or hibernate over winter - instead they eat inner bark from the Ponderosa pine trees to sustain themselves."

So there you go. :D

No mention of KTs though...

"How did the yanks deal with them in the Ardennes?"

Didn't you see the movie? Yank tactics were to run screaming in the opposite direction, thereby running the German tank out of gas as it pursued. Crafty devils.

The vast majority of Ardennes KT picts are of abandoned vehicle that broke dow/ran out of fuel while on the march. By springtime '45 the Americans had takin to dropping napalm on 'em, asphyxiating the crew. or lobbing lots of 155mm at them.

[ May 20, 2004, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Is that a nut I see behind its tail? About.. 89mm if I guess correctly?

Battle of the Bulge was on TV the other day- they used M-60 Patton tanks or something instead of KTs, painted in a fetching shade of grey. Who says Hollywood doesn't get it right! (And the SPW 250 halftracks were M3s painted grey- a crime in my mind. They should have at least used a mod or something)

Ummm...ya know...there was a reason they decided to call it "King Tiger" rather than "Haemophiliac Knock-kneed Consumptive Prince Tiger" ;)

Originally posted by 6thAirborne:

What can the russians do about King Tigers? My last game saw 6 T-34/85s and 7 SU-100s turned into scrap metal by one of these monstrosities :eek: . I lost count of how many shells just bounced off it.

I realise that the chances of getting him increase with side and rear shots but it prooved impossible to get a flank shot.

A Soviet force of 3000pts was mashed by a german force of half the size (99% because of the King Tiger)

Suggestions are welcome

Cheers!

This should prove that also the Brits were keen on using small animals in warfare: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3732755.stm

British spy chiefs secretly considered training pigeons to fly into enemy targets carrying explosives or biological weapons, it has been revealed.

. . . . .

"A thousand pigeons each with a two ounce explosive capsule, landed at intervals on a specific target, might be a seriously inconvenient surprise," Mr Rayner wrote.

He believed his "revolutionary" ideas could change the way wars were fought, and had the tentative backing of wartime MI6 chief Sir Stewart Menzies.

I hope the nay-sayers will now see their folly!

But can the pigeon keep up with the pace of squirrel technology?

'Documents now released to the National Archives reveal that the War Office intelligence section, MI14, warned: "Pigeon research will not stand still; if we do not experiment, other powers will." '

Of course.. pigeons...

*scurrys back to secret laboratory, cackling madly*

i made some tests and it seems both aircraft & artillery are useless against King Tigers. you may get immobilizations or damaged guns, but usually you get nothing.

smoke & T-34/85 rush seems to suffer from a "peculiar" unwillingness of T-34 crews to shoot. often they wouldn't shoot or even target the King Tiger from a KO position. another shortcoming is the unability for the T-34s to target the hull when shooting from the side. shooting from 100 meters, something like half of the shots hit the turret front instead of the weak side hull. i know these things have to do with the CM engine & the range doesn't matter, but it's still pretty annoying (not that i would ever face things like King Tigers in the games i play).

same goes for infantry. a couple of times when infantry was trying to assault a KT that had lost its gun, the KT crews were tossing more grenades than a platoon of veteran/crack infantry, effectively pinning them down (they were under HQ control). crews tossing grenades like that seems absurd, especially if a grenade is supposed to simulate something like 5 grenades. i must be missing something here. yeah, and of course ordinary infantry used molotovs before using grenades :D

how much does the size of the target matter to the hit %? T-34s seemed to miss KT "awful lot" from 100 - 300 m distances. if they manage to miss KT from 200 meters, i can't see how they could ever hit a StuG.

*endless whine*

did King Tiger really have that fast turrent & rate of fire? impressive thing if it did.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikeyD:

That's why they used a squirrel with an 89mm nut in the first place! The squirrel was just the right size to fit into an 88mm gun yet too big for a 76mm gun, and the nut (aka. "gun nut") obviously wouldn't get stuck in a 122mm gun. Gee MikeyD, you should do some research before posting! :rolleyes:

The gun nut squirrels only became obsolete as the Germans learned to cover their tanks with a peanut paste called as "Zimmenut" which was enough to distract the squirrels from the gun. </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Big Jim:

You may have hibernated during school biology lessons. tongue.gif If squirrels hibernate, then why do they collect seeds and nuts all the summer into hidey holes? Or why change the colour of fur? So yes, clearly it must have been squirrels that stopped the Ardennes offensive. Another proof of this is that Ardennes is a forested area, and squirrels are abundant in forests. </font>