Peng, why hast thou forsaken my challenge?

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AJ , my Dad used to tell a story over and over, and I can remember it to this day.

He spent some time in Australia in 43-44 in between "Island Hopping" to Japan. He used to say that the Aussies he met were always warm and friendly to the young Marines from the USA. The people opened their homes to them and treated them as their own sons and husbands (most of the able bodied men were in North Africa or Burma). Well anyway he met a bunch of Australian Soldiers, maybe your wife's father was among them, and to this day I can hear my Dad in his best Australian accent...."They (the Aussies)

used to tell us all the time, you Yanks sure have all the firepower"

Just a little anecdote, from my life, but it goes to show that even though we are seperated by thousands of miles, we are closer than you think.

Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

So ... pick a head ... any head.

In no particular order...

Vadr

Boo (happy birthday btw)

Hortland

OGSF

Seanachai

Nidiot

Elvis

Joe

Nidiot

mcgivney

Egbert

Gaylord Focker

Boo (it'll be your last)

Dalem

Panzerleader

Nidiot

Bauhaus

Moriarty

Joe

Vadr

Tha' should keep ya busy

All these were honoured in their generations,

and were the glory of their times.

There be of them,

that have left a name behind them,

that their praises might be reported.

And some there be, which have no memorial;

who are perished, as though they had never been;

and are become as though they had never been born;

and their children after them.

But these were merciful men,

whose righteousness hath not been forgotten.

With their seed shall continually remain

a good inheritance,

and their children are within the covenant.

Their seed standeth fast,

and their children for their sakes.

Their seed shall remain for ever,

and their glory shall not be blotted out.

Their bodies are buried in peace;

but their name liveth for evermore.

Ecclesiasticus XLIV

Originally posted by Persephone:

Aussie Jeff, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Persephone

Perhaps it would cheer people up to know that sometimes OGSF leaves his webcam on during his Retro Mod parties ? Perhaps not?

(Oh, and dear Persephone, I have found a lovely site for you to play on and get more such lovely source material. Email me should you have the time.)

[ February 13, 2003, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: dalem ]

AUssieJeff, I think Seanachai said it best:

Originally posted by Seanachai:

AussieJeff, let me be the first to give a salute to your wife's old fellow. Tell him 'thanks', from someone who grew up laying cardboard pieces labeled 'Aus' on a map of North Africa, and trying to envision what their lot was like.

I'll keep your family, and especially your wife, in my prayers.

Steve

Originally posted by Firefly:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

This melodrama is making me sick. Glad I'm not diabetic, all the sugar would kill me.

[serious] It's people like you who make me ashamed to be human[/serious] </font>

You know, I didn't even like my grandfather. Seriously, he was a git, an ass, stuck-up, overbearing, cold, lacking in humor and decency. You know, me, but older and less svelte. Anyway, he managed to pull a crew out of a burning tank, stormed Normandy, probably killed some unlucky German folks, and ended up with a silver star and a purple heart with clusters.

He died about a year back, after the requisite stroke and decline and, well, what's the point? We're getting to the period when everyone who survived that war is losing another one, and whether religious or not, it makes for a rotten lesson on fate and frailty. We grow so indignant of Coventry-boy, but I can see the point of the indifference, hell, it's what makes sense. This sort of thing happens every day, seven people died in an avalanche the day before (after?) the Columbia exploded, so it becomes not a matter of mortality, but of proximity.

I'm not sure that I've got a point, in all likelihood there isn't a point.

And dammit, there are no archdukes left.

Originally posted by Elijah Meeks:

This sort of thing happens every day, seven people died in an avalanche the day before (after?) the Columbia exploded, so it becomes not a matter of mortality, but of proximity.

Maybe its a matter of moral relativism?

konrad

Faithfull Squire To SIR AUSSIEJEFF

....but I can see the point of the indifference,...

Indifference is probably the worst behavior a human being can display. Love and Hate are at least emotions, and require an object, which at least is some recognition. Indifference is the last resort of humans who have no hope, or of Borg looking to assimilate another race.

Originally posted by lenakonrad:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Elijah Meeks:

This sort of thing happens every day, seven people died in an avalanche the day before (after?) the Columbia exploded, so it becomes not a matter of mortality, but of proximity.

Maybe its a matter of moral relativism?

konrad

Faithfull Squire To SIR AUSSIEJEFF </font>

so it becomes not a matter of mortality, but of proximity.

And dammit, there are no archdukes left.

You have a point and don't know it.

Think about why there are no archdukes left.

Proximity is the difference.

We humans are blessed in not being able to feel the pain of every loss, but certainly feel the pain of personal loss, the closer it is, the more it hurts.

Those of us that are human, feel empathy for our friends when they have a loss. It is part of what binds us together.

My heartfelt thoughts and prayers to you and yours Jeff. Your father-in-law is one of those that adds more to others lives than we can really know.