several questions from a (relatively) new player

Number one: which is better? an AI opponent? or a real human? (should be obviously a human, but take into account time, availability, and lack of gloating that AI offers.)

Number two: What is PEBKAS?

Number Three: Assuming that a human opponent is a more entertaining enemy than the AI, should one jump right into anti-human play? or test the waters with some anti-ai games first?

Number four: Not really a question, just thanks to Battlefront for re-igniting my interest in computer wargames. I was so discouraged for a while, all I saw coming out were sh***y RTS games, and I don't consider command and conquer a wargame thank you very much. TacopsCav and the CM games have gotten me back into computer gaming in a big way.

Ok, that is about it, thank you, I am very impressed with the community as well, very impressive.

One more, what is Peng? Their posts seem to be mostly insults and not really a discussion. Just curious.

You will definitely want to play against human opponents, but the ai's schedule will always match yours, when you don't have time to pbem or tcp/ip.

PEBKAS refers to "problem exists between keyboard and seat", meaning the person in question may be intellectually challenged.

The various Peng challenges are a way for a fairly close-knit group of forum members to insult each other and challenge one another to pbem games.

Its the greatest game series, ...ever..., welcome.

1) Human by far, but do play vs AI on your own time. Taking on human opponents without learning a great deal about the game first might frustrate you. When you start winning the AI almost automatically you should be ready for a human oppo. At first playing AI is almost as fun, but you will get bored after some dozen games since the AI, well, does not think. It is mediocre at best on defence and utterly inept at offence.

2) You got the answer.

3) Hee.

4) Hello. BTS with CM:BO got me into back into serious wargaming as well, after Speel Panthers series nothing had sparked my interest and I was playing RPG's, strategy games like the Civilizations, First Person Shooters and whatnot.

1)

Human is the way to go, unless you're really rigid on your time schedule. With TCP/IP (and heading over to CMHQ chat), you can get a good couple of hours of constant, human-vs.-human play, and with PBEM, you can get the longer-term, epic kind of gaming in. IMHO, the AI really isn't worth wasting your time on, exept to pick up some initial skills. Extensive playing against the AI will leave you hurting when you go up against a person, as the AI has no imagination, reacts in a predictable manner, and sometimes does things that just make no sense. My favorite analogy for this is the first-person shooter -- it all seems ok while you play the single player version (against the AI), but as soon as you jump on a multiplayer server, you get your ass handed to you. You then pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and then learn the real game. Playing the AI is gamey -- you know what it's going to do. Playing a person always has that random factor that makes the game interesting.

2)Already answered

3)Personally, after you get some feel for what it's like, I would jump right into TCP/IP play, so that you can get a feel for how the game is really played. The AI just gets too easy to beat (though scenarios against the AI are fun and challenging for those that enjoy puzzles), and winning over a human is what really makes online war gaming fun. I wouldn't worry about taunting -- this isn't a counterstrike crowd. Every player I've gone up against in the past 3 years has been polite and gracious in both victory and defeat.

4) Yes, this game got me back into war gaming after a long hiatus of playing first person shooters. Now all I play is CMBB, Shogun Total War (great game), and my PS2.

When you want a PBEM game, feel free to write me -- tolerancm@yahoo.com

Wow, thanks for the replies. That is what I meant when I said the CM community was impressive. I am trying the adaptation of the old SL scenario, capture of Balta against the AI, after that, I would love to try a PBEM or TCP game with either or both of you. Thanks again.

First, welcome aboard NG, I know you'll love this game. I've not bought another game since buying CMBO and that is over 3 years ago, well until about 3 weeks ago when I bought this one. And yes the forum is pretty cool and a lot of really nice and at times funny as all get out guys. Looks like your questions were already answered so just wanted to say Hi to you and welcome you to the game and this forum. See you around. If you are married please tell your wife for me - Sorry. ;)

Another newbie question, but cannot find it in searches: personally, I find the engine much improved from CMBO, so will it ever be possible to have west-front units in the CMBB engine? French/Brit/American late war equipment. (I mean before CMAK comes out (on my "buy it no matter what list anyway)?)

Thanks!

Ok. This will be a first for me too.

I'm thinking a TCP/IP game would be fun tonight, I've got the rest of the week off and cold brew in the fridge. I might go see Terminator 3 tonight, but that'd be about the only thing that would interfer :D . A PBEM is doable too.

My e-mail is bonehoard@yahoo.com. tongue.gif

More about my skill level...I'm not a hardcore grog so I don't know the in's and outs of all the equipment. I'm not one of those guys that has the perfect fighting combo down. For that reason I like to play *gasp* random forces sometimes but whatever is fine with me, I'm sure it will be fun.

Like Hunter Thompson said "No, learn to enjoy losing."