AP any use against infantry?

I’m playing Into the Void (German attacker) and I’ve got some tanks that have used all their HE ammo. I am thinking about moving them up to use against some Russian infantry in a foxhole.

My question is, given the tanks have only got AP and T ammo, without even any machine gun ammo, am I completely wasting my time thinking of doing this?

I am hoping that the Russian infantry will be suppressed, at least keep their heads down while I advance other forces. I assume they would know it’s not HE because of the lack of boom, but would AP be helpful in putting the willies up them, maybe even breaking them?

I have loads of tanks with HE ammo left, but I want them to save their ammo for a later phase.

Also, one other question; I’ve set the hill on fire. How quickly will this spread and does this mean all the dug-in Russian troops will run away?

Cheers

Ed

I think the best result you can get by using AP against infantry is to force them take cover not for a long time or maybe even to make them shaken, but it mostly depends from their experience level:

If they are conscript or green use your AP , if they are regular or better you can try to spot their HQ and concentrate your fire.

OZ77, the trouble is I have no idea how green they are, as I haven't properly spotted them. I've just got the "Infanty?" thing.

In fact, the only enemy I have properly identified are the ones I've captured (surrendered to a crew from a knocked out tank!).

Cheers

Ed

1).Try to get closer (100m)

2).Concentrate fire at least 2 tanks on one "infantry?"

3). At the time of firing advance your infantry.

Just tested it and it was successfully even against regular infantry

2 Marders(only AP)from 100m against regular squad with 1 morale HQ:

1 killed, pinned after 60 seconds

2 Marders(only AP)from 100m against green squad with 1 morale HQ:

1 killed, panic after 60 seconds

I was wondering what would happen to buildings if fired on by AP.

I was attacking the Collective farm in this scenario, and I targeted a light building with AP only, but because I'm stupid I forgot all about watching what happened and shifted fire onto a infantry squad running away - machine gun only.

All I know is the light building is still there. I have no idea whether I caused it any damage.

When I come to attack the buildings by the ford, if I remember I will try to target a building with an tank that has only got AP left, provided of course that no Soviet tanks appear. At present rate of play this should be in the year 2027!

Damned reallife.

Cheers

Ed

CM will not execute area fire with AP, although you can fire directly onto a unit.

In CMBO AP was pretty effective against infantry in heavy buildings (althought he building itself would not be brought down).

Someone should check whether the latter is still true for CMBB.

So if there is no unit in the light building, I won't be able to use AP on the building? Didn't know that.

Like I say, last time I forget I had tried to target it and didn't watch what happened.

Too busy watching an invincible Russki squad firing at my recon platoon.

Thanks for the warning.

Cheers

Ed

Redwolf, dont quote me on this, but it seems that AP ammo on heavy buildings has been toned down from our CMBO days. I have never tested it, but from having my tanks fire AP ammo {when out of HE} at units in heavy buildings I can see little effect out of them taking cover for a few seconds at most. But that may just be from my own perception.

As to what to do with tanks once they are out of HE ammo and there are no tanks left, get them out of sight and leave them there until a OPFOR tank/AC shows up. There are too many points tied up with tanks, dont risk losing them to an unseen AT gun/mine when all they are going to do is shoot AP ammo. If you are really really desperate, they might do something, but its better to keep those points protected. Remember that loosing one tank is usually the same as loosing an entire platoon, points wise.

Chad

Originally posted by Eddy:

So if there is no unit in the light building, I won't be able to use AP on the building? Didn't know that.

It also has to be currently spotted. The missing unit marker doesn't count.

As for empty tanks, if they are actual tanks they probably have a lot of MG ammo left. The good-optics parts are also useful for long-range spotting. Or transport for non-watercooled HMGs.

Tanks, empty or not, also have huge morale effects when between an enemy unit and their friendly map edge. Of course, enemy units also have grenade bundles, so take your pick smile.gif

The tanks in question have very little mg ammo left, but I will take your advice and keep themn back in case any enemy armour turns up later. Thinking about it, it does seem a bit of a waste using AP against dug-in infantry unless you absolutley must.

Thanks for your help/advice

Cheers

Ed

• 5 weeks later...

Is AP rounds effect against intantry in CMBB affected by the presence (or absence) of the HE filler and by its size? I presume that a solid AP shot should be times less effective than an AP round with filler that, in turn sould be marginally less effective than an AP round with a large HE filler. (All other things bein equal, of course).

Originally posted by Amedeo:

Is AP rounds effect against intantry in CMBB affected by the presence (or absence) of the HE filler and by its size? I presume that a solid AP shot should be times less effective than an AP round with filler that, in turn sould be marginally less effective than an AP round with a large HE filler. (All other things bein equal, of course).

Do AP shells have their own blast rating? I managed to put an 82mm (blast 26 as much as a 57mm HE) mortar shell into a marder, and only got it to button up.

Originally posted by White Phosphorus:

[QBDo AP shells have their own blast rating? I managed to put an 82mm (blast 26 as much as a 57mm HE) mortar shell into a marder, and only got it to button up. [/QB]

IIRC, they have a nominal blast rating of 1. Most bursting AP rounds had a delay fuse (or base fuse) to give the shell time to penetrate. When fired into a soft target (like mud), this delay would usually mean the round has buried itself too deeply in the ground to provide a useful blast. Of course, solid shot is even worse. Basically, you'd have to hit someone (or hit something that sprays splinters around) to do anything besides get their attention.

Originally posted by IntelWeenie:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by White Phosphorus:

[QBDo AP shells have their own blast rating? I managed to put an 82mm (blast 26 as much as a 57mm HE) mortar shell into a marder, and only got it to button up.

IIRC, they have a nominal blast rating of 1. Most bursting AP rounds had a delay fuse (or base fuse) to give the shell time to penetrate. When fired into a soft target (like mud), this delay would usually mean the round has buried itself too deeply in the ground to provide a useful blast. Of course, solid shot is even worse. Basically, you'd have to hit someone (or hit something that sprays splinters around) to do anything besides get their attention. [/QB]</font>

Originally posted by IntelWeenie:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by White Phosphorus:

[QBDo AP shells have their own blast rating? I managed to put an 82mm (blast 26 as much as a 57mm HE) mortar shell into a marder, and only got it to button up.

IIRC, they have a nominal blast rating of 1. Most bursting AP rounds had a delay fuse (or base fuse) to give the shell time to penetrate. When fired into a soft target (like mud), this delay would usually mean the round has buried itself too deeply in the ground to provide a useful blast. Of course, solid shot is even worse. Basically, you'd have to hit someone (or hit something that sprays splinters around) to do anything besides get their attention. [/QB]</font>