New Interview

Originally posted by Sergei:

"Since CMAK is going to be the last Combat Mission title, we felt that, like every good trilogy, it had to end with a bang."

Huh??? :eek: redface.gif :confused:

I suppose this means that CMX2 games are going to go under a different title. Strange that is.

No need to be shocked, if you read the whole paragraph:

MB: CMAK will be the last CM title as people know it. After that, we will introduce our entirely new engine, and what we will do with that (which times, periods and theaters we will visit) is pretty much open currently. The new engine (working title CMX2) will be a lot more flexible in handling different theaters and time periods than the current one, so we're not excluding anything at this stage.

I wonder if this thread got more attention with a title like "Moon reveals everything and more about CMAK".

It sounds real good... 8 metre contours, and all.

We felt that after doing the Western and Eastern Fronts, choosing North Africa, Italy (all of it, not only Sicily) and Crete offers the most variety to Combat Mission fans. Those theaters allow armchair generals to fight all the way from the hot and dusty deserts in some early war campaigns to the rocky and mountainous terrain of southern and northern Italy during the mid and late war years. Combat Mission: Afrika Korps is going to be the "biggest" game of the three Combat Mission titles in this way, allowing players to take command of the most nations (nine - US, British, Australian, Canadian, French, New Zealand, South African, Polish, German, and Italian), fight on the biggest variety of terrain with a huge choice (more than 500) of vehicles, guns and other equipment. Since CMAK is going to be the last Combat Mission title, we felt that, like every good trilogy, it had to end with a bang. The Mediterranean Theater does that with its mobile armored thrusts in Africa, the breaching of the famous fortified Gothic or Gustay lines in Italy by US and other allied troops, and the German airborne operations on Crete. And with some creativity people will be able to adapt the game to encompass even other theaters - from France to the Pacific. The main elements for that are all in CMAK. In a way, you get three or four games in one.

Because a lot of you are unaware that there were actually four interviews conducted for this piece and that Steve, Charles, and MadMatt were also interviewed I thought you might be interested in seeing theirs.

Interview One-Steve

Interviewer: Tell me, what does BFC stand for?

Steve: It's a concept that I came up with while working on Civil War Generals 2, which, by the way, is still the best Civil War tactical game on the market. When I think of all the accolades that Mr. Meier got for his rts games Antietam & Gettysburg, it truly apalls me. I mean if someone wants real time action let them go outside their house and experience it. We focused on those that preferred to waste huge hours of their lives sitting in front of computers. I mean seriously, what is so challenging about real time? When I want real time action like say Miami Vice or something, I just go out and fire up the ol weasel and race through the forest screaming to the top of my lungs. You want real time, I got your real time. Hey Sid, yeah you, sure you got the money, sure you got the glory, but do you have a weasel? Well do ya? Hah! That's what I thought.

Interviewer: Well thank you, but we're out of time now.

--------------------------------------------------

Next up was Charles

Interviewer: Well now, I understand that you're the brains behind BFC.

Charles

Interviewer: Right.... now, how much time was spent developing the code for the Combat Mission games?

Charles

Interviewer: Okay...thanks very much

--------------------------------------------------

Interview with MaddMatt

Interviewer: Well you must be excited representing the good folks at BFC

MadMatt: Big Freakin Whoop

Interviewer: You have developed quite the loyal community around your Combat Mission games.

MadMatt You know what, they're all a bunch of losers.

Interviewer: Well thanks for dropping by, any final thoughts?

MadMatt: See ya.

-------------------------------------------------

As an accountant myself, I can clearly applaud the final decision to use Moon's interview to go to press with.

We are eventually going to revisit the Western and Eastern Fronts after finishing the new engine we're currently working on as well. Expected timeframe: a couple of years I would guess.

YAY! I am really excited to hear this. I haven't expressed my disagreement with the folks requesting that BFC make the next game about Korea or the Cold War -- but I have absolutely no interest in those periods. I got sucked in by the best damn WWII game around, and I'm thrilled to hear that the new engine will (among its products) continue to support that era.

Great, great news.