Panzer Grenadiers

From playing games such as MOH:AA and watching films such as saving private ryan i been brought to the conclusion that the Panzer Grenadiers wore camo uniforms and not the grey one in game or even the ones the SS untis ware.

Now is it these were only worn on the western front or is the uniforms were just not put in game?

Which type of uniform or camo smock was used depends on not only on the unit type, but also on the year and general availability of the uniform/camo in question. They were more common with the Waffen-SS (as they usually got the best equipment first), but later other formations also received them, if not all. There were also plenty of different smock types and patterns used, so there's no definitive pattern/smock for a given unit type for the whole duration of the war. Also, panzergrenadiers can be either Waffen-SS or regular army, it's just a unit type designation.

That said, the mod sites have uniform mods that have camo patterns, which don't all have the SS runes or other distinctive features on them.

[ April 22, 2003, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Engel ]

There were so many different variations of uniforms and camo types in the Heer and Waffen SS it would make your head spin. They can only do so much in the game. It appears as though the game determines uniform type by the time period selected. They probably selected the most prevalant uniform from that year/month. Many good uniform mods out there!

i feel like such a dumarse now. You mensioned year/month, well iam in late 43 so i checked each month till i found them. There middle 44.

:( i feel so stupid now, should have checked first. :(

anyways what the mod site called so i can have a look round?

[ April 22, 2003, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Jack Ryan ]

Jack - Yeah. If you had a mod where all your tanks were painted pink, theyd still act the same and have the same amount of camoflauge as the stock tanks that come with the game. And they'd only look pink on your screen unless your friend was using the same mod.

Well since the topic is Panzer Grenadiers. Just would like to recommend a book i just finished reading a few days ago, its called "SS Panzergrenadier" by Hans Schmindt. Details can be found here. Very interesting read. I highly recommended it if your interested in this military unit.

No, it doesn't. I really don't understand why it says that. Nothing outrageous or terrible about it. Im thinking it says that just to get more people to buy it. Or maybe because they don't want people reading about allied atrocities.

Edit: Since i can't spell.

[ April 22, 2003, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: MeatEtr ]

Here is a short review of the book which pretty much hits the nail right on the head. This is not my review since im not much of a writer. ;)

"SS Panzergrenadier" ranks as one of the most outstanding volumes in my sizeable collection of books about WWII. As an autobiography, not only does it give a German viewpoint of the war (which we find all too seldom), it also takes us beyond tactics and strategy into the heart and mind of one who was a direct participant. Hey, those German soldiers were people like you and me - they DIDN'T have horns and a tail!!! In fact, the author's experiences in one of Eisenhower's death camps leaves a thoughtful reader reflecting on which side true inhumanity was to be found.

Hans Schmidt's engaging writing style carries the reader along on the odyssey of a young life that repeatedly came close to being over almost before it began. It's a great pity that there are not more voices like his left today. Our search for historical perspective would be easier if there were.

hits the nail right on the head.
no wonder no ones to be its publisher theres ppl with nails being hammering lol

Thats a good review for the book which sounds like its worth having.

Eisenhower's death camps
i didn know we did the death camps as well :eek:

i never even hear of allied 'deaths camps' before.

Iam gonner check that one up on the net