enemy vehicles seen with no LOS

I keep seeing enemy vehicles to which I don't have an LOS (they are way back in the enemy area). I've seen this

in CMBO, too. My theory is that these are vehicles that have been previously

visually identified, and now just hearing them automatically identifies them. In other

words, the ID level of an enemy unit never drops. Is this correct and are there

plans to improve it?

• 2 months later...

So you are definately sure none of your units has LOS to those vehicles? Does it happen to you all the time, randomly, or is there some constant in those situations? In other words, is it reproduceable? How far would it be from the closest unit of yours, and what kind of vehicle is it? And you know that it's not just a sound contact, I presume. Do you have screenshots of the situation, or even better, save files? Are you playing with v1.02?

I'm asking all these questions because I really haven't encountered anything like that, haven't noticed at least. In all my games, vehicles that I have ID'd but go out of sight like behind a building, usually are replaced by a unit marker within seconds. Unless there is actually some unit spotting them that you haven't noticed (like in a 2-storey building on a hill), I'm clueless.

I haven't seen it yet in CMBB, but this is indeed an old bug from CMBO. I even sent in a savegame to Madmatt that showed it, many moons ago.

I'm quite certain it is not caused by previously IDed vehicles, as I have seen it with vehicles that had not yet been spotted.

I have seen it in CMBB but it never really bothered me that much.

It is possible to have enemy units (always vehicles) show up at the start of the game and after waste all kinds of time you find the NONE of your units can trace a LOS to them.

I just say OH well maybe they are not really there anyway and move on.

smile.gif

-tom w

Sergei, I am positive there is no LOS (I hecked). I can't say if it's all the time or randomly, because I have not deliberately tested. I am speaking from experience, but I am sure something is wrong here, and there is at least one other player who has seen it too. I don't know if sound contacts are generating bogey sightings, but the

enemy units appear where a sound contact might be.

I do have some PBEM replay files that show this. I have not seen it with v1.02 because I haven't played with v1.02 yet.

Thanks for your replies.

If a previously spotted vehicle ever fires its gun again, it will be spotted, no matter whether it is in LOS to any enemy units at that time.

It's easy to test in hotseat: have one tank IDed, then drive behind woods with noone in sight, it goes out of LOS and the cross markers stays somewhere. When it fires its gun it is immedeately shown with the full old ID and the new location to the opponent.

[ May 10, 2003, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

One of the things about the game which annoys me is that it's too easy to hear enemy AFV's. If you have an infantry company, and there's no fighting nearby, you can hear an enemy tank a mile away. On the other hand, if your force is heavily mechanized, and battle is joined, you shouldn't hear any new enemy tanks.

Those are sound contacts. Your men hear the enemy vehicles. The locations are only approximate, and can be off by 100m or so. You don't need a line of sight to hear clanking tank treads. The level of info is typically "tank" (for any full AFV), "light armor" (10 ton types), and "truck" (unarmed, untracked vehicles). You can tell sound contacts from sight contacts because sound contacts have a "?" on the screen picture. I hope this helps.

I saw this kind of thing happen with bunkers and pillboxes in CMBO.

They were sound contacts but they were ID's as bunkers/pillboxes and the contacts were positioned accuratately in relation to the actual position of the bunker/pillbox.

I had something like this yesterday. My opponent kept T34s (effing @£&^$£&^$£ T34s) behind crestlines. Although none of my troopers did have LOS to one of them, as soon as it started moving, it would appear as a T34 model, not as a generic grey 'Tank?', although before it had disappeared completely for a while (maybe a case fol Moulder and Scully?). I thought that was quite realistic, since I did know that there was only one T34 behind that crest-line in the game.

Well, at least I think this was the same sort of situation, but what do I know. No wire/mines, no LOS, extreme FOW.