Hulldown/Hunt Bug?

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

I believe this "issue" is a problem

I hope it will be addressed in v1.02

one round in the ground short of the target or into the hill or rise in front of your tank, on an occasional basis, is probably realistic BUT when they do it all the time and when they end up pouring round after round into the same hole in the ground directly in front of the tank on a predictable and ongoing basis I think we should be asking if there is not something questionable :confused: in the game code somewhere.

-tom w

Perhaps the thought is that if you doing it enough you create your own firing slit.

Yesss, that must be it.

tongue.gif

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen this problem too many times.

You simply must be LOOKING for an argument to say this is common IRL. BTW this little problem happens when using green or crack tanks.

FWIW… I’ve read in this forum more than a few inconsistencies with LOS. Not to say they are all true but there does seem to be enough evidence to raise the question (bug).

GreasyPig

Originally posted by GreasyPig:

I've seen this problem too many times.

You simply must be LOOKING for an argument to say this is common IRL. BTW this little problem happens when using green or crack tanks.

FWIW… I’ve read in this forum more than a few inconsistencies with LOS. Not to say they are all true but there does seem to be enough evidence to raise the question (bug).

GreasyPig

Ugh, the firing slit creation thing was my poor attempt at humor. I think that's why al lthe pics of tanks I've seen had shovels. smile.gif

edited to emphasize- that was another poor attempt at humor.

Egbert,

That wasn't pointed at you bud. I got the joke : ), just folks in genral who believe its COMMON for tanks to plow a hill crest not 30yrds in front of them a half dozen times or more in a row.

CRAP! I had a crack tiger do this.

Realize, I'm not shouting bug. But I believe there IS something a little wacky with the LOS.

Has there been any "official" acknowledgement of this yet?

GreasyPig

GreasyPig

Has there been any "official" acknowledgement of this yet?
In another thread, yes. So might as well do it here too smile.gif

We are aware of what appears to be a rounding error (i.e. bug) that can make this happen far more frequently than it should. The bug has been in since CMBO, but it was apparently a lot harder to see it since there was not as many people getting into Hull Down spots. Charles was unable to find it as a result, so hopefully he will be able to track it down this time.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

We are aware of what appears to be a rounding error (i.e. bug) that can make this happen far more frequently than it should. The bug has been in since CMBO, but it was apparently a lot harder to see it since there was not as many people getting into Hull Down spots. Charles was unable to find it as a result, so hopefully he will be able to track it down this time.

Steve

I knew it, they're on it!!! YIPPEE!!! Good ole BTS. :cool:

KC

Bonjour fellas,

Yep, seen the same problem too... hull down tank in defilade continuously firing rounds into the protective hillside directly in front of the gun... and it doesn't matter what experience level the crew is...

Not so bad when it is the AI's tank trying to shoot you... hahahahahaha...

But a real pain in the butt when it's your tank wasting all the ammo...

Cordialement, Duke of Earl

Steve

Yea!

Originally posted by Determinant:

Try to put yourself into the environment that the game is attempting to model. But then, you're right, it must just be a bug. Twit.[/QB]

Who's the twit now? ;)

Steve, I know you said this has already been discussed, but I tried searching a variety of ways and couldn't locate the topic. Just wanted you to know there was no trolling here. Thanks for jumping into this thread and clearing things up!

[ December 30, 2002, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: tigger ]

Steve

Thats good enough for me smile.gif !

Good luck on the bug hunt...

that one sounds sort of tricky to pin down I'm guessing....

:confused:

Thanks clearing that up....

-tom w

Steve

Oh frabjous day! Calloo, Callay!

Come to me now my beamish boy!

(And other odd sayings of congratulatory joy)

Thanks, guys.

Originally posted by Steve, at BFC;

We are aware of what appears to be a rounding error (i.e. bug) that can make this

happen far more frequently than it should. The bug has been in since CMBO, but it

was apparently a lot harder to see it since there was not as many people getting into

Hull Down spots. Charles was unable to find it as a result, so hopefully he will be

able to track it down this time.

Hmmm. I don't know SQUAT about coding or bugs or what have you. It's just that I NEVER saw this behaviour in CMBO and I was religiously fanatical about achieving HULLDOWN for my armor. But using this same fanatical worldview in regards to HULLDOWN in CMBB revealed this trench digging with main gun phenomenon. I was mightlily surprised.

Like I said, I don't know nuthin' but this seems like a "new" situation, rather than a previously documented problem.

Just trying to be honest about my opinion. smile.gif

But whatever! As long as it is solved, WHO CARES what I think. :D

smile.gif

Gpig

Yes, yes, je suis le Roi de Twi(a)t. Wrong again. The only consolation is that after 35 years of being wrong it does get easier after a while.
Takes a big man to admit he's wrong. Bigger than a lot of people on this board anyway, and I respect that Determinant! Good man!

ianc

Steve,

Thank you, especially since it’s a repeat reply. BTW I did use the search, but just try searching “Hull down”, “LOS”, “bug”, … There is simply so much info on this board I can’t see the forest for the trees. As an engineer myself I (and I'm sure NASA) have a special place in my heart for the “rounding bug”. I believe your assumption about hull down and CMBO is right on, I just never had a tank live long enough to see it!

Determinant,

It really doesn’t get easier (admitting your wrong). You just get use to it. I mean, if you really know in your heart something to be true and an “authority” says its not, then what are you to do? For example, I know my mother in law is the key holder to the gates of hell and I’m convinced my wife is the spawn between her and the man holding a seat for me down there. However, when I was truthful about this with my spouse (which at the time seemed to be the RIGHT thing to do) it was explained to me that I was wrong… in not so many words.

Horus,

Back off bud. This game is their baby and our passion. It’s their job to stand guard… with a shotgun (especially on weekends and holidays).

GreasyPig

P.S. please attach replies to the “Backyard”. Me and Sparky are getting along nicely. If I aint there I’ll be stealing old donuts from Circle K for supper.

From Boo Radley

Oh frabjous day! Calloo, Callay!

Come to me now my beamish boy!

I share your sentiments, but I belive that the exact quote is "Come to my arms, my beamish boy! O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! He chortled in his joy". I would have let it pass, but I hold someone with your literary username to a higher standard. ;) Plus, since I can't compare to others in this forum on WWII grogness, I can at least strive for literary nit-picking grogness.

• 1 month later...

I’m bumping this because it is such an annoying bug.

This happened to me twice with a flak truck yesterday. First time I moved it carefully into LOS of a light building I wanted to pepper with HE, but it only managed to dig a little hole in the dirt. The second time, the same flak truck had LOS to a dangerous AT rifle. Again it unloaded round after round into the dirt while the AT rifle merrily plinked away until the flak truck was knocked out.

Anyway, looks like BFC is on this one. Hopefully we will see a fix in the next patch.

I don't know if this will help but in CMBO, when I wanted a tank to go hull down, I aimed for the crest of hill with a hunt order. When an enemy tank would appear in LOS my tank would stop right on top of the crest and be hull down. When I try the same thing in CMBB a tank usually gets LOS and stops a few meters below the crest. So compared to CMBO it seems that CMBB tanks aquire LOS a bit faster and try to engage in a too deep hull down position.