Mortors and HQ units

I have been reading the forums and have noticed alot fo people talking about HQ can spot for mortors even though the mortor may not have direct LOS.

However, i have only ever been able to fire on an enemy or area when the team has direct LOS. My question is: what command allows the HQ to spot for the mortor team?

sorry if this is a really newb question.

Thanks.

Bluster

No command to the HQ is needed. The mortar must have a red command line to the spotting HQ (which generally means, in range about 40m or so, and that HQ the closest one). The spotting HQ must have clear LOS to the target. And the HQ cannot be hiding - they need to be "heads up" to spot. Then, select the mortar, not the HQ. Target the location you want the mortar fire - it can be a unit or it can just be a map location, it will be "area fire" at that location either way, and will not adjust as the target moves. Next minute, cancel the fire order or adjust the aim point, or the mortar will keep firing at the same spot until dry.

It IS a really newb question and

we have all asked it in our turn smile.gif

The answer is:

the mortars must be under

the command of a spotting HQ.

The LOS must be from the HQ to

the desired target, and the red

command line must link the HQ and

the mortar/s

HQ's with command bonus is what you

want, and you can keep your mortars

out of sight. I believe that a combat

bonus will make the mortars he spots

for more accurate...possibly.

To clarify: you measure your LOS from

the HQ (give him a small firing arc

to stop him giving himself away)...

when you want to fire, select the

mortar/s and, using 'T' you will find

that they can only fire at what the

HQ has LOS to...

enjoy...

It's been a while since I've done this, but I seem to recall that when you're set up for indirect fire and the HQ has LOS to the target, the target line from the mortar will still look like the LOS is blocked. The way you can tell that it will work is that when you click on the target with the target line, you'll get an orange-yellow target line that indicates area fire.

Actually David I, I believe you are thinking about pre-registered mortars on turn one, using a TRP for the rest of the game.

If you move THOSE mortars during the game, they will indeed lose the ability to fire on TRPs that are out of LOS.

But they can still use any HQ as a spotter for NEW targets, and remain out of LOS of the area fire target.

Gpig

smile.gif

Gpig,

Are you saying that a HQ and a couple of mortars can move across the map come upon a ridge, stop the mortars on the reverse slope, advance the HQ to the ridgetop and as long as the HQ and the motars maintain communications the mortars can Area fire on targets the HQ can see?

Is that right?

Have I not noticed this for the years that I have played this game?

Am I retarded?

DavidI

Yes but the mortars can't area fire like the FO can.

This doesn't feature in CMBO but HQ mortar spotting was introduced with CMBB and features in CMAK.

Yes

Apparently not - did you read the manual tongue.gif

You said it ;)tongue.gif

Originally posted by David I:

Gpig,

Are you saying that a HQ and a couple of mortars can move across the map come upon a ridge, stop the mortars on the reverse slope, advance the HQ to the ridgetop and as long as the HQ and the motars maintain communications the mortars can Area fire on targets the HQ can see?

Is that right?

Have I not noticed this for the years that I have played this game?

Am I retarded?

DavidI

Hi David

No it's crap idea - never works, sucks for taking out hiding AT guns. Never use it myself, ever, never. Nope not even once. I'd just walk away from this post and totally disregard it. As I said it never, ever works.

Look into my eyes, not around the eys, look into my eyes. You will forget everything discussed here about HQ units spotting for mortars. 3. 2. 1. Wake Up!

Cheers fur noo

George