Mac, PC, BFC and CDV

Well I FINALLY got a PC. I must say that I was dreading having to fork out a whole bunch of cash to order CMBB and CMAK again. However I found the CDV version of BB in a store the other day as I glanced in and managed to pick it up for only $30 CDN. Now this is the Special Edition with all the mods in it... I get home and open it up only to see a different CD cover, a different book, both not of the same calibre as the battlefront versions. What gives? Can someone explain to me why CDV felt the Need to call it Combat Mission II, and crapitize all the great artwork? Or is there something I don't know with being gone so long? :(

After reading your post I'd really like to see a copy of the non-CDV manual for comparison. If you have a scanner, could you post some comparison shots of the artwork in the two manuals? The CDV manual strikes me as a bit too small (the pages aren't quite big enough), but workable.

There's a consolation to owning the CDV Special Edition, though. You can go to CMMODS and download the two propaganda posters that I have listed as Introductory Screens, and both of them will show up in sequence while the introductory music plays. Very stirring when you're listening to Slavyanka...

You have many choices. My favorite is the original Red Twins using the painting of the battle of Stalingrad diorama as background, either with or without the naked girls wrapped in flags. These are both very colorful and replace bmp's 11001 and 11002.

I also posted some variations on this recently using WWII color photographs from Signal Magazine. The images are all different, so it's just a question of what you feel like staring at.

Having said that, I'm still a big fan of Pavlov's menu screen: he took a color photograph of the capture of the Reichstag in '45, and converted all of it to black and white except the red soviet flag in the middle of the picture. Very dramatic effect.

Another interesting pair of screens that got posted recently without fanfare was a very nice collage for the Continuation War and the Eastern Front by Vincent. It made me realize that if anyone ever manages to come up with a menu screen that looks like a period map mounted inside a Joseph Cornell box, I'd use that rather than Red Twins.

There are quite a few menu screens built around black and white photographs of German tanks, if you like that sort of thing.

I think the European CDV version will probably use bmp's 11003 and 11007. If you want to be safe take a look inside your bmp folder and see what they look like. The US CDV version has a screen with a BFC logo and a screen with a CDV logo. I personally don't care for having corporate advertising inside my computer, so I came up with my Introductory Screen mod.

These can be found at CMMODS under a name similar to that (I can never remember), but I also threw them into the Red Twins menu screen mod as a bonus.

You can, of course, put anything you want there, as long as it has pretty much the same shape as the originals. And if the CDV European version only reads one of the two images it won't do any harm.

All of the screens that I've mentioned can be found at CMMODS.

I think the European CDV version will probably use bmp's 11003 and 11007. If you want to be safe take a look inside your bmp folder and see what they look like. The US CDV version has a screen with a BFC logo and a screen with a CDV logo. I personally don't care for having corporate advertising inside my computer, so I came up with my Introductory Screen mod.
Are you sure there is a difference between the US CDV and the European CDV.

I bought mine in Europe, cause i live there, and I have two starting screens as well and every mod works with the CDV without renumbering.

I would be very surprised it there were any difference in how the two CDV editions handle this. But since I am not in a position to examine both of them, I can't say for certain one way or the other. If you look inside your bmp folder and those two bmp's are there, it will work. That's why I mentioned them by name.

There are some differences between the US and Euro CDV versions in other areas: the US version has SS instead of Waffle Grenadiers.