Two turns per e-mail is here

Originally posted by Fuerte:

[*]If it ever goes out to the Save Game screen, don't enter the name yourself, just press the F5 key and it does it automatically.

[*]Once it is the end of things, it will automatically close CM and send you

back to PBEM helper.

The F5 feature closing CM and sending back to PBEM Helper is rather nice, is it available for the normal games (not Fast + Trust mode) ?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuerte,

We need a better description (in your release notes) exactly WHEN to change to fast&secure mode when 2 players have a non-fast&secure PBEM going.

As I understand it - please correct me if I'm wrong - is that you can only change a non-fast&secure game into one via the following two steps:

</font>

• Only select fast&secure mode when a player has viewed a 60 sec. movie/film sequence and the PBEM file allows this same player to plot directly after viewing said 60 sec. movie sequence; (i.e. only every 3rd file turn, or at file turn 6 or file turn 9 etc? <-- Is this assumption correct?)</font>
  • Make sure that if you do (1) above that it is only done when the game file status within PBEM Helper = "SEND"</font>

Is this correct? My opponent did just that (both have latest version of PBEM v1.3.332) where he, on turn 6, viewed a movie file and immediately after this viewing plotted his moves. This file was then - after converting it in the message box to fast&secure when play status was "send" - onforwarded to me no success. :confused:

Exactly when (what turn # with a non-quickbattle) should I convert a ONGOING pbem game to fast&secure mode to have some success?

Sincerely,

Charl

[ September 09, 2003, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

I have another question too.

It seems from an abortive game I had going that if you start a game without PBEM Helper then you can't get it to run Fast & Trust in PBEM Helper partway through the game, as it doesn't have any idea what turn you are actually on (and so doesn't do things in the right order).

Maybe if you got the timing right (as in the previous post) it would work...?

HAPPINESS

Used "A Deadly Affair" as a trial going T&S from the beginning and it is working beautifully. Every turn a joy. Much much better than the existing secure BTS system.

PLEASE try it out, you will love it. [all i have to do is work out why it did not work in my first games - I suspect it was the password confusion - see my post above]

Congrats to Fuerte and all who have contributed to it.

Second above post regarding PBEM Helper, was/is Taylor's opponent and the fast&secure mode works absolutely B_E_A...utifully.

I suggest to start as from move/PBEMfilename001 (i.e. convert your first move to fast&secure rather than doing it mid-game, as for some reason I could not get in going as per Taylor's description above.

But once we got fast&secure method going via another test PBEM game, PBEM Helper works as promised, with game e-mail exchange files cut to 2-3 times less between players. Wow! Impressive way to play PBEM and much quicker. Just make sure that both players have the latest PBEM Helper program version.

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

logo.gif

-----------------------------------------------------

</font>

• Wine donation send to Fuerte for his PBEM HELPER, an excellent tool - it even lets you play 2 PBEM turns per e-mail exhange - if you play more than one PBEM at a time and have a Windows OS</font>
  • Sponsor of the (now infamous) Invitational (Ari Maenpaa)</font>
  • Sponsor of the 2 WineCape Tourneys (Fangorn’s Brazilian customs drank the wine prize up! + KiwiJoe)</font>
  • Sponsor of the Nordic Championships in honor of Nabla (His scoring system revolutionized CM tourney play)</font>
  • Rumblings of War, aka RoW I/II/III and beyond tourney sponsor (Wreck/Ali+Kanonier+Jon_L/~)</font>
  • Grateful donateur to the drinking habits of Battlefront.com (Baldy received the Fat Bastard Chardonnay)</font>
  • Thank You donation send to Manx (He used to run the “sexiest CMBO modsite on the net”)</font>
  • Wine donation send to Boots & Tracks for their scenarios created specifically for RoW tournaments</font>
  • Wine donation send to Gordon Molek for his CMMOS utility (Thereby making the installing of CM mods a breeze)</font>
  • Wine donation send to Andrew Fox for his CM modding work</font>
  • Wine donation send to Keith Miller @ Scenario Depot for his dedication in hosting CM scenarios</font>
  • Sponsor-to-be of Pengville’s “Gamey Bastard” tourney (In honor of Seanachai + Lars for showing an act of kindness to an outerboarder - Well, bribery does pay.)</font>

-------------------History Note------------------

On 22 December 1944 General Heinrich von Lüttwitz, commander of the German XLVII Armoured Corps, sent a message to General McAuliffe, commander of 101st Airborne Division* demanding he surrender the surrounded town of Bastogne. McAuliffe’s reply, “NUTS!” is probably unequalled in the annals of military history, both for its brevity and the amount of confusion it caused in the German camp before it was deciphered.

*The 101st Airborne Division held out in Bastogne from 19-26 December 1944. The 4th American Armoured Division, under Patton’s Third Army, relieved the “Battered Bastards of Bastogne” during the German Ardennes offensive.

Originally posted by atiff:

I third it! Despite my post above, I have had Fast & Trust working, just not against another person (I solo tested vs myself). Will be remedying that shortly....

You that hard-up for a PBEM? smile.gifDrop me a mail if you're interested in these details, have a mean system and want to play Russkies.

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

Originally posted by Thin Red Line:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Fuerte:

[*]If it ever goes out to the Save Game screen, don't enter the name yourself, just press the F5 key and it does it automatically.

[*]Once it is the end of things, it will automatically close CM and send you

back to PBEM helper.

The F5 feature closing CM and sending back to PBEM Helper is rather nice, is it available for the normal games (not Fast + Trust mode) ? </font>

Originally posted by WineCape:

Exactly when (what turn # with a non-quickbattle) should I convert a ONGOING pbem game to fast&secure mode to have some success?

It is exactly as you said: You must have just done the View+Plot phase, and you must then convert the file before you send it. It's that simple.

But it is even simpler to start a new game in fast+trust mode. Just give the game file name 2- prefix when you save it for the first time. That's it. You don't need to convert anything, just give that name. smile.gif

Of course, you must be absolute sure that you have entered a correct password in PBEM Helper game settings, because this password is then encrypted and sent with the game, so that your opponent can skip your view turn, and the fast mode actually works.

Fuerte, in the latest versions of PBEM Helper screen blanking works perfectly. I think that those black textures are no longer necessary. They use a lot of space on my hard drive. Will you remove them?

And I just wanted to add that PBEM Helper is absolutely the best tool for PBEM games. Thank you Fuerte. smile.gif

Originally posted by WineCape:

You that hard-up for a PBEM? smile.gif Drop me a mail if you're interested in these details, have a mean system and want to play Russkies

Too rich for me. My problem is not willingness for PBEM or lack of opponents, it is lack of RL time. Currently have three PBEM on the go, and that is about all I ahve time for. smile.gif

But it is even simpler to start a new game in fast+trust mode. Just give the game file name 2- prefix when you save it for the first time. That's it. You don't need to convert anything, just give that name. smile.gif

Playing is fast mode is absolutely wonderful, there's no doubt about it. However, it never seems so simple to get there... in fact we almost alway have something of a battle persuading PBEMH to actually get smoothly into the groove.

I just started a game, gave it a 2- name as above, and checked that PBEMH thought it was in fast mode... it did.

BUT, when it came to turn three (IE I had entered my initial orders and my opponent had), the "now its time to switch to fast mode" dialog came up, and the transition failed: I was looking at View instead of Plot.

This is a common occurence, and the only solution seems to be to keep trying on each email exchange till it works :( :confused:

[ September 14, 2003, 03:20 AM: Message edited by: GreenAsJade ]

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

It wasn't a QB.

Fuerte says "if you start it with a 2- name, it just knows".

I agree it needs experience to get it to work... so far I don't have enough to get it to work the same way each time :(

Maybe my opponent goofs something up. It's a great feature, but it'd be even better if it were a little more robust!

You still have to tell it to start the fast mode in turn 3 or 5 (if QB), even if you give it the 2- prefix when you start it. PBEM Helper asks it from you when you click Play, you don't have to convert it.

Only when you convert an existing game from normal mode to fast+trust mode, only then you need to do it right after view+plot turn.

Originally posted by Gamax:

Fuerte, in the latest versions of PBEM Helper screen blanking works perfectly. I think that those black textures are no longer necessary. They use a lot of space on my hard drive. Will you remove them?

And I just wanted to add that PBEM Helper is absolutely the best tool for PBEM games. Thank you Fuerte. smile.gif

True, black bmps are not necessary any more. They load faster than regular graphics, but I will remove them from the next version.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't remember, so I checked CMBB.VBS source code, and yes, F5 works for normal games as well, if you are using numbered file names (with exactly three digits in the end before .txt). It does not close CMBB, because some people want to keep it running, but it sends one mouse click, and then sends the next numbered file name.

Although everything else appears to be fine with PBEM Helper, I can't get this "F5" feature to work with any games - has anyone got any tips? Assume nothing is too obvious.

Thanks,

Teddy

Originally posted by Thin Red Line:

I don't know. I just press "F5" and it works fine :D !

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by Sergei:

Ed - do you mind if I call you Ed? - what OS do you have? I had WinME and some PBEMH features didn't work for me, but after I changed into WinXP it has worked fine. Do other key commands (like the gamma correction) work okay?

Ed is fine, Sergei. And that's a very good point ... my steam-powered personal computer is running Win98SE. I've not actually tried the gamma correction either (I'm more of an alt-G man). I'll reinstall and try again, but maybe I'm just going to have to live with it.

Toodle pip,

Teddy