Is there any way to see actual fog in the game?

I am playing a scenario that specifies fog (city of ruins) and the LOS is only about 70m but if you choose a unit and look around you can of course see to the edge of the map. Would a different video card make a difference (I have a Radeon 8500)? I already set "weather/fog" to "extreme"... I would prefer not to have to pretend to myself that there is fog around.

Originally posted by derb:

I am playing a scenario that specifies fog (city of ruins) and the LOS is only about 70m but if you choose a unit and look around you can of course see to the edge of the map. Would a different video card make a difference (I have a Radeon 8500)? I already set "weather/fog" to "extreme"... I would prefer not to have to pretend to myself that there is fog around. [/quote

get NVIDIA Geforce4 MX420

:D

and you will be all set, about 100 us Dlls or less

Ah, now it makes sense! :(

I have an ATI card in my laptop and there's no fog. I was sure I could remember fog when I played on my pc, but assumed I was going bonkers (most of my life is spent wondering if I'm going bonkers). Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be changing my laptop's graphics card! So, all I can say is "Fog off".... :D

I am not sure ATI is 100% to blame here, probably more like 80%.

CMBB basically uses DirectX 5.x APIs and those old APIs are just under the radar of the hardware vendors. Some don't implement all old features (ATI), some don't test them properly (NVidia).

It is somewhat similar to the MacOS X issue: On Apple, CM uses a very old API as well. So in the Mac case Apple dropped the old Rave API altogether. In the Microsoft case it is nice that MS themself still supports DirectX 5 in newest DirectXs. But it is of less use if the Hardware vendors don't properly fill the provided calls with working functionality.

Releasing a Rave/Directx5 game in late 2003 is a questionable move in my opinion...

Originally posted by redwolf:

Releasing a Rave/Directx5 game in late 2003 is a questionable move in my opinion...

It is unfortunate that CM:AK will inherit all the problems that the current engine is having with the lack of proper driver support. :(

I would be willing to pay more if the engine can be brought up to more "current" API calls. I know there is no guarantee that the hardware vendors won't let us down again, but ATI, NVIDIA, and Apple all seem to have problems with the old API calls CM uses.

fog.jpg

ATI Rage Pro Mobility (8 MB), Mac OS 9.2.3. But I should probably point out that the actual visibility in this scenario - 200 m - is still a good deal less than the apparent visibility here (which I would estimate at 500-600 m), even with Extreme weather settings.

[ April 13, 2003, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: demoss ]

Originally posted by Abn Air Cav:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by redwolf:

It is unfortunate that CM:AK will inherit all the problems that the current engine is having with the lack of proper driver support. :(

I would be willing to pay more if the engine can be brought up to more "current" API calls. I know there is no guarantee that the hardware vendors won't let us down again, but ATI, NVIDIA, and Apple all seem to have problems with the old API calls CM uses. </font>

ATI Rage Pro Mobility (8 MB), Mac OS 9.2.3. But I should probably point out that the actual visibility in this scenario - 200 m - is still a good deal less than the apparent visibility here (which I would estimate at 500-600 m), even with Extreme weather settings.
Get down on the deck - (view level 1). The higher levels thin the fog out so that you can actually see your units from up there.