Stukas??????

Impressive lurking sir, I salute you. Ryo, your elders and betters have it right. Just like most company commanders in WWII, you have no control over the fly-boys. Keep the sound up and you'll start to hear buzzing as they get closer. When they attack all you'll see is a shadow on the ground, but by tracking it and clicking enemy units under the flightpath you can get a target line to see what they are dropping their stuff on. Air support tends to be pretty random, and most players don't use it much in QBs; it's best for scenarios.

I just completed a 2,000 point assault on a soviet town where i paid for a ground attack ME109. It was a 35 turn game and the plane turned up on...

TURN 35 !!!!!!

GAH!!!

Still, good job he didnt have 2 KV1s defending the key ridge all bloody game wasn't it? Oh wait, he did.

Grum

Originally posted by GRUMLIN:

TURN 35 !!!!!! GAH!!!

Grum

Well, go yell at the Luftwaffe! tongue.gif

I know what you mean. I'm playing in a little campaign now and my opponent got two (only two, I hope) ground-attack aircrafts. They came in early, loaded with bombs and utterly destroyed 5 trucks and 1 Kübelwagen I had parked in the rear, out of the way. Thank God (insert your deity here) they didn't attack my newly arrived panzers, all lined up along a road!!

My opponent had a few choicy words about the target selection skills of his pilots! :D

[ March 28, 2003, 03:10 AM: Message edited by: Hawk ]

Originally posted by Alfatwosix:

So overall, and this is a question for you veterans, is buying airpower worth the points? Or would you not bother with it and rather invest in arty?

I think that if you're playing a purchase battle, and you're playing to win, aircraft are too much of a risk. You might spend 10% of your points on airpower, only to find that no aeroplane turns up, or that the plane does turn up but proceeds to trash your tanks.

Planes are best suited to scenarios. They can make or break a game, but I prefer to break my own games without the assistance of planes. smile.gif

So overall, and this is a question for you veterans, is buying airpower worth the points? Or would you not bother with it and rather invest in arty?

Most of the time planes are too expensive, in comparison to the risks involved. Yes, a ground attack plane is almost guaranteed to take out enemy armor, if it manages to target the armor instead of other vehicles, or the enemy's troops altogether in the first place.

I say your points are usually better spent on AT guns and off-board artillery assets.

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

Yes, a ground attack plane is almost guaranteed to take out enemy armor, if it manages to target the armor instead of other vehicles, or the enemy's troops altogether in the first place.

I'm not so sure about this. In my latest games I've had about 5 airstrikes against my tanks. None where taken out, and we're talking about bombs and rockets here, not MG. In the latest game I had 6 Pz I and Pz II close together, hiding behind a hill. 3 airstrikes (2 x rockets, 1 bombs) and only 1 casulty (a tank commander in an open hatch). No damage to the tanks.

So in my view, aircrafts are a big gamble! I'll take arty instead any day! smile.gif

I'm always grumbling at the Luftwaffe. I thought I'd be cunning and have a Stuka in a game where I'm defending, throw the enemy off so to speak.

What happens?

The cheeky devil buys his own bloody aircraft and proceeds to maul my armour! I even invested in some AA halftracks, but those boys were too busy fraternising with the pretty Ukrainian girls to notice the rockets fired from above.

It's all very distressing. Turn 17/30 and I'm still waiting. The Russian hoard will be upon me before Rudi puts his Stuka into full throttle.

Originally posted by panzerwerfer42
:

Ryo You have no control over it. The pilots select targets on their own. Ocasionally they even mistake your troops for the enemy.
Heh, I had a Hs-129 take out my Panther today at the worst possible moment. Die verdammte Jabo's!!! :D ........

Regards, John Waters

[ April 01, 2003, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: PzKpfw 1 ]

In my experience, it's generally not worth the points. If you are feeling lucky, sure. However, if you want support that has a more certain chance of being around and being helpful then you are better off buying arty, AT assets, more infantry or vehicles. Just try a few games and judge for yourself.

An opposing opinion:

Depending on what forces you have and who you're facing, airpower could be your salvation! There's nothing like seeing a Sturmovik drop bombs on an unseen target behind a hill, only to find after the game is over that he knocked out a King Tiger laying in ambush.

There's a thread elsewhere about proper tactics when your T34-76s find themselves confronted by Tigers on a ridgeline. My opinion would be to sit tight and wait for airpower to handle 'em for you.

I've tried that, but it only made the TC unbutton to see where those eightteen holes in a perfect circle around his tank came from. :(

After taking out six of my tanks, I got really, really mad and sent my T34/85 at full throtle through a enemy held street to flank this sob. A daring move, since I could hear panzerfausts and -schrecks firing around him. My T34 took that guy out at 20m, reversed and came back in one piece. Not bad for a tank crew who's missing a commander.

edited my spelling

[ April 02, 2003, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: Moe ]

Originally posted by Hawk:

I'm not so sure about this. In my latest games I've had about 5 airstrikes against my tanks. None where taken out, and we're talking about bombs and rockets here, not MG. In the latest game I had 6 Pz I and Pz II close together, hiding behind a hill. 3 airstrikes (2 x rockets, 1 bombs) and only 1 casulty (a tank commander in an open hatch). No damage to the tanks.

Rockets seem to inaccurate, I don't think I've ever witnessed one actually hitting a tank. Bombs are best against light armor, but autocannons are the real killer! They're accurate, and there's enough ammo for several strafes. Top penetrations and broken tracks are common occurences.

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

Rockets seem to inaccurate, I don't think I've ever witnessed one actually hitting a tank.
Unguided Rockets in WW2 were terribly innacurate. Ie, the 2nd TAF 124th wing consisting of Typhoons of 181, 182, & 247 Squadrons from June 6 - July 6 1944 claimed:

Tanks Destroyed - 12

Tanks Damaged - 4

AFV's destroyed - 1 (armored car).

124 Wing expended no less then 3,700 rockets, which equates to 308 rockets fired per tank destroyed.

Regards, John Waters

[ April 02, 2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: PzKpfw 1 ]

At home I have a 1950's USAF study of the chances of hitting a T34 with 5" rockets fired from a P-51.

The tests were carried out in Korea IIRC - under ideal conditions with a whole salvoe I think they could be pretty sure of hitting the T34 at least once if they used 8 salvoes or something like that!

[ April 02, 2003, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]