Cheating/Hacking re-visited

Hey gang, sorry to bring this unsavory topic back but I have seen things as of late in my PBEM games that make me go ummm....

Has anyone encountered or discovered any exploits or cheats in CM? Or possibles ones?

Thanks

ps - No zombies yet!

[ March 16, 2007, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: onodoken ]

There was a fellow picked up at the Blitz for (when about to commence playing a scenario) editing his units to include extra ammo, extra experience levels, couple more minor teams (bazookas from memory).

Again, if memory serves, there was a bloke picked up by CMHQPL who had hacked the actual game mechanics to alter his chances to hit, increase unit stats etc. I don't know the exact details, only that it apparently involved a lot of work.

Finally, I understand that if two players use PBEMHelper in trusted mode, an unscrupulous player can watch the replay and then, if they don't like the results, go back and redo their orders until they get a result more to their liking. The offender was caught when they inadvertently sent two "finished" turns off the their victim.

The first one was backup up by a supposed screen shot.

It could as easily have been doctored for a boast, or be the result of a CM bug as being a real hack. But that hack is theoretically possible, though a lot of work

By comparison the second one would be astonishing, for the amount of work it would involve.

The third one is in a different league. I reckon it happens as often as someone pinches lollies from the charity box that has an honour system. It's just too easy. That's why it's called *trust*ed mode.

Luckily the defense is equally easy: don't play in trusted mode unless you really trust the person (and yourself)!

GaJ

onodoken,

As McIvan has already stated it is possible for someone to cheat. The good news for you is that it appears that even IF the vast majority of Combat Mission game players were interested in cheating they don't have the knowledge/ability to do so.

Below, is a post taken from a CMBB forum thread titled "To the designers of the CMBB - is it possible??"

Posted by Madmatt (Member # 332) on March 11, 2005 04:02 PM:

Okay, here is the official word.

Can the game be hacked? YES

We have known for some time that with enough effort someone would eventually be able to hack the data sets. We are actually surprised it took this long for some one to do it (4 years). Just like pirating, there is only so much we can do to prevent such cheating and your best defense in a situation like this is to pick your opponents with caution.

Originally posted by Tactical Command:

The good news for you is that it appears that even IF the vast majority of Combat Mission game players were interested in cheating they don't have the knowledge/ability to do so.

And most CM players who would have the technical knowledge to hack the game are not interested in cheating. I don't know about anyone else, but to me even reloading a save-game from a battle against the AI after a turn that went badly just seems wrong.

Dschugaschwili

Basically the problem is bored people who learned how to use a Win32 debugger very well. Normally they develop ways to break into your Internet Exploder or put out no-CD cracks.

But going into the CM binary (a running one) and change a few variables isn't rocket science by any means.

The only confirmed cheat that has been put out in the form of a downloadable entity that can be used by other people than the author is one to mess with the unit selection, to buy more stuff in quickbattles. That is easy to counter by doing an inventory after the game is over.

[ March 20, 2007, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Redwolf ]