Hi!

Last night I was playing a QB with infantry only. It was a meeting engagement with thick fog and a large town.

During the battle I was surprised to notice that while my regular troops can normally take some gun firing before routing, in this battle some of them were not even shot at and they panicked. I started wondering, if weather conditions affect troop's morale? It would be logical thinking about sounds of fighting coming from somewhere, and you can't see more than 5 meters or so. Could someone please tell me if i was right, or was it something else?

Thanks!

I posted a thread about this awhile ago, although I don't think anyone knew.

However, its greatly shown in night battling that low visibility = troops freaking out for no reason. I've had my men retreat when they were not being shot at and ducking due to sound contacts VERY far away. I do think its modeled, at least from what i've seen.

Originally posted by Parachute Hamster:

OK, thanks. Nice to hear i'm not just paranoid yet smile.gif

Worse than getting shot at without cover is getting shot at

- from nowhere

- without any cover in sight

- not knowing where you will run to when you really start to panick...

I had problems advancing veteran squads in 60m viz.

After battle map of a Sov advance showed that in 30m viz the few veteran and regulars squads had reached and scouted the (undefended flags) while the bulk of the green force was on two heaps - err.. four heaps, that is - one of the two spearheads was split in those who panicked (100+), those who were in the last wave of that spearhead (150+) and those 300+ who had advanced into the sights of a single crack plt on 40% ammo.

Now I know why the tiny CM soldiers panick in low viz.

Gruß

Joachim

Oh, night battles in fog are fun!

I once had a Panzergrenadier platoon in CMBO sitting in their foxholes watching two US infantry platoons massacre each other while stumbling through barbwire obstacles.

As the remnants fled in panic to the rear they were gunned down by the third US platoon. :D

Enemy casualties: 50+ casualties

Own ammo expenditure: 0

[ May 26, 2003, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

This isn't just a 'game' phenomenon.

I recall one old WWII jungle fighter tell a story of how his platoon was strung out along the perimeter in foxholes in th dead of night. At one point he looked up to see a Japanese soldier peering down at him! He didn't dare fire his gun for fear of bringing down the wrath of God (his whole platoon firing blind in his direction)! He watched the Japanese soldier move from foxhole to foxhole in the dark then depart. A half hour later his unit received a memorable mortar attack!