T-26 piece of crap or piece of crap?

The most frustrating thing about the Russian tin cans in CM is that they instantly hit reverse when sighting almost all German armor.

I'm playing George Mc's Dubno campaign. I have about 40 T-26s charging the Germans. My entire squadron has been stopped cold by two Pzr IIIs. I just took a hard stare from the Germans to freeze them in their tracks.

This behavior would be OK for a single T-26, but for a mass attack it is just stupid for the mass to behave as an individual tank. I'll post that in the requests for the next CMBB patch. tongue.gif:D

For what is it worth, I have noticed that tanks in the BT series are a little braver than the T-26s. They will press forward even after sighting German armor. BT's vs. Pzr III (in CM) can be a good match up. BT's are "medium" tanks after all. :eek:

Shameless Plug: If you like Russian Tin Cans, you might like this scenario at The Scenario Depot. Tin Can Alley

T-26's are ordinary tanks, and like most "ordinary" stuff in CM* they come in for bad press.

Try fighting against them with "ordinary" 1941 German infantry - no demo charges, no molotovs, no magnetic mines, no grenade bundles.

Suddenly that 15mm armour becomes rather useful!

They are quite fun used in appropriate conditions - eg captured ones vs partisans, or Sov ones as above or vs Italians & other allied troops.

Originally posted by Stalin's Organist:

Try fighting against them with "ordinary" 1941 German infantry - no demo charges, no molotovs, no magnetic mines, no grenade bundles.

Don't forget to roll in with 3,7 PaK36 and make short work of them! Of course T26s will be good against infantry with no real AT capabilities. tongue.gif

Originally posted by Vixen:

I love junk tank fights or junk tank vs infantry fights. Lot of fun!

Obsolete tanks are just so fun to use. It is like the underdog in a one-sided fight!

Tschüß!

Erich

Originally posted by Fußball:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Stalin's Organist:

Don't forget to roll in with 3,7 PaK36 and make short work of them! Of course T26s will be good against infantry with no real AT capabilities. tongue.gif

</font>

Originally posted by Bannon DC:

The most frustrating thing about the Russian tin cans in CM is that they instantly hit reverse when sighting almost all German armor.

it's even more frustrating that IS-2 does the same silly reverse-of-death - and even when it actually has better changes of winning than the panzer it is fleeing away from.

The T-26 is a piece of absolute obsolete crap, though for the early period of the War 41-42 their better versions are quite good. The 76 HE chucker usually gets mis identified as a T-34 at range, which can throw the Axis off the lame ducks scent. The flame version (OT-26somethink) is quite able to surprise by fire- literally, with a good enough flame range. My personal favourite is the T-26E with 37mm of front armour which helps to give it a relatively good gun dueling chance against all that early war 37mm Panzer & PAK AT fire. :eek:

I rate all three versions above of the T-26 as better than the whole BT series and the T-60, in terms of a combination of protection and fire power punch. I don't mind that they drive so slow in the small scale tactical situations encounted in CMBB. With these three kinds, but especially in regards to the T-26E the early Soviets are quite able to deal with the obsolete armour of the Rumanians, Italians and Hungarians as well as to grapple with German Panzerlite: ACs, HTs, T-35s, PzJgrIs and PzIIs up to Renaults, T-38s, the Marders and even the odd old 37mm barrelled PzIII, though hopefully with an advantage in numbers to be sure at all times, preferably. ;)

Against a Pz II it can almost/usually/sometimes come out a victor!

Alas, untrue. In real life yes. In CMBB, the IIC gets the "layered armor doubled" bonus while the Russian 45mm gets the "untermenschen" bonus, with the result that the 45mm bounces from 35mm of armor at 500m. All the time. Meanwhile the 20mm laser cannon will hit through 30m of full woods. Only thing that sometimes helps is the poor behind armor effect of the shells - sometimes the IIC will run dry before you lose, say, your 4th T-26.