T-26 piece of crap or piece of crap?

Originally posted by David I:

I come down firmly on the piece of crap side.

The most worthless POS in the Russian inventory. It combines crappy armor with a crud gun, and yet manages to be hopelessly slow.

Truely a curse to have in a scenario.

David

Try Strachwitz at Dubno - you've heaps of em. For every panzer you KO you lose about ten of these tin cans. Poor bastards who had to crew em.

This LINK illustrates the real life outcome for so many of these guys. Be warned some of the photos are pretty graphic and leave you in no doubt at to the outcome for the crew when their tank was hit.

Cheers fur noo

George

Funny, they were the Tigers of the Spanish Civil War, back when they were NEW! This is why I always prefer scenarios to the cherry picked units in a quick battle. You'll never see units like this in a QB, even though the Soviet Union cranked them out in the 1930's like potato chips. Something tells me the Soviet crews would have preferred T-34s over their obsolete T-26s. Unfortunately for them, I'll bet nobody thought to give them the choice and they died in the lousy tanks they had. That's the reality of war, not a constant diet of Panthers and Tigers vs. T-34/85s and JS IIs.

They are fun tanks nonetheless. Always gives me that early war feel when I fight them in scenarios. Though I must give praise to one T-26c(Ot-134) which flanked my PzIIIG while it was KOing BT-7s and T-60s. Shot it right in the upper left side of its hull. Killed no crew with its weak ammunition but it did KO the tank. Sadly for the T26 my PaK5,0 was waiting for it to reverse, which it did...

Tschüß!

Erich

It depends on the scenario. German armor isn't everywhere and even AT guns were scarce. Play them early war against Romanians or German infantry. Defensively, they need good locales they can back out of after the first shot and set up again, drawing opponents into flank shots. Offensively, bring the survivors forward to support your infantry (and not where the AT guns are -- that's what the mortars are for). Odds are always bad, but any success is a testimony to your generalship and an embarrassment to your opponent. :D

Either that, or they were attached, have fallen off at the front, while pivoting off the right rear part of the track guard.

As for the T-26, I haven't played CMBB much, but there should be a version of the T-26 able to shoot

semidecently on the move. SOFAIK, the T-26e was the first tank ever to sport gun stabilization (vertical axis only; photoelectric principle).

Regards,

John Kettler

You say this about the T-26?

Well...then try from the axis - hungarian - site the Toldi I's in 1941! smile.gif

Althrough, the Toldi I's has one big advantage: they are pretty fast. Many times, I only could destroy russian AT Guns, that I "circle-danced" it with 3-5 Toldi, until the AT crew gave up and surrendered.

Originally posted by TheHumanMage:

What do you use them for?

They just explode

And vs infantry they dont do any damage

Better just to buy a machine gun

So what to do with the T-26, how do I use them?

[ September 19, 2006, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: uhu ]

They are a great intermediary link in your escalation chain.

i.e. attacker brings in some HT's to harrass you, instead of exposing a gun bring up the T-26, keyholed if possible, and he has to bring forward big armor, withdraw the fire support or expose his own ATG's.

Of couse, even then you need to stand off. I'd rather wear a thick coat than a T-26.

I really like the T-26: when I'm on the side that gets to trash it!

But the T-26 Arty and Flamethrower versions are nothing to be shrugged at. Though they are quite vunerable and have weak offensive power with the machinegun inside, with infantry support and perhaps a mid ranged tank they can excel if they are one of the specialized versions.

Only if they don't hit them first.

I prefer to use them on the defensive more than the offense because the smoke from say, a mortar can protect the poor thing while I pull it back or reposition it in a more oppourtune position.

For ambushing the flamethrower can't be beat. In a light mechanized situation, the OT-26? can't be beat! (by a dummy anyways)

But, BUT I don't know about it being completely useless. It can be used to waste up German AT ammo and as excellent distractions for the AI infantry while your guys are making moves. Even though it is slow, crappy and all around just a bad tank for serious situations it proves itself in smaller scraps, I suppose.

Wow, I really wanna use this thing again now!

Originally posted by Other Means:

Of course, even then you need to stand off. I'd rather wear a thick coat than a T-26.

Now who wouldn't?

[ September 14, 2006, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Uberpickle ]

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Either that, or they were attached, have fallen off at the front, while pivoting off the right rear part of the track guard.

Regards,

John Kettler

Yeah that's my guess as well. Wow, I really need to get a new monitor. Can't see **** with this thing.

Originally posted by Fußball:

It is a known fact that Russians often stacked their coats on the T-26 for added armor protection.

Tschüß!

Erich

They also doubled and sometimes tripled the vodka rations to the tank crews. ;)