"gun hit," what is it in game terms?

I was playing a game and my STUGIIIG received multiple "gun hits" from a Soviet 45mm AT gun at ~400 yards with no discernable effect (the gun worked fine, the veteran crew was not bothered by the hits).

probably a dumb question but what is a "gun hit" in CMBB? That is when an AFV is hit by a shell the result says "gun hit." Is it merely a hit on the AFV's gun mantlet/barrel? The book gives nice descriptions about 'spalling', partial penetration, etc. but I couldn't find anything regarding "gun hit" in the book or on a search at this forum.

just curious...

Thanks in advance.

For CM, the worse case "Gun Hit" would make the main gun unusable. MG's, including the coax MG, would still be useable.

In real life I'd imagine that a tank would be pulled back to safety if the gun was rendered useless. No sense in risking an expensive tank if the main weapon is not funcitonal. In CM you could use the tank still as a moving MG pillbox but that may be gamey.

[ May 28, 2003, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Warmaker ]

And sometimes it will result in "gun damage", disabling the gun. Sometimes it will not do anything. Whether it penetrates or not, it can take out the gun.

The smaller the caliber of the shot, the less likely it is to do significant damage, but even a popgun can disable the gun of a Tiger from time to time.

The same thing can happen with track hits, except those immobilize instead of taking out the gun. If both happen to the same vehicle, the crew will usually bail out.

Having everybody and his brother fire at the same thick vehicle, hoping for gun and track hits to wreck it even without penetrating, is a regular tactic, called "hail fire".

Sometimes gun hits disable all the tanks guns as well. I had a T-34/85 take a "gun hit" and none of the guns worked after that. No crew casualties, but not the main, co-ax, or hull mgs fired after that (and it lived another 30mins with lots of chances to fire).

Robohn

In actual terms of what the "gun hit" represents it can be a number of things. It can be actual damage to the gun itself, broken barrel or a penetration into the breach block for example, or it can be a hit that dislodges the gun from its mount or jams it into an inoperable position.

It could also mean damage to things other than the gun itself. A hit to the sighting optics or one that happens to disconnect the firing mechanism.

There are lots of ways to cause damage to a combat vehicle, many of which have little or no outward sign (i.e. the AH64 that was shown on Iraqi TV).

I have a picture somewhere of a KV-2 with a small hole in the barrel about half way along its length - IIRC the hole is 20 or maybe 37mm calibre, and there's an "exit wound" on the other side....and a floozy sitting on the top of the tank!! lol

It's in a book titled "Soviet Panzers" that's mostly German shots of KO'ed Sov tanks, including a rather memoralbe but gruesome tableau including a burned out T28 with a MG turret blown off and the unfortunate gunner protruding half way out the hole with his right arm missing (ripped/blown off) and he's rather scorched - ie black from the fire redface.gifredface.gif

Originally posted by Warmaker:

For CM, the worse case "Gun Hit" would make the main gun unusable. MG's, including the coax MG, would still be useable.

No, in CM the coax is always disabled along with the main gun.

The hull MG is supposed to continue to work, but I have yet to see one fire in CMBB after gun damage (I certainly did in CMBO).

Originally posted by redwolf:

The hull MG is supposed to continue to work, but I have yet to see one fire in CMBB after gun damage (I certainly did in CMBO).

This happened to me in a recent PBEM.

My T-34 was "gun damaged" by an errant mortar round, I was able to use the hull MG only after that. I don't necessarily see this as *gamey*!

This was the only AFV provided by the designer, and it was in a *life or death* situation. I'd call this real life drama rather than gamey.

KC

Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

I have a picture somewhere of a KV-2 with a small hole in the barrel about half way along its length - IIRC the hole is 20 or maybe 37mm calibre, and there's an "exit wound" on the other side....and a floozy sitting on the top of the tank!! lol

It's in a book titled "Soviet Panzers" that's mostly German shots of KO'ed Sov tanks...

I recently read a book "Panzer Aces" about various German accounts of the war, and IIRC Hans Blix was driving in a PzIII in the opening phase of Barbarossa and had a run-in with a KV-2 in a town. He had his gunner aim for the enemy gun and put a hole though it. I wonder if that's the pic... (I think in the book there was a similar pic of the KV-2, sans the dame)

Stalin's Organ writes:

"...and a floozy sitting on the top of the tank!! lol"

I've seen the same picture. I believe that's THE famous KV-2 that held up an entire Division until an 88 could be brought forward. Lots of propaganda pictures were taken of that thing. I've seen long shots of that vehicle, close-ups, troops around that vehicle, officers on that vehicle... and a floozy in a fur coat!