Hi, I'm new.

I've only played the demo, and I'll buy the game soon.

I usually only play WWIIOL, and CS to cool off. I collect 1/6th figs (new to that too ;) ) and research AFVs and weapons of war. I'm 13 years of age and live on Eglin AFB.

I just beat the demo tutorial playing as the Germans (admittedly, 200% play balance :I) and am thrilled with the realism.

doh! I forgot my question.

Has anyone beat the demo tutorial with no play balance?

I've come close, knocking out one T-34 and panicking the other one and assaulting it with inf. But the Russian hordes of inf and that 5cm mortar tear me apart.

Are there any altered scenarios for the demo?

There are no other demo scenarios. The CMBB demo scenarios are meant to show the difference between CMBB and CMBO so they aren't the best for new players. Try the CMBO demo (although its older and not as good graphics) if you haven't already, because they are far more replayable. Have you tried using your own artillery btw? It helps to some dagree.

[ July 11, 2003, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

welcome to the game and the forum youngster! you'll have a great time playing the game no doubt! have you ordered the full game yet? at your age, that might be a trick i suppose, but if you have the means, you won't regret it! you'll also find that most of the members are a year or 2 older than you, but you're welcome here just the same. love to see fresh blood enjoying a "real" man's game! lol..

anyway, to answer your question, and i'm assuming you're talking about the yelnia scenario, yep it's a toughie. especially as the german. i surrendered a couple of times trying that one from the german side. i'll leave it up to some of the good players to help you out, but it is very possible to win without giving yourself a handicap. just keep trying and read the forums. you'll learn a lot from these guys!

The Yelnia stare, I just got done playing that in the BB demo as the germans. Damn was that hard! I only ever managed to take out two tanks, one for each anti tank gun that then got knocked out. It was basically a tough fight to hold back the advancing hoarde, but managed to hold out until like 46 turns, which gave me a 'tactical' victory at 68% to 42% or something win percentage in my favor.

I havn't gotten my mother to order it yet, but I said soon because the 17th is my birthdate. My mom will order it, there aren't many rules around the house.

About the demo, I meant the tutorial. The one where you only have one AT gun without play balance.

Welcome Denwad. As previously mentioned the demos aren't that great. In fact, I found them darn near impossible. The scenarios that come with the game are much better. And if you don't like those you can create new ones to your hearts content.

I hope you enjoy your new time-suck...er, game..tactical simulation...flying karate monkey car game...or whatever you call it. :D

Originally posted by Denwad:

...live on Eglin AFB.

Yeah? I grew up in that part of the country, Mobile, Alabama, and spent a fair amount of time in the Florida Panhandle. Watched the Blue Angels put on a show in Pensacola once. Ah, the memories.

As for the tutorial, I think it was written to be played from the Soviet side. If you are going to play it from the German side, you might give yourself something like a +25% edge until you get the hang of it and then try it as written.

Michael

I havn't gotten my mother to order it yet, but I said soon because the 17th is my birthdate. My mom will order it, there aren't many rules around the house.

About the demo, I meant the tutorial. The one where you only have one AT gun without play balance.

You're supposed to play that one as the Soviets, so that goes a fair way to explaining why you're finding it so difficult as the Germans. So it's not really built to be an easy win for the Germans.

Denwad:

You are too young to be mixing with grumpy old men talking macho about APBC vs APC rounds or comparing Soviet Breakthru Doctrine vs German Blitzkrieg tactics.

Go and hang out with normal people your age group or else your family, peers and friends will look at you funny very quickly. "No Mum, SPR got it wrong, The Tiger tanks portrayed in the movie are actually Soviet T-34s. You could tell by looking at their wheels. Real Tigers had interleaved wheels. These Tigers clearly had the T-34 suspension. "

you have been warned!

You warn me too late, when I first saw SPR I knew something was wrong with the running gear. I though it was a dressed up T-54/55.

Heck, I'm a guy that belives that one lucky sherman with the right ammo can take out a Tiger frontally.

Yes, it's called the Firefly.

I meant a normal sherman with APFSDS.

I just love small caliber AT guns, too bad their small diameter leaves it little chance of knocking out a tank if it penetrates. You should try to take out a PzIIIH with a Sa Mle 1934 from the front, it's almost impossible.

Welcome Denwad.

Ah....years from now you will think to yourself: "Christ!! I really wasted a lot of time with all that military stuff!" I did. I spent a happy decade free of militaria. Then I bumped into Combat Mission.

Oh the fall.

Just pray you discover girls early. Alas, your chances in that direction are NOT something that CM will enhance. Naughty CM!! Bad bad computer game.

Originally posted by HarryInk:

Welcome Denwad.

Just pray you discover girls early. Alas, your chances in that direction are NOT something that CM will enhance. Naughty CM!! Bad bad computer game.

nah, if cm had been around 30 years ago, the great philosopher, tom t hall, would've been singing about faster horses, older whiskey, combat mission, and more money. or perhaps old dogs, combat mission, and watermelon wine... ;)

Originally posted by zukkov:

you'll have a great time playing the game no doubt! have you ordered the full game yet? at your age, that might be a trick i suppose, but if you have the means, you won't regret it!

Tsk tsk, peddling crack to the youngsters. What's this forum coming to..? smile.gif

I meant a normal sherman with APFSDS.

Alright, kid! The gloves are coming off! Now yer gonna find out what this board is really all about!

;)

Seriously, the Sherman never had APFSDS...at least until the Israelis got ahold of it. In fact, I don't think anybody had APFSDS until, what, the late '60s (when did the Sovs start using it? I know they had it by the time of the Yom Kippur war).

And only the Firefly had APDS as far as I know.

Michael

Originally posted by HarryInk:

Just pray you discover girls early. Alas, your chances in that direction are NOT something that CM will enhance.

Just think of it as the best birth control device known to man. The best birth control device known to woman is of course the headache.

Michael

Originally posted by Joques:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by zukkov:

you'll have a great time playing the game no doubt! have you ordered the full game yet? at your age, that might be a trick i suppose, but if you have the means, you won't regret it!

Tsk tsk, peddling crack to the youngsters. What's this forum coming to..? smile.gif </font>

They convinced me to buy this game too. I was even warned once to run for it. I couldn't resist. The game is great, people friendly, on the other hand...I'm 16 and I'm not a potential grog. I'm a full blown numskull. You name it, I've forgotten it. Some people learn vocabulary and new things. I forget things instead of learning them.