MikeyD Panther W.I.P.

Because David I asked, here's my suspension progress.

An evening's work (play). Early and late Panther drive sprockets. I've got to admit it wasn't til 8pm yesterday that I realised there even WAS an early and late Panther drive sprocket! Apparently the later type had a reinforced edge to help reduce tooth breakage, and the middle cap thingy (not its official name) looks uparmored. There's apparently also a late larger Panther G rear idler out there that I'm going to have to look into.

I've got to admit, I do enjoy doin' drive sprocket art smile.gif

SuspensionWIP.jpg?t=1168007645

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MikeyD,

Man I am really looking forward to these. I am also looking forward to seeing good looking spare tracks hanging from the turrent. I found that getting the proportions right was a bitch. Most of the previous attempts make the links too big when compared to the ones hanging from the chassis sides and from the ones on the rolling gear. Your WIP ones look very promising.

Keep up the great work and please keep us posted.

DavidI

PS. As I wrote this I kept scrolling up to look at your new WIP and then back down to what I was typing and all I could think of was "Wow"!

DI

I gotta admit I'm saying 'Wow', myself. I was positive the Panther mod project would have the phrase 'crash & burn' scrawled across it - written in MY blood! The idea that doing the tracks gave me no problems absolutely amazes me. As a matter of fact, it's been going a bit TOO smoothly. I'm half-expecting my computer to crash or my internet access to go away. Between now and when the mods are uploaded I'm looking both ways before crossing the street! :eek:

Small update to feed David I's addicition.

I'm done with the plain yellow version (minus 'decals').

I pulled out my old 'How to Camou' tutorial PDF and am methodically following my own advice on coloring. I still don't know what camou scheme I'm going to shoot for. And some threatened weekend work might delay the whole project at bit.

Patience patience.

Oh boy - you make so sexy Mods!

(...I really hope my wife doesn't read the stuff I post here...)

Could you perhaps give a * short * description how to MOD a - let's say - Panzer II C to look like your Panzer IIIs / IVs ?

I mean - I'd like to Mod a Panzer II C to have the same colour of grey like your Panzer IIIs / IVs...

I now have Paint Shop Pro 7 - but I dunno how to use it to produce the desired colour - is there a way to "copy" your dusty-grey layer over a Panzer II C ?

Should I use a "Modder's series" Panzer II C to begin with ? Would it be easier ?

Thank you again for all your effort and your great work !

Greetings, Hetzer38.

Ooooh, Greys are a B-I-T-C-H to get right, and I'm not entirely convinced I got the technique down. The problem is at least with my graphics card a light shade grey can look completely different from a dark shade of the same color! Oh, the headaches I had over that.

If you look up my camouflage tutorial there should be a jpeg file with color swatches in it. I think (I can't quite remember) there's a grey swatch in there. Photoshop lets you layer the file, fill one layer with color, then give that layer a 'color' or hue' designation so the lower layers come up but in the upper layer color. Anything like that in Paint Shop Pro? Anybody know?