New Improved Nashorn MOD Preview--Now with 30% MORE Eye-Candy!

Some more "in progress" shots of the Nashorn. Still needs some detail work, and I'm not quite satisfied with the road wheels, but it's on the way. Here is has a tricolor camo pattern and dirt, as well as wires stretched across the hull for use in attaching foliage. Thanks, MikeT, for talking me into adding it. I didn't think it would look good at first, but it's very convincing in-game. smile.gif

nashorn1.jpg

Added spare track links to the front lower hull and a cast shadow from the gun.

nashorn2.jpg

nashorn3.jpg

Here is it in its Hummel version. The details on this mod follow the Nashorn more than the Hummel, but not to the point where the Hummel looks odd.

I initially thought I would leave the interior kind of plain, since nobody ever looks inside anyhow. Unfortunately, I started screwing around with it and this happened:

top_view.jpg

[Edited to update and add more eye-candy smile.gif ]

[ March 22, 2003, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: AndrewTF ]

Originally posted by MikeT:

Oh, I want this!.

Hey, did you try an option for the rear doors to be open??

Wouldn't mind the kill rings to be optional as well.

MikeT

Mike

The kill rings and wire will be optional. I tried to make the back door open, but it won't work, as the inner wall of the fighting compartment is covered by one of the same gray BMPs that color the ends of the gun pieces, so it doesn't show as transparent, but gray instead :(

Interesting idea, though.

Originally posted by AndrewTF:

...I'm not quite satisfied with the road wheels, but it's on the way...

Statements like that amaze me. smile.gif I look at these pictures and think "Awesome". The fact that you modders are so dedicated to detail is incredible. Thanks for the excellent work you do. Looks fantastic!

Originally posted by AndrewTF:

Some more "in progress" shots of the Nashorn. Still needs some detail work, and I'm not quite satisfied with the road wheels, but it's on the way.

Andrew,

Looks great as usual. One question about the roadwheels. Aren't the highlights backwards? Most vehicles are drawn assuming the light is coming from the front.

Just an observation.

Gordon

Originally posted by Gordon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by AndrewTF:

Some more "in progress" shots of the Nashorn. Still needs some detail work, and I'm not quite satisfied with the road wheels, but it's on the way.

Andrew,

Looks great as usual. One question about the roadwheels. Aren't the highlights backwards? Most vehicles are drawn assuming the light is coming from the front.

Just an observation.

Gordon </font>

Andrew, hard to see clearly but remember AP rounds are stored in metal cylinders but HE rounds are stored in wood boxes. The book I scanned the pics I sent you mentioned that HE rounds were highly prized since the crew would burn the wood crates for heat!

MikeT

You're right--the AP rounds are stored in metal cylinders that look kinda like big long German gas-mask canisters.

I did the wooden crates only as I saw a pic of the interior of a Nashorn where the floor was basically covered with these crates, and thought it could look pretty convincing as a flat 2D image. I might add the cylinders, but only if they look ok.

The two rectangular dealies on either side of the fighting compartment store additional rounds.

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

Looks great, but don't forget to include alternative BMP's for the people who want the skins without any numbers or group insignias, AndrewTF. ;)

The mod will make most of the eye-candy optional. I will be releasing a basic "dunkelgelb" version minus dirt, camo, wire and other geegaws for modders to color as they see fit. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

It's coming! Nearly there! I'm juggling three different freelance design jobs pluse work right now so it's been slow going.

But since I'm home from work today with an injured ankle maybe I'll finish it now... especially since I spent all that time and energy hobbling downstairs to my studio.

:D