SMG platoons-excellence for defense

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumors of my men's ale swilling have been greatly exaggerated. First, it is lager. Second, they drink it very carefully, so as not to spill any. And they can still hit the dumb Russian peasants floundering out in the open snow, even at 500 meters.

Why the poor things listen to their commissars when they tell them to do such things is what none of us can understand. We assume it has something to do vodka, or perhaps with the glorified cap pistols the ones that can actually read seem to carry.

[ October 16, 2003, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: JasonC ]

For those who don't get the byplay, in Gaylord's game German MGs (me) hosed down some Russian infantry advancing in the snow on the German left for the first 2 minutes. In the second, a Russian gun replied with half a dozen rounds. A few rounds of smoke have also popped on the central hill.

Meanwhile in my game with Mike, German infantry are now established in several major town buildings, in platoon strength in each and in company strength overall. The firefight continues, now spreading to close range, across some streets, in addition to the previous distance work. Past the half way mark now, giving orders for turn 11.

I'll try and update the site tomorrow; perhaps add a movie file or two for people to download and watch. Some tough choices to make. This is the tough part, I think, since this was to be a lesson in SMGs at close range and I really haven't seen any yet. I have half a town to fight through and 9 turns to do it in! Crossing the streets may yet prove to be fatal...

Incidentally, not a single one of my units has registered a confirmed kill yet - which isn't so unusual, but now that I am at close quarters (ask Lorki about my hospitality in the Tea Room) I hope to be able to verify a body count...

Turn 11 with Mike - The Germans on my right meet the PPsHs for the first time in the battle. Yes Virginia, for the whole first half they didn't utter a peep, and so no they weren't suppressed. Two units annihilated, despite making it into heavy building cover. Seems there was somebody "home" already...

Originally posted by JasonC:

Turn 11 with Mike - The Germans on my right meet the PPsHs for the first time in the battle. Yes Virginia, for the whole first half they didn't utter a peep, and so no they weren't suppressed. Two units annihilated, despite making it into heavy building cover. Seems there was somebody "home" already...

GAHHH I haven't seen the movie yet but I rather suspected this at some point. I thought the SMGs might be further into the town, actually. Shall be treading very carefully after this - if anyone is left...

On his right, I has ASSAULTed two of my half squads at what I thought was a suppressed solo MG position, I think 9 men total, so this may not be a total disaster (put the mice away, Terence!) but shall have to watch the movie to be sure...

Originally posted by xerxes:

Methinks these are a tad unbalanced battles.

Not really, though I think the tactical problems may be a bit sticky. I haven't mentioned this to Jason yet, but I would be interested in switching sides once we've done and seeing how we would handle the reverse roles; same terrain for sure, perhaps same forces, or choice of new ones?

Certainly new force selection, if you want reverse battles. I can't be responsible for your own choices of units, and must be able to try my own tactical schemes.

As for balance, my point was to show that SMGs are strong on defense, not to show that attacking them is easy. Others are defending the proposition that they have exploitable drawbacks.

Speaking of which, Gaylord clearly believes in overwatch and came much better prepared than Mike for the ranged portion of our fight. So far he was used an HE chucker gun, a mortar, HMGs, and now a light AA piece. 3 turns have elapsed.

Mike seems to have taken mostly infantry and tried to accomplish the approach using FO smoke rather than direct fire heavy weapons. Gaylord definitely has different ideas.

"at what I thought was a suppressed solo MG position"

To tell the truth, at one time it was a suppressed solo MG position. But it took you so long to assault it the SMG boys got there first. They've been waiting for you for several minutes.

:)

Morale of the story - even one's weaknesses can be turned to advantage - as bait.

[ October 16, 2003, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: JasonC ]

I am now prepared for a "turnabout" with Mike if he wants one after our current game.

And now I have decided how I'd play the Russians in my fight with Gaylord too.

Incidentally, his Sturm just came back for its rocket pass. Going to turn 7...

[ October 16, 2003, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: JasonC ]

The question was to Dorosh, but I think I can answer it. Earlier, the Germans had been using half squads to cross open ground areas under observation by a modest number of Russian MGs. The idea being to split their fire, and to limit the number of men pinned in the open by it.

The actual assault was aimed at one of these MGs. He believed it to be suppressed by his own fire - he had a platoon's worth of infantry firing at it from about 150 yards, plus long range fire from an HMG or two. His assaulters were in the next building, within 20m but without immediate LOS. Between was a thin strip of open, 6-8m wide, before making it into the building with the MG.

He risked the MG not being suppressed at the moment he crossed into this open area. I suspect he did not want one lucky shot delivered at exactly that time to stop the assault. Instead he hoped at least one half squad would make it into the same building, and (if ranged fire hadn't pinned it already) pin the MG with grenades.

What happened instead is there were Russian SMGers waiting farther back inside the same large stone building as the MG. So far back in, they took none of the long ranged fire directed at the front corner, and there was no LOS to the assault building. There was LOS to the open ground strip. What then happened is some of the Germans made it into the building, but were shot up there by the SMGs, panicked, and tried to withdraw. They were finished off in the open strip.

As for the Russian gun, it has fired all of once. Since I don't know the exact level of info Dorosh has about it I will not say more.