SMG platoons-excellence for defense

One of the downsides of SMG squad is very limited amount of ammunition...and the rate they burn through their ammo. Range disadvantage can be adressed even with LMG team added, but HMG (as suggested) is better. IMHO, SMG squads are bit of "one-shot-wonders" who need to have fast and decisive engagements. Any drawn-out firefight will give them big trouble compared to slower-firing squads.

Cheers,

M.S.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SMGs with low ammo in close (<40m) will still tear a hole in any squishies that get in their way. The key is to have the SMGs close enough that they will continue to fire on low ammo.

If SMGs can avoid HE fire, it's guaranteed to become a bloody mess evicting them.

The Germans have reached the obvious "pit" in the center, and slightly "above" on Mike's last overhead map. Strung about a bit front to back - some near the wood outbuildings of the town, some a good 100-150m farther. Gobs of mortar smoke between that area and the town proper. A few Russian MGs chattering away despite the smoke.

Smoke clearing. Various groups of Jerries made it to various bits of cover. Some still in the open.

Might be helping him, but for the benefit of the audience, from "top" to "bottom" -

About a platoon at the wood fence c. 100m shy of the main town area, near the "top" of the map as Mike has shown it. Some on their bellies, some not.

Another platoon's worth split between crawlers who've nearly made the lone scattered tree tile 40-60m below the fence area and in the tall wooden building a little farther back.

Stragglers and/or heavy weapons way back by the previous buildings, crawling in the open only 60m from the start line. Half a platoon to a platoon's worth.

More than a platoon, perhaps fully two, in the "rough road" at the base of the "well" in the center.

Another platoon or so advanced through the church on the "bottom" half of the map, by now farther on.

A handful of overwatchers back by the large group of buildings clear back in the German set up area on the bottom quarter of the map. One took fire and crawled back into the buildings.

Overall, I expect on the order of 200 infantry, a regular company and added 4th platoon, regular or pioneers. I estimate the smoke was 2/3rds of a 6 tube 81mm module, leaving him 1 minute of good smoke from that source.

Probably 105mm HE support in addition, as yet unused (unless he took 5 infantry platoons). Just estimating the force, understand, haven't actually seen evidence.

Other than the mortar smoke, not a shot fired by the Jerries yet. By that expenditure he did the "distant" portion of his approach march, though with some disorganization and straggling as a result of MG harassing fire.

Probably nothing serious, just various folks in less than perfect places as the smoke dissipates.

[ October 13, 2003, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: JasonC ]

I think it is far too early to be talking "sticky". We have no idea if these battles will turn out to be interesting, yet.

On better graphics, yes that'd be nice. (I'm no whiz at that subject, incidentally). But we can't show you everything while it is happening, though, since we can't exactly show each other everything we can see.

Originally posted by JasonC:

Smoke clearing. Various groups of Jerries made it to various bits of cover. Some still in the open.

Might be helping him, but for the benefit of the audience, from "top" to "bottom" -

About a platoon at the wood fence c. 100m shy of the main town area, near the "top" of the map as Mike has shown it. Some on their bellies, some not.

Another platoon's worth split between crawlers who've nearly made the lone scattered tree tile 40-60m below the fence area and in the tall wooden building a little farther back.

Stragglers and/or heavy weapons way back by the previous buildings, crawling in the open only 60m from the start line. Half a platoon to a platoon's worth.

More than a platoon, perhaps fully two, in the "rough road" at the base of the "well" in the center.

Another platoon or so advanced through the church on the "bottom" half of the map, by now farther on.

A handful of overwatchers back by the large group of buildings clear back in the German set up area on the bottom quarter of the map. One took fire and crawled back into the buildings.

Overall, I expect on the order of 200 infantry, a regular company and added 4th platoon, regular or pioneers. I estimate the smoke was 2/3rds of a 6 tube 81mm module, leaving him 1 minute of good smoke from that source.

Probably 105mm HE support in addition, as yet unused (unless he took 5 infantry platoons). Just estimating the force, understand, haven't actually seen evidence.

Other than the mortar smoke, not a shot fired by the Jerries yet. By that expenditure he did the "distant" portion of his approach march, though with some disorganization and straggling as a result of MG harassing fire.

Probably nothing serious, just various folks in less than perfect places as the smoke dissipates.

I can't think of anyone I would trust more than JasonC not to cheat, so I am going to post my purchases and AAR for turns 1-3 here. Please don't post details to this thread until after the game (we obviously don't want Jason reading them til later), but I think people may find it interesting to compare Jason's comments above to "reality."

http://members.shaw.ca/grossdeutschland/cawley/aarcawley.htm

No lookee, go ahead.

In our fight, smoke fully cleared. Germans firing back now with half a dozen shooters - HMG from a set up building upper story (500m away), a couple of platoons of infantry at ranges up to 350m. Platoon at the fence motionless. Single units working forward elsewhere. Most have reached cover - trees, wood buildings, rough - 25% exposed stuff - 100-150m from the town.

Originally posted by Adam_L:

Awesome job with the site. Maybe more work than you needed to do, but it is appreciated. My only disappointment is that you guys are using FULL FOW and not EXTREME.

Oops. We probably are using Extreme, no? I forgot the different names and thought Full was the highest level? Jason picked the FOW setting - I assume it is extreme?

I certainly thought I set it to "extreme", which is what I essentially always use.

Tons of German fire by now. Units advancing here and there. One from the fence platoon has moved forward, the rest haven't. Several have reached buildings just at the edge of town in the center. Overall, forces gathering at the edge of town, worming their way in, under the cover of heavy small arms fire.